What do Nepenthes taste like?

Loakesy

Sorry!!! I couldn't resist this one!

I bought a N. alata on saturday, and I read the label again today and discovered this important notice in the smallprint:

Intended for decorative purposes, not for consumption.

:D Is it just me.............? :D

Hi,

I have not tasted any nepenthes pitcher. But I don't think it is any worst than those things they ask you to eat in AXN Fear Factor. Here's an early photo by Andreas Wistuba showing guides cooking rice in veitchii pitchers.

http://www.omnisterra.com/botany/cp/pictur...penthe/0095.htm

In Malaysia, I have heard of locals taking them as medicine. In one case, a Chinese medicine man had recommended the pitcher as a cure for a form of cancer. And why not, if western medicine fails you. I have also seen a few nepenthes in a nursery specializing in medicinal herbs.

regards

Choong

the nectar of the pitchers tastes like very mild syrup. couldn't resist tasteing a drop :) .

and for the bugs, they taste REALLY good. yes, you should really try some. go on, try it ;) . Zongyi

disclaimer: may not taste as good as stated...

You could make a nice meal out of a stuffed N. rajah pitcher! A little diced VFT and shredded Sarra pitcher, with a pinch or two of D. capensis, seasoned with the copious Sarra pollen and capensis seed ( to taste). Baked in the hot house at 34C for a fortnight and served with a salad of mixed Sundew 'leaves' :-)

Guest Aidan
...couldn't resist tasting a drop.

Zongyi - I'm sure it tasted good to you, as it did to the insects that got to it before you did. Now imagine what they were feeding on and paddling their little feet in before they reached your plant!

Yum!!! :toilet: :vomit: :toilet:

If I'm not mistaking, the indonesian natives used to harvest unopened large pitchers, open them, fill it with rice and then cook the whole thing.

Apparently the sterile pitcher-fluids added a bit of flavour to the meal. As I recall, N. maxima where preferred pitchers.

Any kitchen princesses with a Blue Peter badge ?

Frederick said:

Any kitchen princesses with a Blue Peter badge ?

That's sexist, that is :D

I do most of the cooking in my house, and I ain't no Princess, see!

I can't get a Tiara to fit, let alone a crown. :D:D

What is it with this forum??? every time I think of something I log on and someone else has just started the thread....

Today I was bored and so started musing over life, the universe and c.p's and ended up wondering if anyone had tried eating them..it seems they have :D

Tomorrow I shall be contemplating whether the lunar cycle affects c.p's, do they get more aggressive as the full moon approaches??? (hah beat you all to that one :D )

cheers

...couldn't resist tasting a drop.

Zongyi - I'm sure it tasted good to you, as it did to the insects that got to it before you did. Now imagine what they were feeding on and paddling their little feet in before they reached your plant!

Yum!!! :toilet: :vomit: :toilet:

lol, but you'd think i would have thought of that already ;) . it was a newly opened ventricosa pitcher, in a terraium and in the middle of winter. dont think any bugs would be visiting anytime around there :) . but then again, it dosn't matter as i have ate bugs before (it was candy) :D . Zongyi

I have tasted the liquid from quite few different kinds of Neps. Some, like gracilis and singalana, are very watery and have almost no taste and aside from not wanting to destroy perfectly good pitchers I have no objection to drinking the liquid. Rafflesiana on the other hand has a fairly strong herbal taste that I don't like much and I prefer not to drink it.

I wouldn't try any of the thick ones like inermis either, be like swallowing an oyster I imagine. YECHH

Cheers, Troy.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest leafedwellsofwater

I think the label is intended towards their digestive juices.

A friend of mine thought it would be cool in a drunken moment to chug the pitcher juice from my two and a half year old Nepenthes 'Gentle'. Mind you, the pitchers are 13" tall on average. That's a lot of fluid.

He found himself on the floor, hallucinating and far more disoriented than before. I was baffled but not surprised, he got what he deserved.

Lol... Thats 'Tats and Neeps' translation 'Mashed Potatoes and mashed Swede (Swedish Turnip)'

Best served with piping hot Hoggis and a wee dram o' the golden nectar of the Glens.