Carnivorous plants on stamps

Braunbear

First, I want to introduce myself. My name is Thomas, I am 29 Years old. I live in Hettstedt, a small town in the middle of Germany. My fascination of the carnivorous plant had begun in 2008 with a small sarracenia pitcher plant. Today I have a small bog-container in my garden with various Sarracenias.

In addition to collecting real carnivores plants, I am also a stamp collector. In search of a new collection area I had the idea: "Why not combine two hobbies?" So I am looking for stamps with carnivorous plant motifs. This stamp collection area sounds very exotic and I don't know anyone in my area who collects this too.

I'm going to get this moving carnivorous plants closer to show some of my stamps and letters purchased in bulk. If possible I would have any information about the illustrated stamps or letters to write down as far as I known.

According to my knowledge were far from 39 countries worldwide over 138 different stamps (including variants) issue. Many of these stamps are hard to get but it's looking very attractive after that and build up the collection.

Table of contents

Date Plant

24.04.1962 Sarracenia purpurea

23.02.1966 Sarracenia purpurea

25.08.1966 Aldrovanda vesiculosa

29.12.1970 Nepenthes pervillei

1971-1986 Heliamphora nutans

06.08.1973 Nepenthes pervillei

17.05.1974 Nepenthes mirabilis (phyllamphora)

10.04.1978 Nepenthes pervillei

08.06.1978 Pinguicula ramosa

12.06.1978 Pinguicula grandiflora

08.06.1985 Sarracenia oreophila

29.11.1985 Sarracenia purpurea

28.12.1985 Triphyophyllum peltatum (not in Collection)

12.11.1986 Nepenthes vieillardii

12.03.1987 Nepenthes mirabilis

10.04.1987 Drosera rotundifolia

08.02.1988 Pinguicula vulgaris

1989 Nepenthes rafflesiana

08.06.1990 Nepenthes pervillei

28.10.1991 Sarracenia flava

28.10.1991 Nepenthes x mixta

12.09.1992 Drosera rotundifolia

27.01.1993 Nepenthes

15.11.1994 Utricularia delphinoides, Utricularia minutissima, Utricularia bifida

10.08.1995 Nepenthes

24.08.1995 Nepenthes villosa, Dionaea muscipula, Sarracenia flava, Sarracenia purpurea, Nepenthes ampullaria, Nepenthes gracilis

09.10.1995 Sarracenia x moorei

31.10.1995 Nepenthes hybrid

14.03.1996 Darlingtonia califonica

14.03.1996 Cephalotus follicularis

06.04.1996 Nepenthes sanguinea, rajah, lowii, macfarlanei

02.12.1996 Nepenthes

01.08.1997 Aldrovanda vesiculosa

18.06.1999 Drosera (rotundifolia)

1999 Sarracenia flava (not in collection)

1999 Nepenthes (not in collection)

31.12.1999 Nepenthes lowii

2000 various carnivorous plants

09.05.2000 Drosera anglica

02.10.2000 Nepenthes rafflesiana

10.07.2001 Utricularia vulgaris

23.08.2001 Dionaea muscipula, Sarracenia flava, Darlingtonia californica, Drosera anglica

04.03.2002 Nepenthes mirabilis

26.04.2002 Sarracenia flava, Sarracenia minor

17.12.2002 Nepenthes

15.11.2004 Utricularia bifida

10.02.2005 various carnivorous plants

24.03.2005 Nepenthes khasiana

01.08.2005 various carnivorous plants

26.04.2006 Nepenthes muluensis

2006 various sundews

09.10.2006 Nepenthes mirabilis, Drosera burmannii

31.10.2006 Nepenthes ampullaria

19.12.2006 Utricularia intermedia

01.03.2007 Pinguicula grandiflora

06.07.2007 Sarracenia purpurea

03.08.2007 Nepenthes mirabilis, Nepenthes ampullaria

29.09.2007 Drosera intermedia, Utricularia cornuta, Sarracenia purpurea, Pinguicula vulgaris

05.09.2008 Nepenthes rafflesiana

2009 Archaeamphora longicervia

2009 Drosera Peltata

2010 Drosera rotundifolia

2010 Sarracenia purpurea

2010 Nepenthes mirabilis (?)

2011 Drosera aliciae, Sarracenia leucophylla, Nepenthes merilliana

25.03.2011 Drosera rotundifolia

03.07.2011 Drosera rotundifolia

2011 Nepenthes vieillardii

2011 Sarracenia alata and Dionaea muscipula

Today I present here the very first postage stamp with the subject in front of a carnivorous plant. The stamp was issued by Saint Pierre and Miquelon in 1962. It shows the most common pitcher plant on the North American continent: a flowering Sarracenia purpurea.

Saint-Pierre and Miquelon is a small group of islands east of the Canadian coast, about 25 miles south of Newfoundland. There live well 6,300 people. Main occupations of the French-speaking population are fishing and tourism. The capital is Saint-Pierre. The islands represent the last remnants of the French colony of New France since 1816 and are consistently a French overseas territory.

Issue date: 24 April 1962

Stamp Size: 51mm x 31mm

Value: 100 RF Franc

saintpierre_1962.jpg

I apologize in advance if my English contains typographical errors.

Edited by Braunbear

Welcome Thomas, very nice post!

I was always thinking about creating a post like this, but never had the time. I hope that you will continue to contribute in it, in order to create an as-complete-as-it-could-be list of CP thematic stamps.

Nick

Today I want to go to the north of the American continent, Canada!

This stamp is part of a coat of arms of Canada series of 12 stamps. They show the various Canadian provinces. On every stamp the floral emblem and the emblem of the province will be honored.

The stamp with the province of Newfoundland, is decorated with a Sarracenia purpurea. This carnivorous plant is found there in the wild very often.

Issue reason: Canadian provinces

Issue date: 23. February 1966

Value: 5 Canadian cents

As pictures I show a double stamp from the sheet edge and the accompanying First Day Cover.

Kanada_1966einzelmarke.jpg

1966_Canada_FDC.jpg

For the third stamp with a carnivorous plant we are going to Europe.

This stamp from Romania was issued in 1966 and is part of a series with 8 stamps. The issue shows the aquatic flora of Romania. The third stamp value has the subject of Aldrovanda vesiculosa.

Issue reason: Aquatic Fauna of Romania

Issue date: 25 August 1966

Value: 20 Bani

Aldrovanda.jpg

Edited by Braunbear

The Republic of Seychelles is an island nation in the Indian Ocean. It lies east of Africa and north of Madagascar and Mauritius. Between Africa and the Seychelles are the Comoros. In 1970 the first stamp of the archipelago with a tropical pitcher plant was issued. This native pitcher plant is called Nepenthes pervillei.

Issue date: 29 December 1970

Value: 20 cents

Pictures: single stamp and complete sheet.

N.pervileii2.jpg

Seychellen1970_Block.jpg

In 1978, a further stamp came out with the pitcher plant Nepenthes pervillei, of which there were 4 different types with different values and heraldic symbols. The second edition, as shown in the image, which was issued in 1980. Two other later editions were later published in the year 1980-81.

Issue date: 10 April 1978

Value: 15 Seychelles Rupee

nepenthes.jpg

Another stamp with Nepenthes pervillei was published in 1983. The stamp is part of a series with four stamps to commemorate the centennial anniversary of the visit of Marianne North in this island group. Marianne North was a botanist-artist who designed this stamp drawings and had a pitcher plant named after your name (Nepenthes northiana).

Issue date: 17 November 1983

Value: 7 Seychelles Rupee

Seychellen1983.jpg

This stamp was issued in 1971 in Guyana, South America. This is the first stamp which shows a south pitcher plant (Heliamphora). In this case, it is Heliamphora nutans. This carnivorous plant is a native of five species from the Mount Roraima mountains (over 2800 meters above sea level in Guyana).

But this single stamp that has been something special! In the course of time after the initial issue the stamps got through the postal administration of Guyana in 15 years no less than 23 Porto overprints! The last of this issue with a porto overprint was released in 1986. I'm still looking for these overprint stamps.

Heliamphora.jpg

I was just sticking one of these on an envelope a few minutes ago.

Trev.

Yes, this is a stamp with a right carnivorous plant.

Fabulous stamps there. Are there any with VFTs?
Of course there are.. I suggest we wait and let Braunbear list the stamps at his pace with the chronological order he started...

Yes, there are also stamps with Venus Flytraps, too. I will present these stamps later during my chronological order. Please stay patient. :sun_bespectacled:

These two stamps from Madagascar of 1973, the pitcher plant Nepenthes pervillei dedicated. Although other pitcher plants are native to the 590,000 square meter island east of Africa, this species is shown to be found only on the Seychelles. The stamp design is very stylized, with a cross section through the pitcher as shown. In addition to the perforated issue, there's also a non-perforated issue.

Issue date: 6. August 1973

Stamp size: 38.5 mm x 38.5 mm

Values: 25 F / 40 F

Madagascar1973.jpg

Guest paultemple

Hi!

Nice to find my name embedded in the start of a topic.

I have good news and bad news.

The good news is that if you like the idea of collecting CPson stamps, then thee certaiinly are a few stamps to hunt down.

As. To the bad news, if you think you'll end up with a partly filled albm, think again. I'm not going to argue with how many different CP stamp designs there are (because for the next 3 days I'm not near my stamps to count them) and the same goes for the numbeR of countries that have issues.

But, if you include stamps with CPs, variations, errors, FDCs and all things philatelic, thenbe aware that I have over 10 full albums and my collection is still incomplEte. OK, I admit ioo include. Whole issues even if an iissue of two or more stamps. Includes only one with a CP onit. However, even without non-CP stamps from issues that include CPs, there are still LOTS!!!

As just one example, my collection of the Indian Nepenthes stamp (just that one stamp) fills an entire album. And as I'm on the subject, be aware that jst that stamp will cost a fortune to collect if you include all the error variants - - have specimens worth thousands of UK Pounds sterling EACH!

For those of you willing to rise to the. Challenge. -- enjoy!!!

Cheers

Paul

@paultemple

You are right. When I want to collect every stamp with errors, varieties and other things, the collection ist still incomplete.

But it is very exciting to find new issued stamps from a country or even varieties.

And now, the stamp presentation for today.

Laos (Lao PDR) is the only landlocked country in Southeast Asia. It borders on China, Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand and Myanmar and has almost seven million square inhabitants in an area of 236.8 thousand km. Capital and largest city is Vientiane.

This stamp was issued in 1974 by the postal administration of Laos. It is part of a series of three stamps that show the flora of Laos. As one of the plant motifs they chose the pitcher plant Nepenthes phyllamphora. This species is now known under the name Nepenthes mirabilis.

Issue date: 17. May 1974

Stamp size: 40 mm x 40 mm

Value: 500 K

N.ampullaria.jpg

Yesterday's earthquake in Japan has shocked me, too. Therefore, it is a coincidence that today I am presenting stamps from there. Even in the land of the rising sun you can find stamps with carnivorous plants.

The first Japanese postage stamp with the motive of a carnivorous plant was issued at 8 June 1978. It shows the butterwort "Pinguicula ramosa". This stamp is a part of a series with three stamps to the flora of Japan. Such "Mexican" species there are also indigenous to the Japanese island.

Japan_1978_%20Nature%20Conservation_(19th%20series).jpg

On 1 August 1997, Japan has issued a stamp with a waterwheel plant "Aldrovanda vesiculosa". These carnivorous aquatic plant is native to swamps in the regional Hozoji (Saitama). This seems that this species will be extinct in Europe, Asia, Australia and France. Nevertheless, we still find them in Japan.

Japan1997.jpg

In 2009, a local postal service in Japan issued an 8-part series on the fauna and flora. One of this stamp shows the tropical pitcher plant Nepenthes melamphora (Reinward) = Nepenthes gymnamphora Reinw. ex Nees. Japan is not a tropical country, and you can't find one of these species. The stamp image was drawn by Ernst Haeckel (February 16, 1834 – August 9, 1919) in 1904. He was an eminent German biologist, naturalist, philosopher, physician, professor and artist. Haeckel promoted and popularized Charles Darwin's work in Germany.

2009_japan_localpost_CP.jpg

Today we visit the island next to the United Kingdom: Ireland!

The first stamp with a carnicorous plant in Ireland was issued in 12 June 1978. The stamp shows the butterwort Pinguicula grandiflora. This plant is indigenous on the island.

Issued event: Irish Flora

Value: 11 P

Number of copies: 2.000.000 units

Another plant was issued in 9. October 1995, then with the crossed pitcher plant Sarracenia x moorei (S. x [flava x leucophylla].

Issued event: 200 years Botanical gardens in Ireland: Rare Plants

Value: 38 P

Number of copies: 500.000 units

Irland1978.jpgIrland1995.jpg

Finally in 1 March 2007 Ireland issued two equal stamps, but with difference postal values. These stamps are available in stampbooklets and they are self-adhesive. The motive is the butterwort Pinguicula grandiflora again.

Issued event: Irish Flora

Value: 55 P for Inland use, N for abroad (I think ;) )

irland_2007_55c.jpgirland_2007_N.jpg

Edited by Braunbear

On 8 June 1985 the postal authorities of the Ivory Coast issued a 4parts series of stamps with bird motives. One stamp shows a Great Crested Grebe and you can find in the image the pitcher plant "Sarracenia oreophila". This pitcher plant is not found naturally in the African country. The stamp series is dedicated to the American ornithologist and artist John James Audubon (April 26, 1785 in Les Cayes, Haiti; † 27 January 1851 in New York).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_James_Audubon

1985_Elfenbeinkueste.jpg

New Caledonia is an island group the southwestern Pacific. France took they in possession in September 1853. The island group becomes in 18.01.1860 a French colony and in 27.10.1946 a French overseas territory. The capital is Noumea. 1986 issued the postal administration for the Society for Nature Conservation, a special stamp. There is shown, with other plants, the tropical pitcher plant "Nepenthes vieillardii".

Issue reason: Society for Nature Conservation

Issue date: 12 November 1986

Value: 73 Fr

N.viveilis.jpg

Palau is an island nation in the Pacific Ocean. This Pacific island region is assigned to Micronesia. The island region is formed from the western archipelago of the Caroline Islands. Palau is located north of Papua New Guinea and has some far-flung islands in the southwest (southwestern islands called). The six island-groups of the Palau Islands consist of 356 islands, the largest by far with 396 km² is Babelthuap. Only eleven of the islands are inhabited.

On 12 March 1987 issued the post office in Palau, a 13-part series of stamps out with plant motives. The stamp with the value of $ 2, the pitcher plant Nepenthes mirabilis is shown. This pitcher plant is found in Southeast Asia and also in Palau. The stamp with the highest stamp value ($ 10) all the flowers of the plants are shown. Top left is the flower of Nepenthes mirabilis.

1987palau2cent.jpg1987palau10cent.jpg

Now, we are going back to Europe, more specifically to the Faroe Islands. This, from the year 1988 issued postage stamp shows the European butterwort (Pinguicula vulgaris). The corresponding stamp set consisted of four stamps dedicated to the flora of the Faroe Islands. The highest value indicates the butterwort motive. It is therefore natural that this plant can also be found in this country. The images shows the single stamp and the first day cover with 4 stamps.

Issue reason: Flora of the Faroe Islands, part I

Issue date: 8 February 1988

Value: 9 Faroe-crown

Farör_1988.jpgFarör1988_FDC.jpg

Thomas, as this thread is growing steadily with new additions each day, I have the fear that it may become difficult to browse and search something in it, in a couple of weeks..

Maybe it would be a good idea to edit your first post by adding an index which will poiint to each post, either by country, year, or species...

Thomas, as this thread is growing steadily with new additions each day, I have the fear that it may become difficult to browse and search something in it, in a couple of weeks..

Maybe it would be a good idea to edit your first post by adding an index which will poiint to each post, either by country, year, or species...

I like your idea of an index in the first article. I'll think about that.

If it is too fast for you with one stamp a day, I can also slow down my posting rate. :sarcastic_hand:

PS: Can anyone split my first post into two posts?

Edited by Braunbear

I have edited my first post with an index for a better navigation throught my theme.

On 29 November 1985 celebrated the Kingdom of Bhutan in Asia, with a postage stamp series, the 200th birthday of the famous French-American ornithologist and artist J.J. Audubon (1785-1851). His artistic works were often used (as in the Ivory Coast) for stamps. Here is a bird series, issued with 8 values​​, one of the stamp shows the pitcher plant "Sarracenia purpurea".

The pitcher plant is native only in North America.

bhutan1985.jpg

Edited by Braunbear

Saint Thomas (Danish St. Thomas) is an island of the U.S. Virgin Islands in the Caribbean, part of the unincorporated area outside of the United States. At Saint Thomas is also the capital of the area, Charlotte Amalie. From 1672 to 1917 Saint Thomas was the most important of the three island colonies in the former Danish West Indies, including St. Croix and St. John yet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Thomas,..._Virgin_Islands

In 1989 there was a master butterfly sheet issued where a pitcher plant Nepenthes rafflesiana is shown.

Unfortunately, I found this block only in canceled form. If I succeed, I will also bring the post-fresh sheet into my collection.

SaintThomas1989.jpg

Edited by Braunbear

Sierra Leone is a republic in West Africa, bordering Guinea, Liberia and the Atlantic. After a decade of civil war the country is now busy with reconstruction and refurbishment in recent history. The country is still one of the poorest countries in the world.

In 1991 came a sheet out of 16 stamps commemorating the botanical gardens in the world. There were three different sheets with botanical gardens. Here was presented the botanical garden in Munich (Germany). Including motives with carnivorous plants. In this sheet there are two CP's, the pitcher plant "Sarracenia flava" with flower and the tropical pitcher plant "Nepenthes x mixta", a cross (hybrid) between "Nepenthes northiana" and "Nepenthes maxima".

As pictures, I have shown here the complete issued sheet and the two corresponding motive stamps.

Issue reason: Botanical Gardens of the World

Issue date: 28 October 1991

Value: 60 LE (Leone)

Sierra_Leone_1991.jpg

N.mixta_leone_1991.jpgS.flava_leone_1991.jpg