Sign in to follow this  
MFS

CP sightseeing in NE Tasmania - Picture intensive

We have known for many years (apparently even before you showed Robert the Kuipto form) that D. peltata var. foliosa, D. foliosa, or whatever anyone may like to call it had been named with Tasmanian plants as the type specimens countless years ago.

As far as I know Drosera foliosa was described in the 19th century from a collection made by Ronald Campbell Gunn in the 'Formosa' property near Cressy, Tasmania. It still occurs there, and is identical to the plants I photographed. It was subsequently demoted to a variety of D. peltata, and finally made a simple synonym (i.e. no difference) of D. peltata by Marchant his Flora of Australia. Since that is the last major authoritative work, that classification is what most taxonomists follow today, till somebody again can make a case that it is sufficiently different to be considered a species on its own.

Interestingly the Tasmanian Herbarium and the Australian Plant Name Index are once again using Drosera peltata and Drosera gracilis as full species in their own right.

Miguel.

Great report Miguel. Very informative.

I'm looking forward to read the result of all that research.

Fran├žois.

A few more pictures of the Drosera from Conara, in the Tasmanian midlands:

Drosera peltata, orange-yellow form, growing by the roadside.

Fossicking_TN__Oct_24_16.jpg

Drosera peltata, green form, a couple of meters away growing in the same conditions.

Fossicking_TN__Oct_24_17.jpg

Drosera peltata, green and orange-red forms in grass by the roadside.

Fossicking_TN__Oct_24_21.jpg

Drosera foliosa from the same location.

Fossicking_TN__Oct_24_19.jpg

Drosera foliosa flower, from the same location.

Fossicking_TN__Oct_24_23.jpg

Some Twining Fringe-Lily (Thysanotus patersonii) grows around the place.

Fossicking_TN__Oct_24_09.jpg

I don't think we are at any disagreement regarding Drosera foliosa as a plant that produces a large yellow green basal rosette with a shorter than usual erect stem per se.

"I" Don't-'Think' We-R at-Any Disagreemnet Regarding Drosera-foliosa as-R-Plant that-Produces A-Large Yellow-Green Basal-Rosette with-R Shorter-than-Usual Erect-Stem, Per-se.

Though one would have to think that Robert's thesis, specifically targeted at the Drosera peltata / Drosera auriculata Complex, is now the aut5horative work in this area of specificity and expertise!?

Though One-Would Have-to-'Think' that Robert's-Thesis, Specifically-Target-ted at The Drosera-peltata / Auriculata Complex, is-Now ... or-IS likely to-Become, The-Authorative-Work in-This Area of Specificity-&-Expertise, for Sometime to-Come!!!??? >(*U^)<

Thanks Richard for providing us with a key to translate your sagely musings... a 'Rosetta Stone', so-to-speak. :biggrin:

Some people can do mamazing things with a rosetta stone! Mozart only left behind a constructive dice game.

Some-'People' Can-Do AMAZING-Things with-R-Rosetta-Stone!!! >(*U^)< MOZART Only-Left-Behind R-'Construct-R-tive' Dice-Game.

Though one would have to think that Robert's thesis, specifically targeted at the Drosera peltata / Drosera auriculata Complex, is now the aut5horative work in this area of specificity and expertise!?

Will be is probably more accurate.

Sounds like not even a precise of Robert's thesis has filtered through to the pages of CPN.

'Sounds'-like ... NOT-even R-Precise of-Robert's-THESIS 'Has'-Filtered-through to-The-Pages of CPN?

Is this a fault of his institution or just CPN's slow planetary gearing system!?

Is-'This' R-Fault-of His-Institution or-Just CPN's Slow-'Planetary'-Gearing-System!!!???

Perhaps one ought to contact Robert for a precise of his work for CPUK?

Perhaps-One Ought to-Contact Robert for-R-'Precise' of-His-Work for CPUK???