Utricularia sp. "Hermanus"

Christian

Hello everyone,

I can not deny that I am not able to recognize the difference between Utriculara sp. "Hermanus" and U. sp. "Kerala". There would be nothing interesting except that the Hermanus is area in Africa, and Kerala in India. It may result only two more questions. The plant occurring on two continents? Or is this plant distributed under different names, because a mess of growers? However, it is beautiful bladderwort, right?

Hi,

i am almost sure, that U. sp. "Kerala" is just a wrong name of that plant. I have seen pictures from Hermanus, that show this plant, so i am confident that it is really from Africa. I don't think, that the same plant occurs and two locations so far away.

Christian

Hi Christian,

the blue/white little Utricularia was first introduced as "sp. Hermanus".

U. "spec Kerala" is a yellow flowered, climbing Utricularia.

There was some confusion made (to my knowledge by a German commercial grower) , who mixed up both species.

And as the subtropical "sp. Hermanus" is more vigorous under our conditions as the tropical ""sp. Kerala", all that came up was the little African plant.

Sorry, but I do not know if those both plants are officially named by now.

Regards

Martin