Fire in the Dionaea greenhouse!

Guest GazCez

Over the weekend our fairly extensive Dionaea collection was subject to a rather unpleasant occurance when the small paraffin heater in there burst into flames. The wick had fallen into the paraffin and a small fire engulfed the greenhouse. Luckily we were there to extinguish the flames but we were left with the question - what effect could these fumes really have on the vft's in the greenhouse? The windows and doors were shut and it blackened the windows.

I tend to think that not much will happen as the vft's appearance is unchanged - no singe marks or anything untoward. Also they are very dormant at the moment and after the snow we had the plants are bound to have buried themselves quite deep to protect themselves. What does everyone else think?

Just thought this might stimulate some brains and maybe other vft's collectors have similar tales of horror. Please no meanies winding us up and revelling in our misfortune!!!

Hi ceri & gary, i think they'll be fine. I'd just cut off any leaves that are left,in case they've absorbed any toxic fumes and probably change the top part of soil as said previously,or go for a full repot.

let us know how they turn out.

ada

Thanks for everyone's comments about the paraffin fire. I was unsure whether the fumes could have actually been toxic and what to do. I don't fancy repotting but in light of the severity of the fire but I think it would be best - so thanks Adrian. I also think that the trays could probably do with a spring clean - so thanks Zeeland as well.

I may leave a couple of 'sacrificial offerings' to see if they suffer any long term ill effects over time. I thought these could act as control subjects in a scientific interest capacity.

Anyone else had any vft misfortunes that were beyond their control?

Arg, yes the polytunnel! Mind you the cover will need replacing in a year or so and I've often thought of nuking the sarracenia in there (a story for another time I think).

Also this year will be the year of downsizing in the polytunnel so I am now officially giving away sarracenia (anyone, Bueller, Bueller...) as we are overrun. I would like to actually grow some veg in the polytunnel and not have to watch all the bumble bees committing sarracenia death in there like last year. Why bumble bees when it is usually hover flies, meat flies and wasps?

I've been out of action with the forum for several months due to a computer problem (f anyone is interested har, har) - first we had no computer and no funds to buy a new one. Finally when we got the new computer (sold some Uggs) the MTU setting was too high - so no forum. Finally sorted it out after scratching my head for weeks, researching on the internet and finally contacting The Techguys. It took hours that I will never be able to reclaim.....

Have I missed anything new in the world of vft's?

Also does anyone know if any of the nurseries such as Plantev, Christian Klein, CZ or Best Carnivorous Plants will be coming to the EEE?

Bye for now. C.

• 1 month later...

Well, ... "I"-Guess The-TEMP Shot-Up to Around 50c In-R-Matter-of-Minutes ... You Probably 'Have' Paraffin 'Scum' Over some-of The Water-Surfaces in-Your Greenhouse & The Small-amounts of Ethylene (gas) Given-OFF Whenever You Burn Paraffin 'May' Have-some Distant Effect On-Your Plants In The Near-Future!!!??? >(*~*)< / >(*U^)<