Baby Ceph taking on nice colouration under white LED

mobile

Very nice! :tu:

Can you please tell us some condition like temperatures, lightning hours and moisture? :)

Conditions are somewhat uncontrolled. The plant is on my grow-shelf, which is open to the room. The room humidity and temperature will fluctuate considerably depending on whether the central heating is on or not. The lighting duration is consistent though, being on for 13 hours/day.

I've read frequently that higher light levels means smaller pitchers, but I suspect that it'll be a little while before this one starts producing adult pitcher for me to see.

Higher light levels does definately result in smaller pitchers. Interestingly enough it does not necessarily result in more colourful pitchers. The temperature component seems to be fairly important for colour development. Most of my plants that were very colourful during Autumn and Winter have now faded from deep purple to greenish red, with new pitchers being all green, even though they have more light at this time of year. Plants under cover, but still in good light (in polyhouse), have faded the most, but ones sitiing outside in direct sun have still faded in varying degrees.

One or two plants have kept their colour in the old pitchers. These plants were on a windowsil at work and so got warm by day and cool by night. All new growth is still very green though. Evidently the temperature range is not great enough to stimulate the colour production. I think it is the cold temperatures that kick it off.

• 1 month later...

Here's a quick update. These pictures were taken on 10th January. You'll notice that the Sphagnum moss has gone. It also grew well under the light and was starting to overtake the Cephalotus, so I unpotted and carefully picked the moss away from the roots and then repotted.

SS852527.JPG

SS852530.JPG

SS852532.JPG

SS852535.JPG

Edited by mobile

• 2 weeks later...
It is getting darker than before! It is staying there since three months, and i think that coulb a success! I curious about the future!!! :)

Great work!!!

I'll keep this thread updated... I might need a prod now and again to remind me though :wink:

Very nice colouring! Is it a typical clone?

Sorry, only just noticed this question... it's a "Tank Ceph 2", sibling to 'Eden Black'

Edited by mobile