Carnivorous plants on stamps

Braunbear

I just want to say that I've am enjoying this thread immensely.

As many of you will probably know I am a keen collector of carnivorous plant ephemera (including stamps) and have most of these already, but the additional provided for information for each stamp has been really interesting. Every now and then you show a stamp I haven't got or haven't before, and I usually nip onto ebay, find it and buy it.

I haven't been able to visit CPUK as often as I would like recently, but I always look forward to the next instalment when I do manage to visit.

Many thanks Braunbear, and keep 'em coming!! :tu:

Edited by Loakesy

Many thanks Braunbear, and keep ’em coming!! :tu:

Thank you for your kind reply. I hope you'll enjoy the next stamp presentation. :thumbsup:

On 19 December 2006, more than 40 years after the first carnivorous plant motive, Canada issued a second stamp with this motive. This was a series of four stamps. One stamp, shows the flower of the bladderwort "Utricularia intermedia". The stamp includes the postage rate of 93 cents for shipment to the United States. That is why the corresponding complete booklet sheet has the designation "United States".

Here are the block and the issued booklet sheet.

Canada2006.jpg

Canada2006_MH.jpg

For the event of the 20th Asian International Stamp Exhibition in Bangkok from 03 - 12 August 2007, issued Indonesia two different blocks with a carnivorous plant motive. A special feature of the large block is the unusual stamp alignment. In the small block, both stamps per a value of 2,500 Indonesian rupiah, on a large block of 1,500 Rp. Here are the tropical pitcher plants "Nepenthes mirabilis" and "Nepenthes Ampullaria" shown.

indonesien-block2007.jpg

indonesien-miniblock2007.jpg

Today I present two great stamp blocks from the Grenadines islands in the Atlantic ocean. Issued on 10 February 2005, these stamp series are dedicated to the carnivorous plants.

In the stamps of the first block you can find the following plants:

- Heliamphora tatei

- Sarracenia flava

- Genlisea pygmaea

- Nepenthes bicalcarata

- Utricularia intermedia with just that flower

In the second block, we find the Venus flytrap "Dionaea muscipula".

In addition, we also found outside of the stamps: flowers of the sundews "Drosera echinoblastus" and "Drosera nitidula" (Block 1) and the "Cephalotus follicularis" (Block 2).

This is the first time that the genus Genlisea is immortalized on a postage stamp. Also, the Cephalotus is (apart from an unofficial Western Australian tax stamp) for the first time on a postage stamp. Unfortunately we do not find these carnivorous plants in the wild of the Islands in the Atlantic. Nevertheless, these blocks belong to one of the most beautiful stamps in philately.

granada2006_2.jpg

granada2006.jpg

In 2007, the French overseas territory of St. Pierre and Miquelon, issued a new stamp series with carnivorous plant motives. On this stamp series, we can see the following plants:

- Drosera intermedia

- Utricularia cornuta

- Sarracenia purpurea

- Pinguicula vulgaris

The series was printed in sheets of 20 stamps, each 4x5. As the picture I have here a stamp row, but without the sheet edges. The first day was on 29 September 2007.

saintpierre2007.jpg

On 6 July 2007 issued the Canadian Postal Administration two envelopes in the form of an Aerogram and a Domestogram. This Aerogram has a postage value of 15 cents and the associated Domestogramm a postage value of 8 cents.

An Aerogram, Aérogramme or Air Letter is a thin lightweight piece of foldable and gummed paper for writing a letter for transit via airmail, in which the letter and envelope are one and the same. Most aerograms have an imprinted stamp indicating the prepayment of postage. The Domestogram seems to be the same, with a lower postage value. (Source: Wikipedia)

As motive for the imprinted stamp and the back page are the native pitcher plant "Sarracenia purpurea" choosen.

Canada2007_Aerogramm_15cent.jpg

Canada2007_Domestogramm_8cent.jpg

Edited by Braunbear

The country of Senegal in West Africa, issued in 2008 a 4-part series of stamps with the theme "Wild Flora". The official first day issue of the stamps was on 05/09/2008. However, the stamps wear the inscription "Postes 2007". Perhaps the stamps were first printed and issued later.

The highest value stamp has the subject of a pitcher of the tropical pitcher plant "Nepenthes rafflesiana". This tropical pitcher plant can not be found in Africa, but only in the Asian tropical region.

Senegal_05_09_2008.jpg

Edited by Braunbear

These in 2005 (01 August?) issued blocks of the islands of Saint Vincent and Grenadines are dedicated to carnivorous plants.

In the first block following species are represented:

Butterwort: Pinguicula (rotundifolia)

Sundew: Drosera rotundifolia

Venus Flytrap: Dionaea muscipula

Butterwort: Pinguicula gypsicola

The name of the butterwort on the first stamp in the block is wrong, because there's no butterwort with the species name "rotundifolia"! All plants here aren't found native in this Atlantic Island Group.

On the second block, the tropical pitcher plant Nepenthes x mixta (a hybrid of N. maxima, N. northiana) should be displayed. But unfortunately it has an error. You can see that the image is printed with an orchid instead of the pitcher plant.

Vicent2006_2.jpg

Vicent2006.jpg

On 10 July 2001 issued the United Kingdom (Great Britain) a series of stamps with the theme "Aquatic environment". This series consists of four stamps, each with a water animal motive. The third stamp value to 45 pence has the motive of a stickleback fish who swim through an utricularia plant. Maybe it's the utricularia species "Utricularia vulgaris" which is native to UK?

Interesting is also sometimes the print runs of stamps, how often they were printed. In this case, the described stamp was printed about 4.994.000 times.

GB_10_07_2001.jpg

Edited by Braunbear

The southern African country of Mozambique issued in 2009 a block series to commemorate the 200th Birthday of the famous naturalist Charles Darwin (1809-1882). On the block next to the image of the scientist several extinct animal and plant species are shown. Including the ancestor of today's Pitcher plants.

Archaeamphora longicervia is an extinct species of pitcher plant bearing close affinities to extant members of the family Sarraceniaceae. Fossil material assigned to this taxon originates from the Yixian Formation of northeastern China, dated to the Early Cretaceous (around 146 to 100 million years ago).

Archaeamphora longicervia is the earliest known carnivorous plant and represents the only fossil record of pitcher plants (with the possible exception of some palynomorphs of uncertain nepenthacean affinity). Furthermore, the monotypic Archaeamphora is one of the three oldest known genera of angiosperms (flowering plants). Li (2005) notes that "the existence of a so highly derived Angiosperm in the Early Cretaceous suggests that Angiosperms should have originated much earlier, maybe back to 280 mya as the molecular clock studies suggested".

The area inhabited by A. longicervia is thought to have experienced significant climatic fluctuations during the Early Cretaceous, ranging from arid or semi-arid to more humid conditions. The substrate in the region was mostly composed of lacustrine sediments and volcanic rocks.

Source: Wikipedia.org

mosambik2009.jpg

These stamps are absolutely fantastic, I didn't realise they produced so many of them worldwide.

I have the USA block from 2001 but I can feel a new hobby coming on - although I won't be collecting as many as you !! Just a few more will be nice to have.

Thanks very much for your time and effort in showing them to us... well done.

Europe: France

A French postal service issued in 2010 a stamp booklet which is dedicated to the National Parks in Normandy. Including a stamp with the motive of a leaf from a round-leaved sundew "Drosera rotundifolia" can be found.

Frankreich_2010.jpg

Frankreich_2010_detail.jpg

Europe: Austria

On 10 April 1987, Austria issued a series of postcards with various floral designs. Here also the motive of the round-leaved sundew "Drosera rotundifolia".

GA_Oesterreich_1987detail.jpg

GA_Oesterreich_198702.jpg

Edited by Braunbear

• 2 weeks later...

Buryatia is a republic in Russia. It is located in the Siberian federal district on the border with Mongolia. It includes the eastern shore of Lake Baikal and extends to the Yablonoi. This Republic of areas in Russia are comparable to the German federal states.

In 2006 there was issued a series of stamps with different sundew motives. Specifically, these are "Drosera coccicaulis", "Drosera sp. Floating," "Drosera afra", "Drosera graomogolensis" and "Drosera nitudila".

As an image attachment I have a complete vertical row of the stamp sheet.

Buratien2006.jpg

The Comoros islands are a federal state in the Indian Ocean. The archipelago is located northeast of the African nation of Mozambique, between Mozambique and Madagascar.

In the year 2010 issued the local Post Administration a block with four stamps stamp which is dedicated to the various regions of the butterflies from the Indian Ocean. In addition to the butterfly motives there are various plants from this region represented . On the bottom left stamp, there could be the most widely tropical pitcher plant "Nepenthes mirabilis" (?). If I am wrong with this plant name, please tell me the right nepenthes species name.

Comoren2010.jpg

Edited by Braunbear

Europe: Austria

Under the theme "Magic Plant World" Austria issued 2011 stamps over the "Custom Stamp" with various carnivorous plants. These stamps have mostly a very small print run.

These are the following values and plants:

55 cent - Sundew: Drosera aliciae

55 cent - Pitcher plant: Sarracenia leucophylla

65 cent - Tropical Pitcher Plant: Nepenthes merilliana

oesterreichPM2011_01.jpgoesterreichPM2011_03.jpgoesterreichPM2011_02.jpg

On 25 March 2011 issued Slovenia a 3-part series of stamps with a block, which have the topic "Native wetland plants".

The first stamp value in this series has the motive of the round-leaved sundew "Drosera rotundifolia". The image of the sundew is tilted slightly to one side so that it gives the appearance that the leaves are narrower than they actually are. For the nominal values used Slovenia letters instead of numbers. A = 0.27 €, B = 0.31 €, C = 0.40 €

There were printed 100,000 copies of these sets.

Slowenien_2011_03_25.jpg

Germany - Special Stamp cancellation 03.07.2011

On 03.07.2011 issued the local the stamp club "Meininger Briefmarkensammlerverein e.V." in Meiningen/Germany under the event "nature day 2011" a special cancellation for the UNESCO biosphere reserve in Rhön. As cancellation motive, a the leaf of round-leaved sundew "Drosera rotundifolia" was used.

BRD_Sonderstempel_Sonnentau_03.07.2011.jpg

Edited by Braunbear

Postcards with carnivorous plants

From my theme collection "Carnivorous Plants" I would like to show postcards, which have various carnivorous plant motives.

The first postcard is from the Botanical Garden Munich-Nymphenburg and represents (left), the pitcher plant Nepenthes rafflesiana and (right) Nepenthes x mastersiana, which is a hybrid of the tropical pitcher plants N. sanguinea and N. khasiana.

AK_Muenchen.jpg

The second postcard shows the reserve-garden at Schönbrunn with an inside view of the greenhouse and various species of pitcher plants (Sarracenia).

AK_schoenbrunn.jpg

Both postcards doesn't have a date, but it seems they are old.

• 2 weeks later...

This stamp block from the Seychelles was issued in 08 June 1990, the occasion of the international exhibition (EXPO) in Osaka, Japan. It recalls the friendship between Japan and the Seychelles.

The stamp with the value of R5 shows a young pitcher of the tropical pitcher plant "Nepenthes pervillei."

SeychellenJapan_1990.jpg

• 1 month later...

Braunbear, may I add one more different stamp?

One 1997 Malayisian sheet. In the 50 sen stamp It have included the Malaysia 1996 wildlife issue. So this sheet have a stamps that depict another stamp that depict a Nepenthes, funny, eh? ;)

"1997 marks three notable events in the history of Philately in Malaysia. Firstly, it is the 130th Anniversary of the first stamps (1867-1997), then the 50th Anniversary of the Philatelic Society of Malaysia (PSM) (1947-1997), the national organization in Malaysia and finally 50 Years of Organized Philately in the country. To commemorate these events Pos Malaysia, the Philatelic Society of Malaysia and the Department of Museums & Antiquity are organizing a National Philatelic Exhibition (MALPEX’97) which is fully sponsored by Pos Malaysia.

The 50sen stamp features the ‘Wildlife’ sheetlet issued of the first National Stamp Week’96."

Here, the detail of one FDC of this issue showing the sheet.

gallery_4311_485_233627.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Braunbear, may I add one more different stamp?

[...]

Hello Lovecraft,

thank you for your stamp presentation. I already have got this stamp sheet for a while. I have forgot to show it here. Your stamp information is really useful. :) Thank you.

Today I want to show the official First Day Cover of the first japanese carnivorous plant stamp with the butterword "Pinguicula ramosa". information about this stamp

FDC_Japan_1978.jpg

• 3 months later...

In 2011 issued the postal administration of the French overseas territories New Caledonia one stamp sheet for the "Blue River National Park". As stamp motives here are various native plants and animals. In the lower right corner of this stamp sheet there is a tropical pitcher plant in flower. This may be just the Nepenthes vieillardii , which is located exclusively on this island group.

Neu-Kaledonienn_2011.jpg

The latest stamp issue from Thailand to the appropriate subject topic was on 15 November 2009 as the "new year 2010" issue published. This stamp series consisted of four different flower motives. A floral motive is the flower of Drosera-type "Drosera peltata". There was once a block with all four stamps and a printed sheet of 10 stamps for each subject. According to the Michel-Rundschau magazine, it should also be a variant imperforated.

Issue reason: New Year 2010 "flowers"

Date of issue: 15 November 2009

Value: 3 baht

Images: stamp sheet of the "Drosera peltata"; block with all stamps.

2009_Thailand_Block.jpg

2009_Thailand_Bogen.jpg