Mike King's open days, 2011

Mike King

Great pictures, I would love to go this year, anyone going up there from my area in or near Essex or the south East, could share a lift and petrol costs I can drive or jump in with someone else. Never been before and didn't fancy travelling all that way by myself, and I am not that great with directions.

Sorry, I mis-posted! I can only go on the 11th, not the 4th.

...it's just a shame I don't know anyone....

Edited by TheInactiveMoth

Hi,

just a few days, i´m very looking forward to it!

If anyone is interessted in some plants, i can bring some of my collection. Here you can find my offers:

http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=42243

See you on Saturday!

Best regards

Matze

OK everyone, just a few days to go!

Most of you know this, but parking in my road is a no no as space is at a premium and I have 2 sets of grumpy neighbours!

Please park in Queen Elizabeth Way which has many good parking areas, but please drive past my double gates and go much further in where the best parking is.

Here is a map of the roads and the parking areas are marked by a green cross. Please don't park on the road or pavement immediately outside my gates as that can case problems as it did a few years ago with a members car and a taxi!

454opendayparking1.jpg

Hi, I'm hoping to get to the open day as I'm travelling over to the EE from Ireland and I'm not flying back from Liverpool until 2100 on Monday night. Would there be anyone I could scrounge a lift off from Chester to Telford and back to Liverpool on the Monday. Alternately what are the public transport options.

Thanks, Ian

Again Many thanks to Mike and Helen for their hospitality, plants and of course the Rush primer!!

There wasnt as many there as usual..... Are you all saving yourselves for the EEE?

There were still 45 people including 9 from Germany and Keith Wilson from Holland.

Many thanks for a superb weeknd and I ended up with 10 new plants myself!

See some of you on the 4th of July.

Hi,

we arrived safely back in germany yesterday evening. We all enjoyed this weekend very much and hope to come back next year. Thanks to Helen and Mike for their great hospitality!!

Here are some pictures from Mike's collection i have taken during this weekend:

IMG_3244.JPG

IMG_3493.JPG

IMG_3738.JPG

IMG_3771.JPG

IMG_3750.JPG

F143_3.JPG

F111_1.JPG

F195.JPG

H148_4.JPG

H193_5.JPG

IMG_3339.JPG

L12A_6.JPG

L104F_8.JPG

M5_1.JPG

you can see some more pictures here: http://utricularia.net/sonstiges/MK2011/index.php

regards,

Christian

• Like 1

Hi,

it was a very great day, and i enjoyed it very much. Thank you Mike and Helen, for the hospitality.

Mike, your plants look best for the last 4 years!!! Very nice, tall and coloured!

My favourite plants are L19 and F269!

I´m looking forward, for the next Open day!

Best regards

Matze

Hi, Mike King. May I know how deep is your Sarracenia's pot?

Hi,

I use 13 x 13 x 13cm or 15 x 15 x 15 cm for the most large species and hybridads. Smaller growing ones are in 11 x 11 x 11cm sized pots.

Some quick mobile photos of what I picked up from Mike's:

1.jpg

S. flava 'Burgundy' (left), Sandy Creek Road ornata (back), Milton rubricorpora (front). I'd probably describe it as atropurpurea.

2.jpg

'Frogman' (back), excellens x leucophylla (front)

3.jpg

'Scarlet Queen'

4.jpg

Couple of VFTs. The one on the right has distinctive teeth - some are slightly fused.

5.jpg

oreophila x leucophylla (back right), 'Elizabeth' (left)

7.jpg

leucophylla, Perdido AL

8.jpg

Blurry giant green DM08

9.jpg

flava var. maxima, Sussex Co, VA

And not from Mike's, but something that arrived a couple of days before - two minors from Nigel Hewitt-Cooper:

6.jpg

• 2 months later...