The Great Polytunnel Disaster 2011 ..........well almost

Listening to the wind howl around the house late last night I thought I would check to see how my polytunnel was standing up to it only to discover it wasn't. I looked out of my window, just before going to bed, to see my small polytunnel (2.5m x 2.0m) on it's side in the garden (fortunately it was still in my garden). This contained my collection of Sarracenia and so my immediate thoughts were what damage had been done to my plants.

Myself and my son went out to first secure the polytunnel, so that it didn't become a kite, and then to check on the damage. Fortunately only one small tray of plants had fallen off the table and on inspecting them this morning four of the plants just needed topping up with compost and two needed re-potting due to the pots having been broken.

I feel that I have gotten off lightly but it just reinforces the fact that I need a greenhouse.

Dave

• 7 months later...

Well following my polytunnel incident earlier in the year I decided to bite the bullet and invest in a greenhouse which I purchased whilst visiting the RHS Garden Show at Tatton Park at the end of July.

Below are photos of the before and after although I should add that the polytunnel was only ever a temporary measure because we were considering moving house and a polytunnel would have been much easier to dismantle and transport than a greenhouse. Needless to say a house move has now been put on the back burner.

The greenhouse also seems to have provided me with more room for plants (what a stroke of luck) although this may have to wait until I have had time to build some more staging.

619Polytunnel.jpg

315Greenhouse.jpg

You have probably done this but just in case. Is the greenhouse fastened to the paving? Otherwise you could have a glass kite next time.

Hi Mantrid

Yes I've screwed it to the paving.

Dave