Sign in to follow this  
publicizer

my Seedling is Flowering?

Yep, that looks like a flower stalk. Having a seedling flower does happen from time to time, but it's pretty rare.

If that is a flower stalk, and If I were you, I would clip it off....I noticed with my VFTs, that even if they are robust and very healthy, flowering really makes them weak....and mine are adult, It may kill that little one you have, after it flowers....Just a suggestion though......ultimately, its up to you....

DexFC

Edited by dchasselblad74

it's happens to me last years...

i also know another french growers that have this.

auto pollinated give neotenic pygmy sometimes.

I see nothing wrong with letting healthy vfts flower, however my pygmy vfts take quite some time to recover when producing flower stalks so it may be better to cut the stalk off for this vft, espcially as its nearing dormancy time. Perhaps its a strange occurance and it has flowered as a seedling, perhaps it will remain as a small vft - time will tell :)

Hello,

this year, i have a lot of these Pygmys, about 20. That are the seedlings from last year. I have pollinated two of them and got one seed. So now, i´m very tense about the new seedling plant.

Here you can see some pics:

gallery_5003_302_25987.jpg

gallery_5003_302_6305.jpg

gallery_5003_302_9356.jpg

gallery_5003_302_38276.jpg

Best regards

Matze

Hi Heather and Matze,

i sown this seed in the last days of july.

this plant have only 2 months, and already produce flower!?

is not adult pigmy vft.

i grow it in terrarium, the season is not a problem.

it one neotenic, it's happens when plant is self pollinated, i have one little like yours but have look of red sawtooth.

if your plant have good look, it can flroing, if you see it have bad look cut it, it takes lot of energy.

It doesnt look good to me.If the flower stalk is blackening before opening then something is very wrong.Such a small plant could never substain a flower-and then to go on to produce viable seed-surely!

It doesnt look like it will flower now if the tip has gone black, I'd simply cut it off. Perhaps it didnt quite have enough energy for the flower to form properly?

Great pics Matze, I havent let any flower yet fully or try to pollinate. Can the pygmies be self pollinated like normal dionaea? I find they take so much energy just to produce the flower stalks!! It really slows their grow badly for me, I'm sure different clones will behave different though, do you find some clones more vigorous and able to withstand flowereing and produce seed more easily?

Hi Heather,

yesterday i have sown two seeds, which i got when i´ve pollinated two pygmys, now i´m very taut about the seedlings. I saw one of the motherplant is dividing herself into 3 plants now (after the flower).

So i think, that the pygmys are very interesting clones.

Best regards

Matze

I have had some vft like that some years ago, they were the same size and were producing many flower stalk, I was thinking it was neonetic vft but now it have typical size vft.

thank you guillaume for report your experience.

now the plant start growing some leaf from above.

i hope in something special...but i think that i've already see something special :negative:

Edited by publicizer