D. ascendens x tomentosa var. tomentosa

Hello everybody,

last autumn i tried to cross D. ascendens (hairless scapes) with D. tomentosa var. tomentosa (hairy scapes). So far as i know Christian Dietz has done this crossing some time ago.

The seedlings were very fast growers and now after only one year of growth they are mature (5 plants) and will start to flower soon, the scapes are hairy.

Later i´ll post some pictures of the parents, i have to search for older pictures because in the moment i´m not at home.

P1170894a.jpg

P1170888a.jpg

P1170889a.jpg

P1170898a.jpg

a little bit more greenish

P1180111a.jpg

P1180302a.jpg

P1180311a.jpg

P1180315a.jpg

P1180320a.jpg

I hope you like them. :sarcastic_blum:

Best regards,

Dani

Edited by Daniel O.

Thanks Fernando.

I´m growing a lot of D. ascendens location forms so i´m knowing that D. ascendens seem to be really very variable, perhaps even too variable.

As promised, here are the parents (sorry, a few pictures are older pictures).

D. ascendens "Bandeira Peak" has not hairy scapes at all, if you are only selfing it all "seedlings" are having unhairy scapes as well.

D. ascendens "Bandeira Peak" (the motherplant)

P1060839a.jpg

P1120032a.jpg

P1180454a.jpg

P1180453a.jpg

a little bit younger plants

P1180455a.jpg

D. tomentosa var. tomentosa ´Morro Do Jambeiro, Minas Gerais, Brazil´

P1010846tomentosaMDJ6.jpg

P1010584tomentosMdJ2.jpg

Comparison between D. ascendens "Bandeira Peak" (a the right) and D. ascendens x tomentosa var. tomentosa ´Morro Do Jambeiro, Minas Gerais, Brazil´ (at the left)

P1180438a.jpg

BTW, the flower scapes are extremely high, till now about 30cm and the first fower has not opened till now.

Best regards,

Dani

Wow!

As Fernando said, it really looks like some plants found in the nature, including the strange plants Adilson and I found recently in Grão Mogol... and the plant I found in Diamantina as well (although that one doesn't have hairy scapes - possibly a hybrid with D. t. glabrata)...

Let us know if it produces viable seeds, as well as the shape of the seeds.

All the best,

Paulo

Many thanks to both of you.

Paolo, do you mean these plants?

http://www.forum.clickgratis.com.br/planta...vor/t-7413.html

http://www.forum.clickgratis.com.br/planta...vor/t-7230.html

They are indeed very similar.

Of course i´ll report if the seed will be viable and i´ll take pictures but first i´ll show some pictures of the flowers these days.

Best regards,

Dani

Hello Dani,

Yep, those are the ones. Also, don't miss this link showing pics of similar plants I found several years ago in the Diamantina area:

http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?s...p;hl=diamantina

Best wishes,

Fernando

your hybrid is very intriguing, indeed very similar to the strange plants Fernando, Paulo and I saw in different ocasions in the Wild.

Its likely to occour in Diamantina where D. tomentosa and D. ascendens are simpatric, but we are yet to find D. ascendens in Grão Mogol.

Have you ever tried the hybrid between D. tomentosa var. tomentosa and D. graomogolensis?

Thanx for your photos and efforts in creating these beautifull plants :)

Adilson

Fascinating Plants and congratulate to your new hybrid ~ It is a pleasure seeing your robust plants everytime ~ Thanks for sharing ~

BTW, is their hybrid fertile ?? Sometimes I was told that many drosera hybrid are infertile but I can still obtain seeds from them just like the D. Lantau Island ( spatulata x oblanceolata ) ... It is a bit confusing to me ... Could you kindly explain ??

Sincerely, Avery

Thanks Adilson.

After these 2 species are growing close enough at some places i would really wonder if there would not exist any hybrids between them.

BTW, D. ascendens x schwackei (my first hybrid) is also looking similar in comparison to these plants, perhaps you know already one of my older threads about D. schwackei where i´ve also shown D. ascendens x schwackei. These days i´ll show again some pictures because they are going to flower as well. :ermm:

Till now i´ve tried a lot of crossings, including D. tomentosa var. tomentosa x graomogolensis (waiting for germination) and D. graomogolensis x tomentosa var. tomentosa (the plants are still too small).

I´ve also crosspollinated D. graomogolensis with D. tomentosa var. glabrata, meanwhile these plants really seem to be intermediate (leaf shape) but it´s too early to show any pictures because i´m not totally sure, but for sure D. tomentosa var. tomentosa is a better choice for hybridisation than D. tomentosa var. glabrata because of the hairy scapes.

Another successful crossing till now is D. tomentosa var. tomentosa x D. tomentosa var. glabrata and the reciprocal crossing. Both crossings are producing plants with semi hairy scapes (lower part sligthely hairy, upper part glandular) and the seed of these crossings is fertile.

D. schwackei x tomentosa var. tomentosa has also worked: http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?s...mp;hl=schwackei

Avery, many thanks.

Till now i cannot say if this hybrid will be fertile (the first flowers are opening right now), but why not after the seed of D. ascendens x schwackei, D. tomentosa var. tomentosa x D. tomentosa var. glabrata and D. tomentosa var. glabrata x D. tomentosa var. tomentosa is fertile.

I´ve also very often heard that hybrid seed should not be fertile, i cannot confirm this till now, but what i can say is that after crossing the resulting seed is not germinating always. I´ve tried a lot of crossings that have produced seed in good quantity but there was absolutely no germination after a very long time (for example crossings between south american and african species and others).

Fernando, thanks for this link, i´ve totally forgotten it nethertheless i´ve read it in the past.

Soon i´ll show some flower pictures.

Best regards,

Dani

Hello,

the first flowers opened a few days ago, they are about 1,8cm in diameter. The hairiness is decreasing in the upper part of the scapes but a few hairs are visible.

Here are several views.

P1180532a.jpg

P1180538b.jpg

P1180548a.jpg

P1180595a.jpg

there is some variation in the colour

P1180583a.jpg

P1180561a.jpg

the hole family (the flower colour is a little bit different in comparison to the pictures above because i had to use another lightening method after the flower scapes are too long to take the pictures under my standart lightening, meanwhile about 40cm)

P1180706a.jpg

P1180714a.jpg

What do you think?

Best regards,

Dani

Edited by Daniel O.

Hi Daniel

Yes I saw your post about D. tomentosa X D. schwackeii. The plants are beautifull, still keeping the longer upper tentacles tipical of tomentosa.

I'm glad you did the crossings between D. graomogolensis and both tomentosa forms. I'll (eagerly) be looking forward to see the adult outcome.

Have you ever tried D. tomentosa var. glabrata X. D. villosa?

Many thanks Aymeric and François.

Adilson, for sure i´ll show pictures of the hybrids between D. graomogolensis and the both D. tomentosa forms in future.

For my sadness my D. villosa plants i´m growing have not flowered till now nethertheless the biggest has a diameter of more than 20cm and it already formed a stem, i don´t know why it has not flowered till now, it´s really strange.

A crossing between D. tomentosa var. glabrata and D. villosa, do you think that this hybrid could exist in nature as well?

Perhaps such a hybrid would be similar to D. spec. ´Bahia´.

These days 2 plants of my D. grantsaui will flower so perhaps i´ll try some new crossings.

Best regards,

Dani

Edited by Daniel O.

Thanks Carlos and Adam.

Adam, of course i´ll not forget to take any pictures of D. grantsaui, i really hope to be at home when the flowers will open.

Christian, i do remember your picture, really nice plant. Hopefully these plants will produce some seed thanks to hand made pollination.

For example my D. ascendens x schwackei from last year have only produced seed if i´ve pollinated them by hand, otherwise there has not been any seed at all.

Meanwhile the flower scapes have reached a length of about 45-50cm, really long scapes.

For sure it will last a few more weeks untill the first seed capsule will have dried out completely but than i´ll report if there is any seed.

Best regards,

Dani

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

a small update, a few days ago i was able to collect the first seed, the plants are producing seed only if the flowers are pollinated by hand.

To me the seed looks somehow intermediate (especially in the size) but you can decide for your own, the first few pictures are 200-times magnified, the last ones 50-times. I´m really sorry for the quality of some of the pictures but at home i do not have a better equipment.

First the parents (200-times magnified):

D. ascendens "Bandeira Peak"

ascendens-1.jpg

D. tomentosa var. tomentosa ´Morro do Jambeiro, Minas Gerais, Brazil´

tomentosa.jpg

ascendensxtomentosa.jpg

all together, D. tomentosa var. tomentosa at the left, D. ascendens at the right and the hybrid between both of them in the middle

allezusammen.jpg

50-times magnified

D. ascendens "Bandeira Peak"

ascendens2.jpg

D. tomentosa var. tomentosa ´Morro do Jambeiro, Minas Gerais, Brazil´

tomentosa2.jpg

ascendensxtomentosa2.jpg

and again all together, D. tomentosa var. tomentosa at the right, D. ascendens at the left and the hybrid between both of them in the middle

allezusammen2.jpg

Best regards,

Dani

Thanks Carlos.

I saved your pictures here

No problem, have you or somebody else ever seen seed of these "hairy" D. ascendens Adilson, Fernando and Paulo have been talking about?

These plants are producing a relatively huge number of seed, one week ago i´ve sown out a small part of it. Hopefully it will germinate.

Best regards,

Dani

Thanks Carlos.

No problem, have you or somebody else ever seen seed of these "hairy" D. ascendens Adilson, Fernando and Paulo have been talking about?

These plants are producing a relatively huge number of seed, one week ago i´ve sown out a small part of it. Hopefully it will germinate.

Best regards,

Dani

I will send a e-mail message.

• 4 weeks later...