beautiful sarracenia

fan2carni

Yes, I remember it from a website of a grower I think who's in the US.

Here is the link to his website with the picture of the plant:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/corrosivehalo/3457908097/

I don't recognize the second one

Good luck!

This are indentical pics ,are this yours?So yes, then you must allready know the name ????

Is this other pic also from this site?then you can see the name also!

The second one i can see on this site = Sarracenia x [minor x (oreophila x purpurea)] 02

A Peter D'Amato cross. He described it as "[his] first hybrid".

Cheers

Edited by will9

Hi at all,

It isn't 'Leah Wilkerson', I think it's probably a S. x 'Helen Mary' (H182 MK).

here a pic by Mike King gallery: http://www.shropshiresarracenias.co.uk/gal....php?image_id=2

or S. x ''John david King'' H224 MK: http://www.shropshiresarracenias.co.uk/gal...hp?image_id=260

Ch

Natale

Edited by Natale

It's definitely a beautiful plant and very likely another Moorei hybrid but the lid underside colors are just completely wrong IMO. LW can have some very distinctive white colors on the top of the lid, usually around the outer edges but never on the underside to this extent.

I'll say it again though, it's beautiful!

Edited by F R e N c H 3 z

It's definitely a beautiful plant and very likely another Moorei hybrid but the lid underside colors are just completely wrong IMO. LW can have some very distinctive white colors on the top of the lid, usually around the outer edges but never on the underside to this extent.

I'll say it again though, it's beautiful!

Yeah! In my opinion it's much more better than LW!!

If it s not the riht named ,you must contact the owner of this plants!!

He set the names by this plants ,i think noone can tell it s not that plant becausse hes thinking it s not,i think there is no reasson to say that this guy have the wrong plants,if so please contact this guy and tell him before he sell the wrong offsets!!!!

Discuse on this topic abbouth this names whitout the real owner is not a good idea i think

See http://www.flickr.com/photos/corrosivehalo/3457908097/

I think this topic must be removed,it s not nice take pics from a fotosite from well named plants and say the are not whitout permision from the owner!!!

Iff starter from this topic is the owner(i have my doubts off this)please tell us you are the owner!

On the pfoto site its very clear that the owner say its his property!

Edited by will9

I think this topic must be removed,it s not nice take pics from a fotosite from well named plants and say the are not whitout permision from the owner!!!

I'm surprised it has stayed so long - given rule 10

(10]> Respect the intellectual property rights of others. Copyrighted images and text must not be posted to the forum from web sites or other sources without the owner's permission. Do not copy images posted to the forum by members without their permission. All images and text are assumed to be copyright of the owner unless stated otherwise. )

If it s not the riht named ,you must contact the owner of this plants!!

He set the names by this plants ,i think noone can tell it s not that plant becausse hes thinking it s not,i think there is no reasson to say that this guy have the wrong plants,if so please contact this guy and tell him before he sell the wrong offsets!!!!

Discuse on this topic abbouth this names whitout the real owner is not a good idea i think

See http://www.flickr.com/photos/corrosivehalo/3457908097/

Iff starter from this topic is the owner(i have my doubts off this)please tell us you are the owner!

On the pfoto site its very clear that the owner say its his property!

Nobody did that, just fan2carni, but i think he found pics through other way, and doesn't has faults. All other pics are linked to his Flickr account, marked with public and name well visible.

I would really like to know the real parentage of his LW, or if it is something else. I will surely write him a message in the next days and let you know!

Does the difference, between his plants and "our" plants, can be explained with "he lives in America" ? If that is the case, we will never reach such results. If that is not the case, i would like to know more about them!

There was no bad intent, just interest for his beautifull plant :P

Edited by prized

Hey all,

Those are my plants. I can guarantee the providence from both of those plants because I got them directly from the original growers!

First is definitely S. 'Leah Wilkerson'. I got it directly from Brooks Garcia, who submitted the name to ICPS:

http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cpn/Speci...34n1p27_28.html

Notice the identical features to the photos he submitted during the naming process. I've got S. 'Adrian Slack' as well, and they look very different. If your plants don't have these features, you might be growing a different clone. I've heard Brooks describe it as the "Queen of the Mooreis", and I'm inclined to believe him. It's a beautiful plant.

The second plant is a complex hybrid: S. x [minor x (oreophila x purpurea)]. I got it directly from the hybridizer, Peter D'Amato. It was sitting in a old pot, and hadn't been repotted in a long time, looking a little sickly from lack of light, and when I showed it to him, he was surprised. He described it as his "first hybrid". Laughingly, he said this was why he stopped breeding Sarras and left it up to Lois. I think it's a rather pretty plant, and I have another shot of it from a different angle that I like a lot:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/corrosivehalo/3457910161/

I'm pretty thorough about my sourcing. The S. leucophylla "Burgundy" is not to be confused with Slack's S. 'Burgundy' or S. 'Dana's Delight'. It may be the same as Mike King's L057, but I'm unsure of where his "Burgundy" originated. Mine came from Meadowview Biological Research Station, which is relatively well known for their extensive work with Sarracenias. Their website lists it as a backcross with S. rosea, which seems strange to me, but they still call it S. leucophylla "Burgundy". The picture is a little strange, and looks a bit different, but it's a beautiful plant so I'm not going to complain too much.

Cedric knows his stuff!

Thanks,

Brian

Thanks for settling that for us all Brian! I'm pleasantly surprised (as my jaw drops) by the white lid underside! Even Brooks' pictures in his cultivar description do not reflect the colors on the lid underside pictured in yours. I can only hope that my Leah shows some of those colors as well as I to received mine from Brooks. Something to DEFINITELY look forward to!

Thanks for sharing :)

Hey all,

Those are my plants. I can guarantee the providence from both of those plants because I got them directly from the original growers!

I'm pretty thorough about my sourcing. The S. leucophylla "Burgundy" is not to be confused with Slack's S. 'Burgundy' or S. 'Dana's Delight'. It may be the same as Mike King's L057, but I'm unsure of where his "Burgundy" originated. Mine came from Meadowview Biological Research Station, which is relatively well known for their extensive work with Sarracenias. Their website lists it as a backcross with S. rosea, which seems strange to me, but they still call it S. leucophylla "Burgundy". The picture is a little strange, and looks a bit different, but it's a beautiful plant so I'm not going to complain too much.

Cedric knows his stuff!

Thanks,

Brian

Hi Brian,

My S. leucophylla 'Burgundy' also came from Meadowview so is the same plant.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Brian,

Until I saw your last post I was convinced it was not a LW as it's coloured very differently to mine, and I imported one directly from Brooks a few years back and mine are identically coloured to those in the link you posted on the 8th. The first photo looked to be very much whiter with a richer red colour and I wanted one....but as you say it definately is LW and so I will have to see if different light conditions will get a nicer red colour on my plants.

Regards,

Dave.

• 3 weeks later...
My S. leucophylla 'Burgundy' also came from Meadowview so is the same plant.

Hey Mike,

Thanks for the confirmation. It's nice to tie things together like that. :)

Until I saw your last post I was convinced it was not a LW as it's coloured very differently to mine, and I imported one directly from Brooks a few years back and mine are identically coloured to those in the link you posted on the 8th. The first photo looked to be very much whiter with a richer red colour and I wanted one....but as you say it definately is LW and so I will have to see if different light conditions will get a nicer red colour on my plants.

Hey Dave,

For your reference, I grow my plants on a South facing balcony that gets light the moment the sun rises to the moment it sets. It's an ENORMOUS amount of light because I'm up on the side of a hill and the sun sets over the ocean. The weather is relatively mild since I'm so close to the coast. I do experience a little bit of burn on the edges of the leaves during the summer but for most plants the first few weeks after they've opened they're spot free. I'm aiming for max coloration.

And, of course, I try to take pictures when they're looking their best (mature, well formed, strong color) and the light is fantastic (very key!). I aim to replicate the plants at their most vibrant and the colors as my eyes see them. I cheated the picture of the S. 'Leah Wilkerson' a little with the angle. You can't see that one of the hoods is malformed and doesn't cover the top of the pitcher properly, but it's a fair representation. Brooks' original picture definitely doesn't show the full possibilities of color on these plants but I still haven't achieved the same massive hoods and pitcher mouths as his. I'm hoping if I let the plant mature more and give it a reaaaaally big pot that it will get the same shape.

Oh and here's a picture of the same plant but a year earlier and late in the season. You can see the coloring doesn't have the same pop to it:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/corrosivehalo/3079802729/

And here's another picture of the same plant (unknown year, picture date is bad) from a different angle and late in the season:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/corrosivehalo/4766904762/

Angle and lighting make a huge difference!

Good growing!

-Brian

Edited by Corrosive Halo