Drosera spatulata Hong Kong vs. Drosera 'Hong Kong'

Are they the same?

Peter D'Amato gives a very short description of the cultivar (questionable, whether it's really registered) on page 131 in his book (1 inch diameter, pink or white flowers), here's the ICPS entry: http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cpdb/CPdb...hp?cp_id=118763, note the following: Etymology: after the provenience of the plant

So, what about Drosera spatulata Hong Kong. I cannot find pictures of the above "cultivar", of the "non-cultivar" there are however many, see last picture here: http://www.carnivorousplants.org/seedbank/...D_spatulata.htm

I have a Drosera spatulata Hong Kong, and am of course wondering if it's the same plant that Peter describes.

And then there is Drosera 'Ruby Slippers' that is also a D. spatulata from Hong Kong.

Here's my attempt to explain, anyone please correct if I'm mistaken.

Drosera 'Hong Kong' is identical to Drosera spatulata Hong Kong. First mentioned is not a registered cultivar.

Drosera 'Ruby Slippers' is a registered cultivar, a Hong Kong-type D. spatulata with distinguishing traits.

Howdy Amar,

You are correct, Drosera spatulata Hong Kong, as published in "Savage Garden", is not a validly registered cultivar. It does not meet all of the requirements for cultivar registration, so its registration is incomplete, see --> D. 'Hong Kong'. I don't believe the original publication even included a photographic standard.

Cultivar names, such as Drosera spatulata 'Ruby Slippers' can be correct when written several ways; Drosera 'Ruby Slippers', Drosera spatulata 'Ruby Slippers', or D. spatulata 'Ruby Slippers'. See, ICRA Name ->

"HOW DO I FORM A NEW CULTIVAR NAME?

The full name of a cultivar will always begin with the name of the genus to which the cultivar belongs. Optionally, the species or hybrid epithet may be included as a second element in the entire name but this is not usually necessary; inclusion of such epithets merely provides more information about your cultivar"

Here is a link to the published standard photograph for Drosera 'Ruby Slippers'. The main reason I chose to register this cultivar is that Drosera 'Ruby Slippers' closely resembles a large Drosera brevifolia. Drosera brevifolia was the very first Drosera species I ever found growing in the wild. I was amazed at how dry the soil was where I first found a small colony of them. I also find the wedge-shape of its leaves and intense dark red coloration (when growing in strong light), to be quite attractive.

Whether or not your Drosera spatulata from Hong Kong is the same as the one Peter D'Amato wrote about in "Savage Garden", it would probably be best to ask Peter for his opinion. I think he is active on the CP Listserv.

Of course, just because the cultivar, Drosera spatulata 'Ruby Slippers' allegedly originated from plants reported to be collected from Kowloon Peak, Hong Kong, does not necessarily follow that all Drosera spatulata from Hong Kong are Drosera spatulata 'Ruby Slippers', or any other specific clone or cultivar. There are so many different forms of Drosera spatulata, it would be nice if more of them were registered as cultivars. However, it seems quite challenging to describe their subtle, yet unique differences, in order to qualify them for cultivar status - I still feel it should be attempted.

An additional question I would pose to the CP ICR, would be: Does the preliminary, yet incomplete registration of Drosera spatulata 'Hong Kong' reserve that cultivar name, awaiting the original author's completion, can it be completed by a new author, or even independently published by a new author?

Edited by Joseph Clemens