ceph cuttings

mattynatureboy44

Hi,

Just after some advice really I have recently aquired a few of the ceph clones and they are very small themselves I was wandering weather or not to take some cuttings of the leafs or pitchers so I have a back up if anything happens to them the only thing that is stopping me is the fact that these are so small and themselves probably recently grown on cuttings, shall I wait for more growth or is it ok to take some very small cuttings.

I have had success with larger cuttings of a typical Ceph but Does it matter what size the cutting is when taking ceph cuttings.

any advice appreciated.

Hi,

Just after some advice really I have recently aquired a few of the ceph clones and they are very small themselves I was wandering weather or not to take some cuttings of the leafs or pitchers so I have a back up if anything happens to them the only thing that is stopping me is the fact that these are so small and themselves probably recently grown on cuttings, shall I wait for more growth or is it ok to take some very small cuttings.

I have had success with larger cuttings of a typical Ceph but Does it matter what size the cutting is when taking ceph cuttings.

any advice appreciated.

Were your plants shipped potted or bare root? If the latter taking pulling from the leave might just stress your little plants further and cutting from stressed plant would not strike well.

Which clone did you acquire?

Were your plants shipped potted or bare root? If the latter taking pulling from the leave might just stress your little plants further and cutting from stressed plant would not strike well.

Which clone did you acquire?

They were sent potted Dudley watts, hummers giant and german giant clone

Edited by mattybadboy44

I wouldn't take any cuttings until the plants have settled in and are actively growing. Its a great idea to propagate for backup, but not at the risk of the parent plant.

Cheers twigs,

Yeah thats what I thought and why I haven't done so already ill wait until I get some new growth through before I do my cuttings, I take it it does not matter what size the leaf or pitcher is as long as its healthy and new?

Edited by mattybadboy44

Matty - I'd wait a while until the plants settle in properly....as they're quite small you risk damaging the main plant if trying to pull bits off. I find bigger leaves and ptichers tend to produce bigger plants and tend to work better, hiwever I've also had good results from smaller leaves but they tend to produce smaller plants, dont think I've oulled any off plants that small though. As its coming to the end of the season it might be best to wait until spring anyway unless growing under lights. With a bit of luck you might get more leaves over winter........

Matty - I'd wait a while until the plants settle in properly....as they're quite small you risk damaging the main plant if trying to pull bits off. I find bigger leaves and ptichers tend to produce bigger plants and tend to work better, hiwever I've also had good results from smaller leaves but they tend to produce smaller plants, dont think I've oulled any off plants that small though. As its coming to the end of the season it might be best to wait until spring anyway unless growing under lights. With a bit of luck you might get more leaves over winter........

Yes Heather, the Winter. If our Winter isn't as harsh as last year and we get some of that nice Winter sunlight,our Cephs will keep growing, albeit slowly.

I tend not to keep mine too cold - some are in the conservatory, those tend to slow right down, some I keep on wamer windowsills, some under lights....I've always get some growing somewhere - I darent leave them out in the greenhouse! I know one grower who lost most of his collection last year in an unheated greenhouse.

Fingers crossed for a milder winter! Main point was unless under lights I dont think cuttings will do much over winter anyway so prob easier to wait.

Yes Heather, the Winter. If our Winter isn't as harsh as last year and we get some of that nice Winter sunlight,our Cephs will keep growing, albeit slowly.

I heard a rumour its going to be as bad if not worse than last year but you know how rumours start so lets hope not thou hey.

The people who predicted last years winter say this year will be just as bad..

Alot of fog in december, heavy heavy snows in january all over britain.

Standard fare for winters here in Aberdeenshire :rolleyes: