Quite a few people seem to use washed chilrens play sand like this from homebase:

£2.99 for 15KG

It may not be silca sand though but should be safe if its aimed at children (ie no lime content)

Ive not used it myself yet but may get some soon.

They have Silver sand at homebase http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/store...>SILVER+SAND

£3.99 for 25kg, but its the very fine stuff so not sure if its actually benificial, i picked up one bag but i havn't actually used any yet. I think silver sand is silica sand but im unsure.

Brand is Bradstone aggregate, i will phone them up when i get the chance.

Edited by JimsPlants

Absolutely, mobile! :wink:

Silicosis is a potentially fatal lung condition caused by inhalation of silica dust.

It's not just Elf and Safety hysteria, either:

One of the worst 'disasters' in U.S. history happened at Hawk's Nest in the State of West Virginia during the Depression era. Union Carbide dug a tunnel using black workers, found silica and gave the workers no protection against the silica dust. I understand that the company was aware of the risk of silicosis. (The managers did have protection and I believe they were predominantly white). A Congressional investigation indicated 476 deaths.

The State of West Virginia is alleged to have actively repressed publicity about Hawk's Nest. According to an historical marker on site, there were 109 admitted deaths. Interestingly, Wikipedia has only two small, carefully-worded entries on Hawk's Nest, one as a little paragraph under Union Carbide.

Look further down the Wikipedia article on Union Carbide, and you'll see that the company was involved in the much more recent Bhopal 'disaster' in India.

Call it eccentricity if you will, but I avoid using unwashed silica sand and buying Union Carbide products. Can't think why.

Vic :thumright:

Edited by Vic2

Call it eccentricity if you will, but I avoid using unwashed silica sand and buying Union Carbide products. Can't think why.

Vic :wink:

Wow!! thanks for that piece of American History I did'nt know till now...Its really sad as to what happensto plenty of

minorities here in this country..But I totally agree to boycotting Union Carbide products :thumright: ...

Cornish grit - available from good garden centres and nurserymen - is granite-based, acidic and works well with Pinguicula and Sarracenia.

But, I must again don my yellow Elf 'n' Safety helmet and tell you that granite releases two radioactive gases, thoron and radon-222.

Prolonged exposure to granite - such as (say) living like a hermit on a huge granite tor in the West Country for 35 years - will turn you into a Mutant Ninja Turtle, like me. (For proof, please refer to my avatar, on the left).

Aieee! :shock:

You-Have-Been-Warned-So-You-Can't-Sue of Letchworth :whistling:

Edited by Vic2

Cornish grit - available from good garden centres and nurserymen - is granite-based, acidic and works well with Pinguicula and Sarracenia.
Not to be confused with Dorset pea gravel, whcih contains exoskeletons and possibly dolomite, both being alkaline.
But, I must again don my yellow Elf 'n' Safety helmet and tell you that granite releases two radioactive gases, thoron and radon-222.

Prolonged exposure to granite - such as (say) living like a hermit on a huge granite tor in the West Country for 35 years - will turn you into a Mutant Ninja Turtle, like me. (For proof, please refer to my avatar, on the left).

hmmm... Aberdeen is called the granite city and I live in a house constructed of acid washed granite chip blocks.

Mutant-Ninja-Turtle of Aberdeenshire :whistling:

Edited by mobile

hmmm... Aberdeen is called the granite city and I live in a house constructed of acid washed granite chip blocks.

Mutant-Ninja-Turtle of Aberdeenshire :shock:

You want the good news or the bad news, mobile...?

OK, good news first: :whistling:

I'm dead* envious - you can grow CPs on your walls,

rather like the French botanist / vertical landscape designer / utter fruitcake, Patrick Blanc: Think of all that extra growing space!! :yes:

The bad news: :shock:

I hope you like crap cartoons and pizza, Dude... :nyam1:

Kind regards,

Always-Wanted-to-be-Shredder of Letchworth :yes:

*Poor choice of words, of course: You won't be dead because of granite. Just a Horrifying Scab-Encrusted Mutoid, who should be... :yes::hunter:

I think most of the health issues with these rocks comes from the dust produced while mining them.Not for the end user potting up a few plants.After all,these products wouldnt be on the market in the first place,if they were going to kill us!

Both perlite and silica can be used safely by the end user if water is added first to consolidate the material.

I take it that forum rule 2 was the reason you edited your post wallsg7?

No actualy,it was a simple mis-spelling of a word- much like your own edits im guessing ; )

Yes, so I see. You've deleted the whole first sentence to be sure there was nothing misspelt!

IMG_5405.jpg

"I"m Getting My-Sand (CYCLONE-'Dust') at-about 50-Cent-R-Kilo From Sloans at Dry-Creek:

IMG_5399.jpg

... Though Every 25-Kilo-Bag Has to-Be 'Washed' with ~$15-Dollars-Worth-of-Acid:

IMG_5427.jpg

After Soaking In-R-Dustbin:

IMG_5483.jpg

IMG_5485.jpg

It-Comes-OUT Like-THIS:

IMG_5514.jpg &-THIS:

IMG_5570.jpg

For-'Around' $1-Dollar-R-Kilo!!! >(*U^)<