Some mimosas

Devon.B

I don't have any carnivorous plants worth to post photos of right now so I thought I would share pics of some of my mimosa seedlings...

Trying the crowded look, it's pretty nice so far. I'm curious to know as what will happen as they grow older.

017.JPG

019.JPG

a bit of editing...

023.JPG

plants still growing in peat pellets - they seem to grow much faster in the pellets, rather than being planted directly in potting soil.

013.JPG

another "crowded look" experiment, these are just a little bit farther apart.

024.JPG

This pot should look nice when they're larger.

027.JPG

I might post updates in mid summer or spring.

Thanks for looking! :smile:

Mimosa remind me of my younger days. There was an independent garden centre near my parents house, which I'd visit frequently. They often had Mimosa and they always fascinated me, in fact they are probably one of the plants responsible for getting me interested in the more unusual plants. Thanks for reminding me of my youth :D

Mimosa remind me of my younger days. There was an independent garden centre near my parents house, which I'd visit frequently. They often had Mimosa and they always fascinated me, in fact they are probably one of the plants responsible for getting me interested in the more unusual plants. Thanks for reminding me of my youth :thumright:

haha cool. Mimosas are one of the neatest for sure. :)

I was in Cuba last year and found loads growing in the grass where the sun loungers were in the hotel. It was great seeing them growing naturally, especially as it's one plant that I've never had any success with.

• 2 weeks later...
I was in Cuba last year and found loads growing in the grass where the sun loungers were in the hotel. It was great seeing them growing naturally, especially as it's one plant that I've never had any success with.

Yeah, me too. As a kid, I used to let them dry out too much. :wub:

That's why I took to carnivores: you just keep them permanently overwatered! :biggrin:

I take it we're talking about Mimosa pudica here, the famous 'Sensitive Plant'?

Vic

That's why I took to carnivores: you just keep them permanently overwatered! :wink::tu:

I take it we're talking about Mimosa pudica here, the famous 'Sensitive Plant'?

Vic

Yes Sir Vic II..... They grow like weeds in the Philippines, where I was born, in fact my Dad took me to his job at a construction site when I was but a

wee-lad in the country side and I discovered this tree, true story, that was in fact a "sensitive plant" or what everyone knows as Mimosa. I was in

shock when I touched those leaves and they closed, I would have never thought they grew that big :shock:

My experience with Mimosas:

I sowed five Mimosa pudica seeds february last year. To start with the seedlings were in the terrarium in the same tray as CPs, standing in water (sensitive plants don't seem to mind).

After a while I moved them to a sunny windowsill, and in July I made a

of the plants.

Then I went on vacation, and came home to shrivelled, dead-looking plants (quite sad). I cut down the stems to remove all dead growth, and happily after a week or two new growth started appearing.

Now they look nearly as sad once again. Autumn/winter came, with a mix of short days, cold air from the window and hot dry air from a panel heater. The plants grew longer and longer (the longest was 1m), constantly shedding leaves. A week ago I cut down the plants as much as possible while leaving some leaves on each plant and put them under a 17W white LED spotlight away from the window. New growth has started appearing further down on the stems. Hopefully they'll soon have lots of beautiful feathery leaves once again.

My experience with Mimosas:

Then I went on vacation, and came home to shrivelled, dead-looking plants (quite sad). I cut down the stems to remove all dead growth, and happily after a week or two new growth started appearing.

Now they look nearly as sad once again. A week ago I cut down the plants as much as possible while leaving some leaves on each plant and put them under a 17W white LED spotlight. New growth has started appearing further down on the stems. Hopefully they'll soon have lots of beautiful feathery leaves once again.

Oh, blast! It seems like I threw them out too soon, all those years ago. :shock:

Wish my teens and I could see a M. pudica tree like you, Lord Dex...

Sigh,

Wishing of Letchworth