U. humboldtii vs. H. folliculata

Richard Bayerl

Good evening all in the cpuk forum.

For some time I observe this growth or rather physical activity between the U. humboldtii and next to it H. folliculata in my terrarium.

For this, the following pictures:

R0031626-1-1.jpg

R0031624-1-1.jpg

R0031919-1-1.jpg

This rare phenomenon even though Stewart McPherson (Andreas Fleischmann) also describes in his latest book, "Canivorous Plants and their habitats " (page 1214). Utris in Brocchinias is more normal than in Heliamphoras. Now I'm looking forward to the continued growth of Utricularia behavior and will be reported in due course.

Best regards

Richard

For some time I observe this growth or rather physical activity between the U. humboldtii and next to it H. folliculata in my terrarium.

Hi Richard,

That's really interesting! Do those U. humboldtii shoots appear to intentionally seek out standing water, or do they just grow out in random directions, in a hit-and-miss fashion?

Hello,

Quite interesting research you have going on. ;) I think the shoots are quite random, at least my U. nelumbifolia shoots the runners all-over the tank if not forced somewhere intentionally.

Greetings,

Jarkko

Very, very interesting observation there Richard...I wonder exactly what the Utric Humboldtii is doing...Did it sense the humidity in that Heli Foliculatas

pitcher??Is it trying to impregnate that tiny pool of water with Utric babies?? Or is it hunting the Helis caught food?? Keep us posted...

Hi Jarkko, Tim and dchasselblad74,

why and how my Utricularia makes this in the Terra and grow in the wild? Only curiosity or self-preservation = conservation of the species? I am thinking I can speculate at the moment only, or point out what my observations.

I have a photo taken by my pot so you can see how the drive towards Heliamphora grow. You see also that there describes a blowing a 180 ° arc.

The beautiful nature shots in the Tepuis is always the phenomenon has been shown in certain Utris in Brocchinias (also präkarnivore!) grow. And it has been described, that live in the water-filled cups and mugs a variety of microorganisms (= food for the Utris?) This decomposed "pre-digestion" or the captured flies, etc., so that the plant can absorb nutrients.

I will extract a sample from the Heliamphore for microscopic examination and report further here as it is in the case of microorganisms in said Krug.

So as I said there is a separate drive for the direct search or is it all just coincidence? I think this can help us academics in the field of Utricularien.

Stay tuned.

Regards Richard

R0031951-1-1.jpg

Hi Richard,

I'll see if I can locate the article but IIRC I remember reading an article mentioning these same habits with U. nelumbifolia. Very interesting relationship, great job capturing these shots!

Edit: This is not the article I was thinking of, but Francois has also made such observations in his collection. Quite an interesting habit of these unique plants.

http://carnivorousockhom.blogspot.com/2010...lumbifolia.html

Edited by F R e N c H 3 z

• 2 weeks later...

Good evening friends,

now to continue my contribution U.humboldtii vs. H. folliculara.

For a microscopic examination of the contents of pitcher to microorganisms, as well as further growth in the behavior of U. humboldtii H. folliculata.

DSCN4381-1-1.jpg

R0032120-1-1.jpg

You see it happening that in terms of growth. Between a picture just before the immersion of the stolons in the pitcher fluid and the current picture, with growth projections just 14 days have passed.

And to which microorganisms in it this is I still have to investigate. At least I could see some significant with 100 and 400 times magnification and up some very small individuals with 1000 times magnification.

Let's wait another off. To be continued then.

Best regards, Richard

G'day CPUK,

here's another update from U.humboldtii vs. H. folliculara.

First of all, many thanks to James O'Neill for helping to determine the microorganisms. And for Mobile for the tip of

David Attenborough. These reports, I already knew.

In the meantime, I've made contact with Stewart McPherson. And he told me, that he has in his expeditions to the Tepuis in different species of Heliamphora observed Utricularia humboldtii in their pitchers.

Following now the latest photo of the growth progress.

R0032133-1-1.jpg

Finally, thank you, Stewart McPherson.

Greetings

Richard

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all Utri and other carnivorous plant fans.

Again an update of my Utricularia humboldtii in the pitcher of the Heliamphora folliculata. To see how fast it is since the last shot (28/03/11) has developed!

R0032467-1-1.jpg

Here is a detailed record of trapping devices.

R0032468-1-1.jpg

Have a nice evening.

Richard

Edited by Richard Bayerl

Guest Andreas Eils

Ah....well, I´m curious how long it will take until a flower scape will grow out of your H. folliculata pitcher. :thank_you2:

I´ve tested this also some time ago. I don´t know anymore into which species I let the stolon grow. But it was impractical as I needed to take the plants out of the terrarium from time to time (to clean the terra and the pane of my window).

Keep us updated!

Andreas

R0032467-1-1.jpg

Here is a detailed record of trapping devices.

R0032468-1-1.jpg

That is pretty impressive Richard :thank_you2: Thanks for keeping us posted....