Sign in to follow this  
Devon.B

BCP seed viability

Hello, I have a question regarding the freshness of BestCarnivorousPlants' seeds. I would like to order mostly Drosera seeds from BCP, but I remember hearing bad things about their seeds before. Has anyone here ordered seeds from them before, and had a good germination rate?

Thanks!

I know their nepenthes seeds are notoriously bad for viability but then nep seeds dont last as long as others. Not sure about their drosera seeds though I'm afraid. Hopefully someone else will be able to advise on that.....

Drosera seeds from BCP are generally OK, you only have to choose wise... I bought some south-american dews' seeds and they germinated quite nicely (felix, roraimae, montana, sessilifolia) with germination rates up to 90% but personally I wouldn't give a go to some of their seeds. What species you're interested in?

Peter

Drosera seeds from BCP are generally OK, you only have to choose wise... I bought some south-american dews' seeds and they germinated quite nicely (felix, roraimae, montana, sessilifolia) with germination rates up to 90% but personally I wouldn't give a go to some of their seeds. What species you're interested in?

Peter

Thanks for the replies.

There is a ton I'm interested in, but I'm trying to limit myself... I'm going to have to pick 7 or so from these, because they are expensive in Canadian dollars

-Aliciae large form

-anglica hawai

-Burmannii beerwah

-capensis compact rosette

-capensis giant

-capensis narrow leaf

-coccicaulis albino

-intermedia grand saban

-spatulata large plants

-venusta RSA

-drosera spec. Botswana

If most of their seeds are ok then the spatulata, capensis, and aliciae must sprout right?

All of these seeds from the shop should germinate without any problems, my friends bought the D.aliciae "large form" seeds, D.anglica {Hawaii}, D.venusta RSA and I germinated the D.intermedia {Gran Sabana} a couple of years ago. Spatulata, capensis and aliciae are weeds and they must germinate if given the right conditions.

Peter