Aldrovanda fruit

ifurita

I was just checking on my Aldrovanda a while back and noticed something I had never seen before:

DSC00259.JPG

And there's another one!

DSC00272.JPG

All in all, there were a good number of Aldrovanda flowering, around 10 or so buds. Keeping an eye on them for the next couple of days, I managed to finally get this shot(pardon my lousy photography skills):

DSC00268.JPG

As expected, a day or so after the bloom, almost all the flowers ended up like this:

DSC00273.JPG

It was a real surprise for me to see something I was never able to find a picture of:

DSC00262.JPG

very interesting your plants, how did you grown? where do u have them??

i have aldrovandas turions but never flowered

i'd appreciate it if u can give some advice to get them well

and pics of the place on it.

regards

very interesting your plants, how did you grown? where do u have them??

i have aldrovandas turions but never flowered

i'd appreciate it if u can give some advice to get them well

and pics of the place on it.

I grow them in a large plastic container that is more or less left to the mercy of the weather. Since I live in the tropics, that means a steady 27-35C during the day, 24-27C at night. It gets a fair bit of morning sun, but otherwise its bright but indirect light for the rest of the day. I'll try to get a pic of the area, but it doesn't show much except for a plastic container sitting on the floor. I noticed that the flowering occured after this 2-3 period of exceptionally warm weather, so that may have been the trigger.

I've had them flowering and fruiting as well as setting seed (only 2 seed per pod!) and getting them to germinate as well, just not had the chance to photograph them yet, but I'm glad that someone has had the time to do so! - Rich

You're right about that: the flowers don't last long at all and are gone before you know it, just like the fruit...the one in the pic split before I could collect the seed. Gah. Seed or none, these guys grow really quickly...together with the U. reflexa they're growing with, they're running out of space in the container.

The flowers are open only a few hours; you are very lucky to get to them with a good camera and macro lens when they're open! Yes, Aldrovanda grows incredibly fast, especially in warm weather, when they can produce 2 whorls per day! I hope they pollinated and you can watch the seed germinate. My Japanese strains also seem to flower during a heat wave when the water temps go over 90F for about 2 weeks. - Rich