Utricularia regia

TheInactiveMoth

Hi all,

Browsing around to choose what utrics to buy, and I remembered seeing a picture of this utric in th Guardian newspaper last year.

Utricularia-regia.jpg

That's the only photo I could find, I'm afraid.

I just thought I'd post this, so if you've all heard of it, and I just don't know, then sorry for wasting time.

TheInactiveMoth

No waste of time at all, this one is one of the top Utrics on my wish list! Like you I also came across it when looking for nice Utrics to grow some time back. Its a wonder that its not in cultivation...or at least not available to the common CP grower.

I don't think it's in cultivation yet, though I did check quite a while ago. In any case, it shouldn't be long until people do start growing it.

By the way, there is one other photo I've seen, which was on the CP photo finder.

Hi,

this species is not in cultivation. I am in comunication with a discoverer and I thing that it will be almost impossible to get this species to cultivation. Few information about this species and few more pictures you will also find in "catalog" Carnivorous plants and their biotopes - http://ivo.koudela.sweb.cz/items/Studnicka_Biotopes.html

sincerely

Hi, impossibility to get this species in to the cultivation are two:

1) it is illegal to collected plants from Mexico without the permition.

2) this rare species grow only on the small places - it is steno-endemic species and location is realy hard to find because species is annual. Population is restored only by the seeds and that is reason why is it very vunerable and threatned species.

If you are interested about some more information you have to wait for a new project - new book that we are prepare in this time together with Dr. Studnička and Jan Franta. You will see also few more pictures of Utricularia regia and amazing Utricularia petersoniae (and many many more) with beautiful flowers.

I will keep you informed at this forum.

http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36143

Edited by agamemnon

Agamemnon,

Do you think that, given the permits, just one plant could be removed, then eventually they could become at least available to some people?

Hi, impossibility to get this species in to the cultivation are two:

1) it is illegal to collected plants from Mexico without the permition.

This alone would not prevent the plant from getting into cultivation. I believe that the same is true for Venezuela, but we still have Helimaphora in cultivation.

Yes, that is possibility. But I am sure that to get a permit for collected of seeds will be very hard. (I have one example: I was try to get a permit from India to collected a seeds of few very rare species of bladderworts of India and I was have many many problems to get this permition. I was make a comunication with National Authority almost three years until this year I was recieved a letter with final permition but I must to pay). In Mexico will be maybe more complicated to get that permition for Utricularia regia.

Yes, that is possibility. But I am sure that to get a permit for collected of seeds will be very hard. (I have one example: I was try to get a permit from India to collected a seeds of few very rare species of bladderworts of India and I was have many many problems to get this permition. I was make a comunication with National Authority almost three years until this year I was recieved a letter with final permition but I must to pay). In Mexico will be maybe more complicated to get that permition for Utricularia regia.

I don't understand why the authorities make these things so difficult. Seed collection is a relatively harmless way of preserving plants in cultivation, as long as the collection is not so severe as to impact significantly on the wild population. I think that sometime bureaucracy outweighs common sense. I also think that some agency use this as a excuse to make money, by charging for permits.