U. pubescens

BobZ

The Humboldt State University greenhouse has for some years grown a plant labeled U. peltata. The ICPS database states that U. peltata is a synonym for U. pubescens. Until this week, this plant has never flowered. Below are photos of the plant and flower.

There are several links to photos of U. pubescens listed in my Photo Finder,

http://www.humboldt.edu/~rrz7001/Utricularia.html

Some photos show a dictinct yellow stripe below the "mouth", other photos closely resemble our plant, which has no such stripe.

Any guesses about the identity of the plant below? Is it indeed U. pubescens?

U_pubescens780.JPG

U_pubescens1700.JPG

U_pubescens1698.JPG

Yup, definatley U. peltata. It seems that this species has got a few flower forms. I once had a plant that was labelled U. peltata 'auyan tepui' wich had smaller flowers than the specimen I am currently growing and there was a small diamond like shape on the flower.

Guest Tamlin Dawnstar

Nice flowers Bob. For some reason this species will not flower for me. Never once in all my born days. I know of no other species with the round whatchamacallit's of D. pubescens.

Tamlin,

There is probably some special trick involving a full moon, sacrificial goat and the value of the stock market, but I never cracked flowering either.

The one time I ever had a plant flower it promptly died so beware...:-)

Phil

Guest Tamlin Dawnstar

Phil,

I am going to start setting out little saucers of Taylor's Landlord for the fairies as soon as I can con someone in the UK into sending me a bottle.....on second thought, maybe I will just drink it myself and live without the flowers......

Utricularia just flower when they want to, and this species just wants to tease me for a few more decades, I can feel it!

As I mentioned above, we have had this plant for several years and it never flowered until now. I am growing it 4 different pots in my unheated greenhouse and it is flowering in each pot; whereas the same plant in the CP room in the heated greenhouse at the University shows no sign of flowering. My guess is that the near freezing winter low temperature and the warmer and longer day length in my greenhouse has induced it to flower.

Bobz,

My guess is that the near freezing winter low temperature and the warmer and longer day length in my greenhouse has induced it to flower.

The only thing near freezing temperatures has ever induced the various plants of this species is death. You must have a better touch with these things. :)

Tamlin,

If you drink enough Taylors you will see fairies for sure...

Phil

Guest Tamlin Dawnstar

Yeah, yeah, yeah you Brit's go on and on about this "Taylor" stuff, sniff. But how could it be that good. Probably doesn't come close to a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. I probably got it good as it gets right here in Upstate NY. Afterall, ale is ale, right? At this stage, it would be very difficult to convince me that your ale deserves the renown you give it. Stop trying to make my tongue hang out, it's not working.

What a beautiful form of U.pubescens!! If I remember well, Taylor mentions that the larger-flowered forms are usually S.American. I've seen lots of variation in Brazil, but most do have nice large pink flowers. I've only seen small white & purple/blue flowers in one place in Brazil and on top of Mt.Roraima.

Good luck,

Fernando Rivadavia