Drosera microphylla and D. stricticaulis

Dear all,

I recently made some more photos which I would like to share with you.

I start with both of my D. microphylla.

D_microphylla_Darlington.jpg

D_microphylla_macropetala_flower.jpg

Even my wife likes those plants and flowers, which is not exactly the case for all my plants.

The second species I would like to show you today is a batch of plants grown from seeds (with lots of thanks to the person who provided the seeds ;-)

It is so far a compact form and the plants currently reach about 10-15 cm in height.

D_stricticaulis_PortLincoln2.jpg

D_stricticaulis_PortLincoln.jpg

D_stricticaulis_PortLincoln3.jpg

D_stricticaulis_PortLincoln4.jpg

D_stricticaulis_PortLincoln5.jpg

I hope you like them as well!

Dieter

Great to see that the D. stricticaulis are growing so well for you!

Should you ever have any seed to spare...... :sarcastic_hand:

Woooow Dieter!! Just brilliant !!

I agree with your wife , you must be crazy if you don't like these flowers. :sarcastic_hand:

Beautiful almost red wine coloured flowers. Never seen in cultivation except Mr. Aussie.

My D.microphylla forms are still confused and not the best growing plants for the moment.

Looks like they are pollinated? Colony bees in the wintergarden ? :hi:

Also very nice photos with caught prey, fantastic quality. ( Iggy, it's time for a new camera.... )

Thanks for sharing!!

Iggy

Thanks for the nice comments.

Great to see that the D. stricticaulis are growing so well for you!

Should you ever have any seed to spare...... :sarcastic_hand:

Can you tell me whether this species needs some help for pollination? I may not be at home when the other flowers open so I would have to arrange a "bee" if some manul action is required.

My D.microphylla forms are still confused and not the best growing plants for the moment.

Looks like they are pollinated? Colony bees in the wintergarden ?

The var. macropetala is in its 5th season now and was already looking good in the previous winter. The Darlington form is in its 3rd season and seems to be fully adapted now.

However, I am not sure what to make of the description in Lowrie's book. According to the information given there the Darlington for should also closely match the var. macropetala described by Diels. I can only agree with that as I do not see much of a difference between the two forms I grow.

And yes, I was the colony bee. At least some of the seed pod seem to be swelling now, so I may have been successful (cross pollination of both forms).

Here is another shot I made yesterday:

D_stricticaulis_PortLincoln6.jpg

Cheers

Dieter

Ho Dieter,this microphylla flowers are realy very special,very beautys,i know what i go looking for in future,stricticaulis looks great to.

And the most important ,very nice pics ,very clear :sarcastic_hand:

Can you tell me whether this species needs some help for pollination? I may not be at home when the other flowers open so I would have to arrange a "bee" if some manul action is required.

As far as I can recall, the plants produced seed without any help.

It is always very refreshing and interesting to see some rarer sundews in the pictures. The d. microphylla's flowers are very beautiful! Thank you for sharing the pics with us, Dieter! Good luck growing these beauties:-)

These plants has a lot of polen :wub: ... ... is easy to produce seeds?

Hi Carlos,

I can not answer that for sure at the moment. It seems that the seed pods of the var. macropetala are swelling, but the ones of the Darlington form are smaller. Time will tell...

In general this is one of the easier species to pollinate (at least for people like me who have to go to work during daytime) as the flowers will open for several days in a row, thus it is much easier to have different plants flowering at the same day. One just needs to different clones which is the limitation for most of us. By the way, if someone has a spare D. microphylla var. macropetala tuber, I would be happy to swap it for one of mine, so that both of us at least have a chance to get hold of a second clone. The same offer holds for many other species and forms.

I have to say thanks to my wife as she did the pollination of many flowers this winter (like most of the D. zigzagia flowers). Without her I would expect a significantly smaller seed list this spring.

Cheers

Dieter

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Andreas Eils

Hi Dieter,

good there is a D. microphylla with macro petals! :ohmy: Gorgeous flower of D. stricticaulis! D. stricticaulis is one of my favourite tuberous sundews. And it seems to have a good appetite! :smile:

Regards

Andreas

So beautiful pictures,i love!!!!

Have any D. zigzagia flowers ?

Regards, minnie

Hi Minnie,

D. zigzagia flowered much earlier this year. Very beautiful species and flowers...

Best regards

Dieter