A new member in the carnivorous plant family

Enjoy:

The teasel, Dipsacus fullonum is known to catch invertebrates in its water filled leaf bases, but experimental testing of

reproductive benefits of this have been lacking. We report the effects of insect supplementation/removal and water

removal during spring/summer on Dipsacus in two field populations. There were no significant treatment effects on

biomass, but addition of dead dipteran larvae to leaf bases caused a 30% increase in seed set and the seed mass:biomass

ratio. This study provides the first empirical evidence for reproductive benefit from carnivory in Dipsacus fullonum.

Link to the full article:

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%...al.pone.0017935

I think I've seen this in abandoned lots and in grassy areas by the freeway...

I have a plastic bucket with some water in the bottom that also catches insects, pehaps thats carnivorous too.

Many plants have regions that trap water and would at some point trap the careless insect. That insect will rot and some nutrients can be absorbed, but if not the next rain will wash the soup out where it will trickle down the stem and into the soil surrounding the roots and do the same job. If just trapping insects and utilising the nitrogenous remains makes a carnivorous plant then most would be, by accident of course. Teasel seems to be one of these examples to me.

I have a plastic bucket with some water in the bottom that also catches insects, pehaps thats carnivorous too.

Many plants have regions that trap water and would at some point trap the careless insect. That insect will rot and some nutrients can be absorbed, but if not the next rain will wash the soup out where it will trickle down the stem and into the soil surrounding the roots and do the same job. If just trapping insects and utilising the nitrogenous remains makes a carnivorous plant then most would be, by accident of course. Teasel seems to be one of these examples to me.

Was thinking the same thing...

The carnivorous character for a plant is a conjonction of various characteristics a plant have to feet into. Benefits from the absorption of various nutriments is one of this. As said in this article, teasel didn't take any benefit for his growth (many plants, such as you mention, are in this case), but the uptake of nutriments enhance its seed production. But I agree that more characteristics have to be checked: main purpose of the trap (mechanism for catching preys or just defensive, or none), production of enzymes, glandular structures for nutriment uptake, etc...

I should put that on my wantlist :D:biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...
Its very rare but for the right price I could be tempted to sell it to you

For f's sake, I want one too!!

Its very rare but for the right price I could be tempted to sell it to you

Oh please do put me in your waiting list :rolleyes: