How do you encourage N. ampullaria to produce basals?

mobile

If you've got an ampullaria which is already vining but not producing too many basals, you can try chopping off the main vine(assuming you have at least one basal), it worked for me. At the same time, while rooting sections of the main vine, basals(is that the right term in this case?) started sprouting all over rooting sections.

How old is the plant? Is it vining? If you have a vine, an old trick is to let the vine drop below the level of the pot, and this can sometimes trigger a new basal rosette. And the obvious question is how old is the plant? Many of the impressive plants we see in images from around the world are actually a few years old. My most impressive plants are definitely the oldest ones. Neps can take a bit of time to do what we want them to. I heard once of ampullarias being grown in laundry baskets they were so big. (OK, it was in the far East) On enquiry, I was told they were about 15+ years old. Hope this helps.

This is my N.ampullaria. I'v been growing it for about 2 years (i think) but it must be quite lot older.

It started to produce basals a year ago i think, don't know why really. But it was quite long, and grown under 2*34 W tubes.

First three pictres are quite old, I had to empty the tank to move it, so now I have all the plants in pots instead, and I had to trim the ampullaria because it was to long for the tank :JC_cupidgirl:

RIMG0010.jpg

RIMG0015-2.jpg

RIMG0016.jpg

This is the way it looks now. I made several cuttings from the stem, will see what kind of pitchers they will make :wacko1:

DSC05429.jpg

DSC05428.jpg

/Alfred

Edited by Gubbtjuven

Very nice looking ampullaria Gubbtjuven... exactly what I am hoping to achieve.

How old is the plant? Is it vining?

I've had the plant for a couple of years but it has really not grown well at all for me. I have now changed the conditions but in the new 'terrarium' it will not be able to produce a tall vine, as there is not sufficient height to do so. What I was hoping to do is keep it low growing, preferably producing basal pitchers.

Another reason for the basals might be that I was having a very high humidity, the plant always stood in water perhaps 8 cm from the plant itself.

Just an idea.

I have read that they like being wet.

I've seen quote a few pictures on the internet of N. ampullaria consisting of primarily basal pitchers and very little stem or leaf, such as THIS one. How is this done?

That is a trick photo. It shows a basal rosette that has just finished rooting and is starting to vine. Most of those pitchers will drop and about 16 months later the stem might be long enough for basal rosette to start developing.

• 2 months later...
My recently acquired 'Harlequin' is about 15cm tall and has just produced a basal. I put it down to strong light and wet roots.

Totally agree, some amps i've moved into less well lit places the basals have aborted. Bright light seems to encourage them. Seen it on other species but its very obvious on amps.