CPS committee changes debate

Vic2

So basically, if things don't start to improve, I won't be renewing my membership in 2012.
Given the lack of 'value' offered to eMembers, you will not be the only one.

Guys,

I know it's pretty incredible coming from me, but IMHO please stay with the Society; all that is needed is effective change at the top, for things to get better in the CPS. It could become a powerful, proactive force for the good of CP's and growers in the UK, like the ICPS over the other side of the pond, and Carnivora closer to home.

Again IMHO, just convince Tim and Dennis to stand for Chairman and Vice-Chairman and Trustees at the AGM - with a secret ballot of the entire membership for individual posts, so no-one gets embarrassed or left out - and the improvements we all want will start.

(Don't worry - there's no way on this Earth that they'll let me back in!!) :D

Look-on-the-Bright-Side of Letchworth

P.S.

I still think Flick is an excellent Treasurer and a babe... :wink: He's a lucky guy, Flick!

Edited by Vic2

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a thought, but have CPS committee thought about asking the forum members here for some help with design and content on the website. I know that one forum member is a professional graphics artist and there are several other talented artist. Some of us have websites too, so there is some coding experience. If others are willing to get involved in design and coding then perhaps a thread could be started on CPUK for suggestions on content and features. For instance, you could allow Facebook login to certain areas of the website, encouraging people to post links on their wall which might lead to new members through increased awareness. Or what about an open area where people can submit content, e.g. a blog. If the CPS could get a good 'storefront' then this might help attract new members and in turn drive changes within the organisation.

I agree with a lot of what others including Phil have said. Not knowing the current inner workings of the committee, apart from Vic2's accounts, it is difficult to make a judgement. All we see are the products of the committee, so a programme of meetings, events, website, seedbank, Journal etc. On the whole, these products have not changed much to the outside viewer over the last several years, seedbank is much improved (well done Sheila!).

Communication has always been an issue. E-mail is supposed to make things quicker, but it does not always. I sometimes forward interesting bits of information on to committee members, via the website links, but never sure if they have got them. For example, I thought that the CPS should register as a charity with eBay and allow people to donate a proportion of their auctions via their eBay sales... I know I would... and forwarded details to the committee, never sure they got it, the CPS remains unregistered.

Many of the committee have no Internet presence, I would expect most of the committee to be registered on the forum and be able to contribute and put forward views on behalf of the committee. If not, why not? Presence is important, especially the chairman.

Website is bad, and I agree puts people off. A bad website can do more harm than good. This really is an area where we have to improve.

Would I leave the society? No, I think that change is always best done from within, much more positive and likely to succeed. We should continue to be members and fund the society, and push for positive changes where we think they are required. The seedbank is a good example, where concerted pressure from members resulted in a vast improvement.

Remember we have an AGM, with opportunities for members to voice concerns and put forward proposals; I don't think this mechanism is used as much as it should be. If you don't think that Steve is doing a good job, then get someone to propose you as chairman and see if you can do a better job! (except Vic2 of course, you're barred :D )

I think the phrase is "stand up and be counted"...

Edited by gardenofeden

Stephen, how do we push through change when it appears that no one is listening? As has been pointed out by yourself and others, communication is poor and there is rarely any indication that anyone is listening. I can never make the AGM, as I supsect is the case for many others, so it's hard to have a voice when it appears that no one can hear you or is listening. I have emailed committee members in the past only to receive slow, no or 'that's the way it is' replies. I note that thus far no members of the committee have replied in this thread since others than Vic have commented, so it will be interesting to see if we do get a reponse and whether it is proactive.

As Andy has asked, I'll add my opinions.

I don't know anything about the inside workings of the CPS so don't know if what Vic says is true or not. Nor do I intend to take side on the Vic verses CPS issues - I suspect there are faults on both sides.

But I do consider that there are long standing problems with the CPS. The CPS is very bad at passing on information (often important info) to it's members, and often only does so once a thread appears on here asking what is going on. Even then, the info goes on here, but not their web site - which is where it should be!

For many years, their web site has been effectively dead and virtually always long out dated info is on it. The info on the home page about "Planta Carnivora - Newsletter and Journal of the CPS" is all about the problems with the Spring 2010 edition and expected delays with the Autumn one - Nothing about what is happening with this Springs edition. Yes I know Tim has told us on here - but why nothing on the CPS web site ??

Like wise with the EEE this should be a really BIG DEAL, but with the exception of a couple of lines mentioning the EEE blog, there is nothing about it and no link to the EEE web site. Given how long it is likely to be before the UK holds this again, there should be no way that a casual visitor to the CPS web site can leave without knowing ALL about it.

I feel that rather than attract new members, the CPS web site actual puts off members.

I know Tim is trying really hard to sort out and improve the CPS publications and I do not attach any blame for problems on him - but sometimes using the cheapest quote or 'friends' to do something, just causes more problems than it is worth. If you feel someone is 'doing you a favour' it is hard to push them or complain about their lack of progress. I suspect Tim is even more frustrated with the continual delays than I am.

So basically, if things don't start to improve, I won't be renewing my membership in 2012.

and that is ALL I am going to say on this matter.

EDIT - I took so long to carefully write this, that I now see I'm not the only one with complaints about communications and the outdated web site.

Dear all

Lots of promotion is going on re the EEE and we expect around 10,000 people to visit the Zoo on each day. Unfortunately a lot of this is not visible, though I hope the Blog is seen as something positive. Since doing the CSP Blog we've had 2200 hits and more content is to be added too. We will also be doing some media stuff at the right time.

There is an update pending on the EEE for the CPS Website. I appreciate your kind words Phil and what others have said in the past, but just want to say I'm not blameless and will do my best to plug anything I'm behind in.

I've brought forward my side by six weeks re the Journal to give our Graphic Designer more time and take risk out of delays. Once I've got the EEE out of the way I will extend this further, other than the last minute things that need to go in. I'd rather try and manage it in that way to keep cost down, though rest assured I am listening to what you and other members have to say. And yes the frustration does my head in.

Phil, you tend to end your emails like this by saying you'll leave the Society if things don't change. Lots of things are improving (though I'm the first to accept more still needs to be done), and for a very small fee members receive quite a lot of stuff. Last year we gave out a cultivation guide, two full-colour journals, a fantastic seed bank, Silver at Chelsea, NEC, events, etc, etc. last year/this year we are also delivering an EEE in 9 months, which is no small feat. Whenever I hear those words, it makes my heart sink and feel like giving all this up for a quite life. I estimate I've put over 400 hours into the CPS stuff in the last twelve months, I gave up my second business last April to concentrate of the CPS stuff at a loss of £200 a month (my choice as I get a lot out of doing my bit, but I don't miss the VAT return), spend a lot less time with my kids than I should, often give up leave to do things (including shows), drive my wife mad, etc. Other Committee members put huge amounts of hours in and give up lots of their things too. I state this not for a pat on the back, but to show part of our side to this.

Tight traps

Tim

Tim,

I don't think that anyone is accusing you of not doing your part. In fact, from what I have observed, you do substantially more than your fair share. However, you are not a one man committee and others should be lending a hand too. I'm sure that EEE 2011 will be a great success and the website is attractive, though doesn't render correctly in IE - don't know if you've noticed? However, anyone visiting the CPS site could easily miss the fact that this event is happening. I would guess that a lot of the hits come from elsewhere than the CPS site. Who is the CPS internet admin nowadays?

(except Vic2 of course, you're barred :oops: )

I think the phrase is "stand up and be counted"...

Aw, really Stephen...? :hi:

For the life of me, I can't think why... :roll:

Well, to be truthful (once again), this was suggested when I was part of the Committee. I've said from the beginning that I have too many commitments outside the CPS to give enough time and effort to the Society as Chairman, so I wouldn't stand for election to that post.

Besides, I genuinely don't want the power of being a Trustee; there is always the stark possibility that I might turn into a megalomaniac and enjoy wielding it!! :wink:

Entirely academic issue now, of course... :tu:

Yours from the darkly remote wilderness,

The-Devil-Incarnate of Letchworth :thanks:

Edited by Vic2

It is actually quite nice for a topic like this to be allowed to run for a while. A few years ago, moderators like Aiden just wouldn't have let it run and would have stopped it very early on.

David Ahrens

If you can't show that it's wrong or dishonest, it seems that one excellent way to suppress dissent and hide stuff is to prevent any mention of it being published.

I hear on the grapevine - not from them, incidentally - that Andy and the mods have been taking a severe earbashing in private for CPUK's fair-minded support of free speech.

I am very sorry to be the catalyst for it.

But I'm not the cause:

That desperately needs to be dragged into the open, acknowledged and resolved.

Sadly, time has shown that's not going to open up or resolve by itself.

I really, genuinely wish it were otherwise.

For the CPS, CPUK, for everyone in the UK (including me!) who enjoys these magnificent plants, in cultivation and in the wild.

You're brave and principled people, Andy and Co. :tu:

(And no, I'm not crawling!) :nono:

Vic

P.S.

To this day, I can't understand why Steve and Paul's monumental neglect is being covered up so ferociously by the rest of the Trustees and Committee.

The Chairman and (de facto) Vice-Chairman can't be bothered to defend their neglect.

This topic - and several others - have shown that they won't help other Trustees and Committee members when they needed it, in return.

Other than that the CPS Trustees have known each other a long time, does anyone know why?

I have been following this over the recent past and as a complete no-one and a relatively new member I thought a view from the bottom of the CP ladder would be benficial. First things first the financial allegations made by Vic2 are serious. I assume that as a charity the books are open to the public and that under the Freedom of Information act all charities books are available at companies house so this can be settled once and for all. I have no idea what happened in the past and quite frankly I dont care - I think Cameron and Clegg called each other all kinds of names in the past but now they are screwing the country in partnership.

I agree totally that the single biggest issue with the CPS and actually this forum is the complete lack of concise information - presented in an attractive user friendly way. Lets be honest here - this forum is not user friendly. Type something into search and you get pages of hits that contain the key word you typed. There are far better ways to store and scan information than a bespoke word search system with a yellow block highlighting your key word. Just one example - as a relative beginner try typing in seed germination. Then good luck! I speant an hour trawling through the hits and i am not sure i am any the wiser. Is the seedbank open? I know a lady called Sheila has been desperately unwell and she needs all the rest she can get and i wish her a full recovery. I feel guilty sending in a seed request - if a lady with two new lungs has to find them I would rather not worry her.

I didnt know there was a meeting on April 9th - cant get to it anyway but I definately did not know. Surely the more people that get to these meetings the more vibrant and creative they become. I have a degree in Marketing and before i became ill worked as a marketing director. Now thats just me - I know very little but i could certainly help make a website get more clicks by using a few "tricks". Where are the e-mails asking what any of us could contribute? Its a simple thing but by getting more involved it removes the "them and us" atmosphere which is what this whole thread is feeding on. None of us know what happened and dont want to - it sounds to me like toys are leaving prams on both sides. Why has it never been suggested to create sub sections. Mike King is one hour up the road from me and PJ plants 15 mins away. There will be others. I would like to share time with fellow enthusiasts without it being an open day. Just for a pint - I cant get to Surrey on the 9th April (actually it may be Sussex) so i meet our comittee once a year at Chester this year or more than likely not at all. Cant there be local initiatives to increase membership and therefore revenue. The merchandise section is woeful. Okay if you are over 50 or so deep in the hobbey that you dont care what you look like but I am not the CPS equivalent of a train spotter. I have posted before that this hobby has more than one beneficial effect. Tell a 13 year old boy on a street corner that he can come and grow some plants and you will be told what to do - tell a 13 year old boy on a street corner that he can come and grow something that swalllows wasps and you get somewhere.

These are just a few of my thoughts but i really do believe that its time we dragged this brilliant and highly addictive past time into the 21st Century.

These are just a few of my thoughts but i really do believe that its time we dragged this brilliant and highly addictive past time into the 21st Century.

Unfortunately, I fear that yours and others thoughts and suggestions are falling on deaf ears.

The merchandise section is woeful. Okay if you are over 50 or so deep in the hobbey that you dont care what you look like but I am not the CPS equivalent of a train spotter.

Hi Jerry, I have to say I agree with you 100% on the merchandise :whistling: !

Hi

I just thought I'd add a few comments as membership secretary.

Value for money: UK membership costs 20p per week for an E member and 25p for a postal member. For that you get two journals, two newsletters, free visits to Kew Gardens and RHS Wisley, one of the largest seed banks in the world, an AGM and end of season meetings, society stands and RHS Chelsea and Gardener's world shows, coordination of around 20 open days, support for conservation/research both in the UK and doverseas. Recently there has been a new growing guide and this year the EEE. We have managed to hold membership fees static for the last 10 years despite huge increases in postal charges, printing costs etc.

Our membership fees are lower than the ICPS and, to the best of my knowledge, other European CP societies.

Renewal dates. All journal address labels show your renewal dates and I am working on getting this shown on email communications too. It is not unreasonable to expect members to make a note of their renewal dates. We also give members 3 months grace after their membership expires.

AGM. I have attended all AGMs since I became a member. I cannot remember any occasion when there was a competition for election to committee posts despite the question being asked by the chairman at each AGM. I think I can speak for the committee in saying that we would welcome more volunteers and competition.

All you have to do is get a proposer and seconder and a vote would be taken. One other thing - only 10% of members turn up at AGMs. If you want to have your say, come along to the AGM on Saturday 9th April at East Horsley Village Hall, Kingston Avenue, East Horsley KT24 6QT.

The Website: We are aware that the website requires updating and Darren is working on this. Up to now we have depended on such web expertise as can be provided free by volunteers - some of whom have left at short notice. Contact Darren if you could help. We could of course spend a few thousand getting a professional to do it for us.

Active membership. The committee would love for more members to become more active in supporting the society's current events and in proposing more activities the society could undertake. The same small group of members attend open days, meetings etc and even fewer volunteer to help at Chelsea and the NEC. The society belongs to its members but it sometimes feels that we are operating in a vaccuum. Get involved!

And finally to end my (hopefully good natured) rant, a few words in support of the Chairman. Steve has been a tremendous chairman of the society for many years who has worked tirelessly for the good of the society. Last year for instance he put together the RHS Chelsea and Gardener's World stands at short notice. Neither would have happended without Steve.

Regards to all

Dennis

I have been a member of CPS for decades - longer I suspect than most of the complainers.

I simply want to say that people should remember that in the past, the CPS was virtually the only source of authentic information, plants and seeds and communication with other enthusiasts that existed in the UK and come to that, Europe. It was miles ahead of anything else available at that time.

Things have now moved on and there are now numerous good sources of plants, many more published books and of course, the internet.

The internet has changed so much and I think the only valid issue with the CPS is the website.

The problem here is that people are making comparisons with professionally or commercially operated websites and obviously the CPS falls short of those standards. But unless you are prepared to volunteer, and have the necessary expertise, and above all the commitment to maintain it on a very regular basis, you have little scope for complaint. I can't help and I don't complain.

But I do remember the enormous value the CPS has added to CP interests over many years and appreciate what they still do for a very modest subscription.

I am not interested in comments from people who are expressing very personal and sometimes obviously plain nasty opinions - and such people are usually those who find it difficult to work with others on a committee, but blame others.

First things first the financial allegations made by Vic2 are serious.

Vic's allegations are blatently untrue.

The CPS books are ALWAYS available at the AGM. The balance sheet is reported in the Treasurer's report and is therefore available in the newsletters and on the web site. The full accounts are available from me anytime - just ask. If a member requests that I bring the books to a meeting - no problem. If a member asks a question or needs clarification - no problem. It has been like that since I have been Treasurer.

Where are the e-mails asking what any of us could contribute? Its a simple thing but by getting more involved it removes the "them and us" atmosphere which is what this whole thread is feeding on.

We ALWAYS need volunteers. All of us are just that - amateur volunteers who give up our time for the CPS. We need more committee members, we need more people to get involved rather than stand back and criticise. The more of us there are to do the work, the easier it is. We have had committee members from all parts of the British Isles - from Scotland to Devon, from Wales and the East - not a problem where you live - volunteer and we will be very glad of your assistance.

The Website: We are aware that the website requires updating and Darren is working on this. Up to now we have depended on such web expertise as can be provided free by volunteers - some of whom have left at short notice. Contact Darren if you could help. We could of course spend a few thousand getting a professional to do it for us.

Come on then - please contact us if you can help Darren.

I hear on the grapevine - not from them, incidentally - that Andy and the mods have been taking a severe earbashing in private for CPUK's fair-minded support of free speech.

Another of Vic's untruths. Some committee members (two, including me, that I know of) asked for the thread to be moved to allow free speech and to move this discussion away from the peat consultation thread as the postings were detracting from that important issue.

Just for the record I do not believe or agree with anything Vic says.

Andy

For the record - neither do I.

But I do remember the enormous value the CPS has added to CP interests over many years and appreciate what they still do for a very modest subscription.

I am not interested in comments from people who are expressing very personal and sometimes obviously plain nasty opinions - and such people are usually those who find it difficult to work with others on a committee, but blame others.

Well said and thank you.

I can never make the AGM, as I supsect is the case for many others, so it's hard to have a voice

I will happily present views of members who cannot personally attend and ask questions on their behalf - just ask me.

Lastly, all committee posts are ALWAYS up for renewal at the AGM. If anyone fancies being on the committee, I will be happy to help - there are posts that will need filling.

Flick

Present Treasurer of the CPS

As an eMember the website it is my primary portal, yet the information is so outdated that it is not worth me visiting. I personally feel that it is worth some investment, be it in members time of CPS funds, to bring it up to modern standards. It is well within the scope of a web developer to add renewal date information to eMembers details on the website and send out notifications to the registered email address. Once I have read the journal, I do not pin the envelope to my wall as a reminder of renewal date, or indeed seek out emails with it on! And, why can't I request seeds via the website - again this is quite a basic thing to implement. Why isn't eMembership renewal instant after PayPal payment, like it is on many other sites? I am more than happy to put forward proposals for improvements for the site, but is the internet officer capable of implementing them? Could he implement the membership renewal notification and seed bank request?

The website is the 'shop window' for the CPS. Many potential new members will seek out the site and quite frankly I think they would be put off. Do you monitor the number of hits and the duration that people stay on the site?

I live 582 miles from where the AGM is being held. Are you going to hold it further north, or even a central location, in future years so that member who live north do not have to travel so far?

It is well within the scope of a web developer to add renewal date information to eMembers details on the website and send out notifications to the registered email address.

Here's hoping there will soon be some volunteer help coming forward.......

And, why can't I request seeds via the website - again this is quite a basic thing to implement.

Have you asked me or the Seedbank Manager Sheila? If you are unable or unwilling to send your seed request by post - ask. I take payments by PayPal when Sheila has previously been contacted regarding seed requests - not a problem.

Incidently, the seedbank is running normally whilst Sheila recovers.

I live 582 miles from where the AGM is being held. Are you going to hold it further north, or even a central location, in future years so that member who live north do not have to travel so far?

I will take that as a formal request to the committee meeting before the AGM.

Can you help the Society personally? Could you perhaps agree to monitor the web site and advise us of issues on a regular basis? That would be helpful. The web site is beyond my personal expertise.

Do other members feel that we should pay for our website?

Personally, I am sure there are members who could devote the time and expertise to assist. Good thing - it doesn't matter where you are geographically, anyone can still volunteer to help with the website and get involved.

Flick

Can you help the Society personally? Could you perhaps agree to monitor the web site and advise us of issues on a regular basis? That would be helpful. The web site is beyond my personal expertise.

I could help with this. If you give me some access I could even help with updating some of the content for you, if needed. Although I have a website and am familiar with coding, I am not that familiar with databases, which would be required for automatic renewal notifications and a possible online seedbank request form, but I know that there are members of this forum with such expertise.

I will put my money where my mouth is ......................... I hereby volunteer that any help on the website or Graphic design that I can give i will. I also propose that if allowed there become a West of Egland and Wales CPS group. Where we can just discuss and then maybe send someone to the AGM in the future. Blimey if the Womens Institute has over half a million members then I am sure that locally we can drum up interest. I mean this hobby of ours has to be better than Dame Vera Lynn banging on about Dover!

ALso just a little thing - Why not have the AGM at Chester? Lots of us will be there - it can be held on that boat or a nice pub and it removes the stuffiness. Surrey is 200 miles from me!!!! Since we are in the majority going to Chester then......... something about Mohammed and the mountain springs to mind here!

Edited by Jerry

I

could help with this. If you give me some access I could even help with updating some of the content for you, if needed. Although I have a website and am familiar with coding, I am not that familiar with databases, which would be required for automatic renewal notifications and a possible online seedbank request form, but I know that there are members of this forum with such expertise.

Thanks. Sounds good. Realistically, as I am sure you will understand, the only way you could have actual access is to become a committee member. Would that appeal to you? I am sure you could easily get a proposer and a seconder. Meantime, why not send an email to the committee suggesting you want to help Darren, our Web Site Officer? email: [email protected]

The database was professionally built and updated. It is maintained by Dennis, our Membership Secretary, who also modifies it. As far as I am aware, he has been working on methods of renewal notifications. I am sure he will comment, if not, you could ask him that question.

At the request of the committee, I have been looking into setting up Standing Orders and also Direct Debits to help solve the renewal issues. These matters will be discussed at the committee meeting before the AGM because there are serious personal implications for the trustees and disadvantages with both proposals.

Regarding the seedbank requests being online, I personally do not have a problem with that. All PayPal payments are notified to me as Treasurer anyway. The final decision on that would rest with the Seedbank Manager and the Web Officer and of course the rest of the committee.

Flick

Present Treasurer, CPS

I will put my money where my mouth is ......................... I hereby volunteer that any help on the website or Graphic design that I can give i will. I also propose that if allowed there become a West of Egland and Wales CPS group. Where we can just discuss and then maybe send someone to the AGM in the future. Blimey if the Womens Institute has over half a million members then I am sure that locally we can drum up interest. I mean this hobby of ours has to be better than Dame Vera Lynn banging on about Dover!

ALso just a little thing - Why not have the AGM at Chester? Lots of us will be there - it can be held on that boat or a nice pub and it removes the stuffiness. Surrey is 200 miles from me!!!! Since we are in the majority going to Chester then......... something about Mohammed and the mountain springs to mind here!

Thanks. Sounds good. Realistically, as I previously posted and I am sure you will understand, the only way you could have actual access is to become a committee member. Please send an email to the committee.

The Meetings Organiser and the new Promotions Officer both live in or near Wales. If you have something to bring to the committees' attention, why not ask them? They could raise issues on your behalf. Or put it in writing?

I am not sure how you get together a group - maybe ask for other members to come forward through this forum? Then you could send a delegate to the AGM?

The date of the AGM has to be before the EEE in Chester, we couldn't leave it that long to hold it. No reason we can't have a discussion though - formal or informal.......

Flick

Flick, with all due respect, I an willing to offer assistance but as a CPS member, not a committee member. If it is a requirement to be a committee member in order to contribute then I suspect that this will put people off.

Flick, with all due respect, I an willing to offer assistance but as a CPS member, not a committee member. If it is a requirement to be a committee member in order to contribute then I suspect that this will put people off.

I appreciate that, offering assistance is one thing (and very welcome), however actually changing website content is another. Becoming a committee member is not hard. It just means that you offer some genuine committment and loyalty (not that I think you wouldn't if you just helped) but as a charity, we deal with money etc that isn't ours and look after members' interests. The amount of time that you wish to contribute can be variable. We, the committee, work as a team, and we all do our different roles according to the demands and the time we have available. The more members of a team we have, the less demand and stress there is on any one individual.

You don't have to be Web Site Officer......you could be assistant.....in fact one of several assistants that pool their ideas and resources?

I would hope that becoming a member of the committee wouldn't put people off. Some have joined us and left after a short time if they find it is not for them, no worries. Others have been around for a while. All have a part to play.

Please email the committee and offer your services, I am sure you would be made very welcome.

Flick

Present Treasurer CPS

I have been a member of CPS for decades - longer I suspect than most of the complainers.

I simply want to say that people should remember that in the past, the CPS was virtually the only source of authentic information, plants and seeds and communication with other enthusiasts that existed in the UK and come to that, Europe. It was miles ahead of anything else available at that time.

Things have now moved on and there are now numerous good sources of plants, many more published books and of course, the internet.

The internet has changed so much and I think the only valid issue with the CPS is the website.

The problem here is that people are making comparisons with professionally or commercially operated websites and obviously the CPS falls short of those standards. But unless you are prepared to volunteer, and have the necessary expertise, and above all the commitment to maintain it on a very regular basis, you have little scope for complaint. I can't help and I don't complain.

I agree with what sumatra(stephen?) says,when i joined the cps,it was the only means of getting any information or access to plants at all.

Since then things have moved on so fast it is almost unbelievable,especially to the younger members of this forum.

I have also been the secretary of a club(pigeon racing)so i know what effort and commitment it takes to keep an organisation running.

There will always be people who have" their say "or knock what others try to do for everyones good.

With the computer age well and truely here,everthing is almost instantanious.

The cps needs to move with the times, perhaps integrate more with a more active forum?

or lets face it die as it is in its present state.

There are people on cps forums who can bring the society into the 21st century,they just need the chance and encouragement from the people in charge now.

Some people are more "hands on" when it comes to show stands etc,some are more computer savy.It needs a blend of each to move the society forward instead of bickering over the net.

I will always be a member while ever i grow plants because i remember the good it did for me in my early days with cp's.

That is not to say it isn't doing good now,i think the new "blood" has made an excellent start to modernising the cps with the journal.

It is just the web site that badly needs updating and maintaining to todays standards,this alone would attract more members i think and could pay for its self.

Anyway that's my opinion, i cant help with the computer side of things(hell i've only just got paypal)and still use cheques.

ada