Moorland Gold

Kryptonite

Hello,

I'm fairly new to this hobby and i have a number of plants--venus fly traps and sarracenia--which i need to repot. I am thinking about using moorland gold instead of the regular peat moss and have a couple of questions:

1) Is this suitable as a peat substitute for vfts, sarracenia and drosera?

2) Do you treat it as you would peat--mixing it with varying amounts of perlite/sand depending on what i am potting?

3) Other than the cost, is there any downside?

Many thanks :)

not if your local farm shop stocks it! :biggrin: Half the price of multipurpose

I wish I could get it locally here but last time I enquired with West Riding Organics it wasn't available anywhere nearby, which is a shame as I would like to try it.

I used Moorland Gold for the first time last autumn on a batch of Cephalotus divisions. I have found it to be just as good as ordinary peat. The only downside is that I have had to weed out a lot of grass seedlings from the pots.

Edited by JohnP

• 1 month later...
I used Moorland Gold for the first time last autumn on a batch of Cephalotus divisions. I have found it to be just as good as ordinary peat. The only downside is that I have had to weed out a lot of grass seedlings from the pots.

Thanks for the replies and advice. I made a 50:50 mix with sand and sowed some D Capensis seeds and am now just waiting for them to hatch. I have noticed that the grass seedling hatch faster!

I know "germinate" is the correct terminology, but i think "hatch" sounds cooler :)

• 1 month later...
I wish I could get it locally here but last time I enquired with West Riding Organics it wasn't available anywhere nearby, which is a shame as I would like to try it.

At last I can get this locally. My local Organics and Hydroponics Centre, Gavsgrow now stocks it, so I'll be repotting some of my plants in it this year :(

Edited by mobile

I used Moorland Gold ... I have found it to be just as good as ordinary peat. The only downside is that I have had to weed out a lot of grass seedlings from the pots.

If it's only a few pots-worth at a time, try microwaving the Moorland Gold first.

Add a bit of rainwater and keep it loosely covered to stop it drying out (and spattering your microwave with 'humus'). :hi:

I got the idea from Adrian Slack's method of boiling up peat for Aldrovanda;

Besides releasing the necessary humic acids, I found it took care of the algae for a while.

Cheers,

Vic

Edited by Vic2

• 1 year later...

hi I am currently involved with a cactus collective in East Anglia, where we are trying to make the effort and go peat free.

Last year we obtained some Moorland Gold and the initial results - tested on my CP collection seems promising.

I have just done my second round of Sarracenia repotting, this one I think better then the first round primarliy because I had some fresh experience and decided to sift the compost through a riddle before use, in order to improve the consistency.

Now I have a question, if anyone knows about the soil or soilless status of this stuff as compared with bog-extracted peat?

Thank you.

Jon