What moss is this?

Im not a moss expert, but I love mosses...This moss appears to be the common moss called Polytrichum commune..That's my best guess, but I could be wrong.

mosses are not very easy, you often need a leaf and a good hand lens, if not a microscope.

do you have an idea what it is?

Thanks for the insight. I've recently received some cephs, on which this moss is growing and just wondering if I should rather replace it with live Sphagnum? I wonder how it comes to be growing along with so many cephs, naturally or cultivated...

you have 2, if not 3 different species in that photo. None of them look like Polytrichum commune to me, that is a very large growing, coarse species.

Mosses like these are common in colections and do no harm. I prefer smaller growing species like these to Sphagnum as they do not swamp the plant and allows the crowns to remain dry(ish)

Thanks for the insight. I've recently received some cephs, on which this moss is growing and just wondering if I should rather replace it with live Sphagnum? I wonder how it comes to be growing along with so many cephs, naturally or cultivated...

Where you have damp soil after a while you will get moss. The spores are ubiquitous.

I can confidently say that is not polytricum. That genus is beautiful and a lot bigger. THis is a pest for me...sheet moss is what it is commonly called I think. this is polytricum

100998572.v6PkZ66e.jpg