Heliamphora spec. nov. "Foothill Testigos"

Sockhom

Hello,

I'm about to see the first adult pitcher of this undescribed taxon:

http://carnivorousockhom.blogspot.com/2011...estigos-at.html

I was wondering who grows it here and if any of you had good success with it? It seems - at least by browsing the various fora- that this plant is not so common in cultivation.

Like I said in the link I provided above, I simply grow it like any other Heliamphora.

Cheers,

François.

Edited by Sockhom

Hello,

I'm about to see the first adult pitcher of this undescribed taxon:

http://carnivorousockhom.blogspot.com/2011...estigos-at.html

I was wondering who grows it here and if any of you had good success with it? It seems - at least by browsing the various fora- that this plant is not so common in cultivation.

Like I said in the link I provided above, I simply grow it like any other Heliamphora.

Cheers,

François.

I'm fascinated with the colour difference between this plant and its neighbours in your terrarium. Given the same conditions, is it common for there to be a big difference in colouration between different Heliamphora?

Hi Mobile,

I would not way it is very common. In my growing conditions, most of the plants turn orange red but plants like Heliamphora heterodoxa from Gran Sabana and Heliamphora tatei stay mostly green. I noticed too that the "Foothill Testigos" taxon is very colorful. I hope it does retain this feature as it grows older.

Cheers,

François.

Hey Guys,

For some reason, it won't let me post photos here, so here's a link to some photos of said Heliamphora species I just put up on the ICPS Forum.

http://icps.proboards.com/index.cgi?action...4484&page=1

In regards to various coloration of different species, it plays a definite role in proper species identification, especially 'in situ'. Otherwise, many species tend to look alike when grown in less than optimal conditions. :tu:

Happy Growing,

Brian

This plant may be the fastest growing Heli in my care. Since I received it, it has just kept adding pitchers. Here is the plant in the beginning of Sept:

Hfoothills-plant090710RS.jpg

.... and a closeup on the pitcher:

Hfoothills-pitchercloseup090710RS.jpg

The nectar spoons seems to develop a bit more with each adult pitcher. The one currently in development appears similar to Brians's...

This plant may be the fastest growing Heli in my care. Since I received it, it has just kept adding pitchers. Here is the plant in the beginning of Sept:

Hfoothills-plant090710RS.jpg

.... and a closeup on the pitcher:

Hfoothills-pitchercloseup090710RS.jpg

The nectar spoons seems to develop a bit more with each adult pitcher. The one currently in development appears similar to Brians's...

Nice looking plant, Ron!

It's coming along nicely... :man_in_love:

Happy Growing,

Brian

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Update - fast forward around 7 months from pics above - and it's still growing like a champ. Here's a current pic - notice the cool red hoods and that it's putting out 3 new pitchers at the same time (& the one @ 1 o'clock is just finishing opening. The pitcher at 11 o'clock is the one featured above)...

Hfoothillsplant1043011RS.jpg

.... and a pitcher close-up:

Hfoothillspitcher3-4043011RS.jpg

Edited by RL7836