new forum

rob158

The UK is a small place. Virtually all the UK CP growers are on here - except for a very few who are on the other UK CP Forum.

There isn't really any room (or point) in another UK forum - it will just be the same people, posting the same things as are on here.

But if they want to - that's upto them. But I would put good money on it being even less visited than the other UK forum.

Why, please? What are the attractions? Is it a Scottish-English thing? :smile:

well yes, if you look at the top of the page it says UK carnivorous plant forum but everyone from anywhere are welcome,

Whoever owns it might want to be able to spell a bit better as well...

I second Jim.

where are there spelling errors?

Edited by rob158

Forum updates

What where doing with the forum

:smile: it is we're

OFFERS, other country's

Area for buying, selling and swapping

:nono: it is Countries.

Apostrophe misuse is annoying for me.

Wild life

anything to do with nature

In that context, I would have it all as one word.

Also, call me obsessive, but I just don't like the inconsistent absence and presence of capital letters.

Edited by James O'Neill

It's more hard for robert if he carried on with it and his forum ended up as a flop like all the others have done in the past .

I was referring to the manner in which the 'advice' was given, not to the advice itself.

As to whether a forum succeeds or fails, having an already established forum to which you would be 'competing' against would put any new one at a disadvantage. You would need to be doing something significantly better than the established forum in order to attract a substantial number of its members or new members. You can often do the rounds between the various forums and find the same posts on them, but there are typically some that will receive more posts than others, due to the number of members.

It's more hard for robert if he carried on with it and his forum ended up as a flop like all the others have done in the past .

Not really, if it does flop he hasnt lost much. Theres no huge investment in time setting up one of these off-the-shelf, open source forums.

Edited by mantrid

I don't think we need a new forum rob, but if your keen to start something new how about a CP swap shop it could be different to on here, members could post details of their swap with pics, names and sizes etc of their plant or plants they want to swap and other members could bid on it or offer their plants in exchange, then the guy with the original swap could choose which swap he wanted, or something along those lines.

I know many people will say it is not probably needed as you have your sales and wants on here but a site just for swaps may be useful set out clearly with pictures so you know what your getting and you could leave your swaps running for weeks or months until something is offered you want.

Try not to shoot me down too much for this idea guys!! I'm just thinking of maybe a better alternative for Rob to do.

Rob If you do think of starting this or doing something new next time its probably advisable to do some researching first, and get some feedback on your ideas before you do them.

Edited by mattybadboy44

Not really, if it does flop he hasnt lost much. Theres no huge investment in time setting up one of these off-the-shelf, open source forums.

Yep, phpBB has been around for year and is open source. Really quite easy to set up, though you then have to consider such things as the time required for administration and moderating the forum.

I don't think we need a new forum rob, but if your keen to start something new how about a CP swap shop it could be different to on here, members could post details of their swap with pics, names and sizes etc of their plant or plants they want to swap and other members could bid on it or offer their plants in exchange, then the guy with the original swap could choose which swap he wanted, or something along those lines.

I thought about doing a similar thing, but a bit more general to cover all plants. I was going to use the phpBB forum software linked above. That way someone who has an Orchid for instance could swap it for a Nepenthes etc. The thought of the administration time put me off the idea though.

I know many people will say it is not probably needed as you have your sales and wants on here but a site just for swaps may be useful set out clearly with pictures so you know what your getting and you could leave your swaps running for weeks or months until something is offered you want.

Try not to shoot me down too much for this idea guys!! I'm just thinking of maybe a better alternative for Rob to do.

Rob If you do think of starting this or doing something new next time its probably advisable to do some researching first, and get some feedback on your ideas before you do them.

I think its a good idea. I was thinking along these lines myself. My Idea was to have an ebay type layout where items would be listed that matched your wants and most importantly will only show items from growers who want what you are offering. I was also thinking of allowing users to give a numerical figure to their plants that would correspond to an approx price eg a typical vft could have a value of one while a dentate 2 and a wacky trap 4 etc. You could then see easily if anything you are offering matches value wise the item you want. However, the numerical value would have to be something agreed on by some kind of community vote. Alternatively the person swapping an item can specify exactly what they want for it, the disadvantage to this method would be that there would probably be very few matches.

So mayby something a bit like this?, http://ukcpf.forumotion.co.uk/index.htm,

the species are all listed so you can find the one your looking for but there is also one topic that shows all of the new topics so you can see when something new has been listed,

I just used the old website and changed it a bit,

I think its a good idea. I was thinking along these lines myself. My Idea was to have an ebay type layout where items would be listed that matched your wants and most importantly will only show items from growers who want what you are offering. I was also thinking of allowing users to give a numerical figure to their plants that would correspond to an approx price eg a typical vft could have a value of one while a dentate 2 and a wacky trap 4 etc. You could then see easily if anything you are offering matches value wise the item you want. However, the numerical value would have to be something agreed on by some kind of community vote. Alternatively the person swapping an item can specify exactly what they want for it, the disadvantage to this method would be that there would probably be very few matches.

I'm all for it those ideas sounds good to me, I would maybe be against the idea of people specifying what they want for things as this would limit matches like you said, you could maybe have a preferred list of plants but people can still offer what they want? and you never know someone might offer something you never thought of and you might like it when you see a picture of it. Also you may get a few offers or matches and after a week or two (you may change your mind and wan't rid of your plant or plants asap) choose the best of your matches and be happy with that maybe.

I dunno just an idea.

Edit- I was also thinking the ebay idea mantrid very easy to scroll through and people would find it easy and familiar.

Edited by mattybadboy44

Yep, phpBB has been around for year and is open source. Really quite easy to set up, though you then have to consider such things as the time required for administration and moderating the forum.

I thought about doing a similar thing, but a bit more general to cover all plants. I was going to use the phpBB forum software linked above. That way someone who has an Orchid for instance could swap it for a Nepenthes etc. The thought of the administration time put me off the idea though.

Well maybe if there was a few of us involved it wouldn't be that much of a chore for a few to people to sort out, could be a good idea and if you branch out to other plants like you said you would certainly increase popularity and get more visitors.

Edited by mattybadboy44