Good seed supplier?

Hornet

I suggest you avoid CZ Plants who also sell on ebay, but don't call themselves cz on ebay (they flood it, with their seeds).

Not sure what your import rules are on seeds. But if you are legally allowed to - get them from ebay there are loads of decent sellers of hybrid seed from Thailand as well as albermalesound in Indonesia for wild seed.

Edited by Phil Green

I suggest you avoid CZ Plants who also sell on ebay, but don't call themselves cz on ebay (they flood it, with their seeds).

Not sure what your import rules are on seeds. But if you are legally allowed to - get them from ebay there are loads of decent sellers of hybrid seed from Thailand as well as albermalesound in Indonesia for wild seed.

What's wrong with CZplants? *looks at packet of seeds that just arrived*

What's wrong with CZplants? *looks at packet of seeds that just arrived*

For their Nep seeds -

1) The seeds they advertise as 'fresh' are usually upto 2 years old or more :give_heart:

2) What they call 'seed' is often anything but - they don't seem to be able to tell the difference between fertilised and unfertilised seed, even though it is obvious to anyone who knows what they are doing. Just because it comes out of a seed pod, doesn't make it seed!! This is particularly important, when they only sell them in packets of around 20 'seeds'.

3) It is expensive for what you get (even if it was seed). They get most of their Nep seed off ebay, from the guys who sell pods of seed. So you would be much better off buying far more for around twice the price from the original sellers on ebay. You also have a better chance of getting a decent amount of fertilised seed and it is far more likely to be fresh.

What seed of other cp's is like I don't know.

But I would strongly advise everyone to avoid them for Nep seed. Yes, if you are lucky to get it shortly after they do, and it contains some actual seed, then you may be lucky to have some germination. But it shouldn't be 'pot luck'. Added to the fact that they sell VFT seeds of named 'cultivars' / 'clones' which everyone knows can only be propogated vegetively - leads me to the conclusion, that 'I wouldn't touch em with a barge pole'. Because I don't consider these to be the practises of a 'reputable company'.

I agree with Phil.

Mostly.

Seeds from cz plants are often old- and old seed doesn't germinate. I've bought quite a few seeds from them- and what you get is random in terns of age- but you don't get enough seeds, and the germination rate is low.

What's more- as Phil says- most of their seed that they sell on ebay (under the name "tapir cabrakovy") has been obtained from other ebay sellers- or from people who have offered seeds for sale on this very forum! Except by the time cz plants offer it for sale, it usually 20 times the price (that's an accurate calculation) and has been in storage for ages.

The thing with Nep seeds is that it has to be fresh- so you just have to wait for things to come up for sale. There's some outstanding sellers here on cpuk, and I can't recommend Ricardo ("albermarlesounds") on ebay too highly- he will always send a whole pod of fresh seeds. I've only ever bought a couple of things from him that have failed to germinate- and even then I think that's just natural bad luck with the seed harvest.

In obtaining fresh Nep seed, my tips are to scan the cpuk "for sale" sections, scan ebay, and avoid cz plants/ tapir cabrakovy for seed.

I have to add: cz plants are EXCELLENT if you're buying Nep PLANTS. I've bought a couple of dozen Nep plants from them, and they've been great plants at great prices- I can recommend them for that. They get most of their stock from Borneo Exotics, but somehow, they've got some stuff from Wistuba that you can't get direct from Wistuba.

It's been driving me up the 'kin wall that Wistuba won't respond to emails- and even when he does, for over 12 months now has been saying that he'll have a carunculata robusta "in a couple of months"- and then after a couple of months, it's still a "couple of months"- and yet somehow, cz plants have got it in stock, at 2.5x the cost of a plant direct from Wistuba! AAARRGH!

Sorry, went off on a rant there.

Anyone got a carunculata robusta going spare?

Edited by Gareth Davies

Cheers guys, we can legally import clean seed but i'm not sure how we would go with importing pods, i guess if they were dry and not fleshy it might be ok.

Pods are not permitted, neither is any other part of the plant other than the seed. Whether or not we can import the seed depends upon the species, or which species a crossing has been derived from.

Pods are not permitted, neither is any other part of the plant other than the seed. Whether or not we can import the seed depends upon the species, or which species a crossing has been derived from.

did you have the list of what species we can import or know where i can get it? I had an unusual situation recently when buying a hybrid, both the parents were permitted imports but the hybrid wasnt lol

Hi

I have imported seeds from a couple of places. The first, and most obvious if you are a CPS member, is from the CPS in the UK. Everything I had from the seed bank there was good.

Another good place to try is Triffid Nurseries in the UK. I had a few Drosera seeds from them a few years ago that did well too.

I'm guessing the NZ import requirements are similar to those for the West Island :red33: and I had no problems with bringing the seed in from either place

did you have the list of what species we can import or know where i can get it? I had an unusual situation recently when buying a hybrid, both the parents were permitted imports but the hybrid wasnt lol

I assume you are still referring to seed?

You can see the list here-

Nepenthes seed import conditions

In regards to the hybrid situation, the following statement is relevant-

Where the parents of a hybrid are permitted in ICON the hybrid plant may be imported without a separate ICON listing. Imported hybrids must be clearly labelled with their full parentage for identification by AQIS.