Utricularia praelonga

Christian

Hi,

I'm growing Utricularia praelonga for 3 years now, but it has never flowered! Does anyone grow this plant as well and more interesting has it flowered ? I grow mine in the greenhouse during summer. I use the tray method. The pots are standing in let say about 2cm. of water. In Winter i place them on a coll windowsill. The temperature there is about 10°C. The plants are really growing well and have filled up the pot, but have not yet flowered.

Any help is much appreciated.

best wishes

Christian

P.S. : Ca´n any of the moderators please delete the other thread. I forgot to log in!

Hi Christian,

U. praelonga flowers OK for me. I had some in pure Sphagnum in an undrained ice-cream tub; it did fine until leatherjackets (Tipula larvae) ate all the stolons - they quite like to live in Sphagnum. I have more growing in a pot, I think with a peat/sand mix, which stands in a water tray in the greenhouse all year round. The leaves are a little sparse - it's probably potbound, but it flowered this year.

Giles

Hi Christian,

I row U. praelonga and it flowers profusely every year! It is one of those plants that will not flower very well if disturbed. My plant has been in the same 5 1/2 inch half pot now for about 6 years. It looks so cramped that you wouldn't even think there was room for a single bladder in the pot! I grow it in pure sphagnum moss in full sunlight in my greenhouse. During the winter it is overwintered in my spare bedroom at a temp of about 6-7*c. Every year during early summer it starts to form hundreds of flower stems. In my plant they become top heavy and fall over so I get a fantastic dispaly of bright yellow flowers flowing all over my staging!

Hi Christian

I grow mine in a seed tray in full sun in a peat/perlite mix with a thick layer of sphagnum moss and it flower`s very well although the flower stem`s tend to be a bit floppy , it`s kept at 10*c in the winter .

I also tried a division of this plant in my unheated polytunnel a few year`s ago and although it`s been frozen solid on occasion`s during the last two or three winter`s it has slowly got bigger and finally this summer flowered for the first time and i found the flower spike`s were much stronger and didn`t flop at all so maybe we have been to kind to this species.

Steve

I've grown it in the same pot for 15 years, but it didn't flower until it was pot bound and subjected to cold. It's in a greenhouse that is barely frost free in winter & I've finally re-potted it into fresh soil. It also sets seed easily & the seedlings have appeared in other pots. :)

Hi,

Thanks for your answers! It seems, as if i keep it still to warm in Winter. I will try to keep it along with my Sarracenia at Winter (1°C - 5°C). Maybe this will help. In the last two years i havn't repotted the plant, so the pot is completely filled up.

Thanks,

Christian