Shoulda repotted last year (big picture alert)

BenScoobert

• 3 weeks later...
As a lesson to all of you, don't put off your repotting!!!

I got 12 from this in the end

CIMG1625.JPG

Wow!!!! That's a super healthy Cobra, despite it needing dividing and transplanting :wink:

I wish Tonia my darling :JC_cupidboy: Cobra Plant could grow like that...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

6 of the refugees from the cluster, 2 months later

P5292878.gif

Looks a lot neater( Not that it looked bad before)......Do you have to put ice or do you water it with cold RO water during the hotter months??? How do you cool the roots down??

Edited by dchasselblad74

Looks a lot neater( Not that it looked bad before)......Do you have to put ice or do you water it with cold RO water during the hotter months??? How do you cool the roots down??

I don't do anything other than keep the pots sat in rainwater. My theory is, my greenhouse is a lean-to on an East facing wall, so they don't get the hotter afternoon sun, and I think this is why they seem to thrive.

Also I live in England hardiness zone 7 on the edge of the pennines, which makes it a little cooler here.

Do you have to put ice or do you water it with cold RO water during the hotter months??? How do you cool the roots down??

LOL, hot summer months? :sarcastic_hand: I think the record high temperature recorded where I live was around 32C, with an overall average of 18C in summer. Also, the sun isn't so strong this far north, so that helps too. Haha, we can live the Darlingtonia dream over here, we just forfeit any real summer warmth :flag_of_truce:

• Like 1

LOL, hot summer months? :sarcastic_hand: I think the record high temperature recorded where I live was around 32C, with an overall average of 18C in summer. Also, the sun isn't so strong this far north, so that helps too. Haha, we can live the Darlingtonia dream over here, we just forfeit any real summer warmth :flag_of_truce:

Tis true, my highest recorded INSIDE the greenhouse is 42c, lowest -1.2c

WOW!!!! I wish your zone is my zone then :red33: Cause our Chicago summers are brutal!! Just today it was 90 Degrees Farenheit....Thats warm for my Helis and Darlingtonias and Highland Neps that I keep outside during the cooler spring weeks..

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi Ben,

I'm so envious of your cobras, I can't seem to get mine to last through the autumn months where our Perth weather fluctuates between low 20s and high 30 deg C. It's the large temp fluctuations at this time of year they seem to hate so much.

I get them to live through summer ok, even though they look pretty rough and ragged but as soon as autumn swings round they seem to fall over pretty quickly.

Why is it always the plants we can't grow which are the ones we love more than the rest????

Kind regards,

Dave.

Hi Ben,

I'm so envious of your cobras, I can't seem to get mine to last through the autumn months where our Perth weather fluctuates between low 20s and high 30 deg C. It's the large temp fluctuations at this time of year they seem to hate so much.

I get them to live through summer ok, even though they look pretty rough and ragged but as soon as autumn swings round they seem to fall over pretty quickly.

Why is it always the plants we can't grow which are the ones we love more than the rest????

Kind regards,

Dave.

Do your plants actually die in autumn? Mine lose a few pitchers, but spring revives them with bigger growth than the previous year.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...
This year, rather than repotting and splitting the CD, I'll be just moving them into huge pots do do their thing. If anyone wants a runner from them then pipe up, I'm sure there will be a few spare.
They're pretty hardy, the window basket one has been outside 2 years.

2016 03 17 16.07.47 resized

2016 03 17 16.07.41 cropped

2016 03 17 16.07.58 resized

• Like 1

I just want to say a huge THANK YOU to Ben! He was passing this way, and took the time to drop off some plants t me this morning. I am now the proud owner of some superb looking Darlings!

Truly one of the Good Guys around here  :give_rose:

Thanks again Ben