What am I doing wrong with D.adelae & D.prolifera ?

This Island Earth

Drosera adelae, unlike prolifera (and schizandra), will take as much light as you can give it and does not mind lower humidity. I grow mine in full sun in the Sarracenia greenhouse and it can take low temperatures down to near freezing but then dies back. It's not fussy about compost. D. prolifera can be tricky, I have never succeeded in growing it long-term

I've been growing prolifera, adelae and schizandra in an orchid house for nearly a year but they recently started looking a bit sorry for themselves and not producing much dew. I put a plastic tank over them above some water a few weeks ago to raise humidity and they seem to be perking up already, the schizandra especially. Growing them in live sphagnum and perlite.

I also failed to grow a long-term D. prolifera. It was okay for a few months, then suddenly died. I think I watered the plant too much. Growing tips, anyone?

For what it's worth, I've been growing mine on the tray method under fluorescent lights for several years now, and after reading up about them, I made this page last month: http://www.growsundews.com/sundews/Drosera_prolifera.html

Comments and suggestions would be welcomed.

And just for fun, here's a pic of D. prolifera and D. adelae growing in a clump during the cooler months, when they color up the most:

clump_Drosera_Adelae_Prolifera_in_Ceph_pot_post.JPG

http://www.growsundews.com/sundews/adelae/...in_Ceph_pot.JPG

Edited by droseraman

For what it's worth, I've been growing mine on the tray method under fluorescent lights for several years now, and after reading up about them, I made this page last month: http://www.growsundews.com/sundews/Drosera_prolifera.html

Comments and suggestions would be welcomed.

And just for fun, here's a pic of D. prolifera and D. adelae growing in a clump during the cooler months, when they color up the most:

clump_Drosera_Adelae_Prolifera_in_Ceph_pot_post.JPG

http://www.growsundews.com/sundews/adelae/...in_Ceph_pot.JPG

wow, that looks really great :). Will have to order a few prolifera and some more adelae now

May as well add my experience with adelae aswell. I purchased a sad looking plant from BigW a few months ago. No dew on its leaves, browning leaves and retarded growth. I left it in the pot it came in, looks like 100% peat and just put it outdoors in my orchid house sitting in water. Its now thrown out plenty of new growth with lots of dew and is looking quite well now

Drosera adelae, unlike prolifera (and schizandra), will take as much light as you can give it and does not mind lower humidity. I grow mine in full sun in the Sarracenia greenhouse and it can take low temperatures down to near freezing but then dies back. It's not fussy about compost. D. prolifera can be tricky, I have never succeeded in growing it long-term

D. adelae in full sun? I never knew that could be possible, thought they'd just burn up!!

D. adelae can definitely take the light. D. prolifera grows well for me, for awhile, and then declines. I could never get D. schizandra off the ground, as it were. I think the best media is LFS, preferably live.

Drosera adelae does not do well in full sun without there being a layer or two of glass between the sun and the plants. D. prolifera likes it a bit more humid as does D. schizandra. Of the three, D. schizandra is the most dependent on there being contanst high humdity and lower light levels. The higher the humidity, the brighter the ligh they can take each within their own respective niches.

Could use more light.

i think it s the normall color that she must have ,in nature she have also not sun and are bright green ,if i am not wrong then she lives in rainforest whitout any sun,red is a unatural color for this plants and i think it s not benefit the plants on long terms.

I li!ke it when she looks like in nature,but this is only my choice ,i like too very red plants but i take south Americans and other red color plants ,and try to make this so red if possible

Edited by will9