Ampullaria in the widowsill

Kevan

My red Ampullaria is getting too big for the tank. I wondered how well it would cope with being in the kitchen windowsill. Gets a bit of sun, but not much. Probably no lower than 12 deg C in winter.

At present I have 3 ant ferns growing very well on the adjacent sill.

Kevan

Put in baggie while in windowsill, then slowly open up baggie every week until its completely open, then slowly put baggie down until your Ampullaria completely adapts to your windowsill....Spraying water twice or three ti

mes a day of course.....

DexFC

Yes 20 is a bare minimum and besides they really do not take kindly to lower humdity - (basal rosettes are much less susceptible as the leaf surface is greatly reduced as compared to a normal leaf). I assume you are unable to prune?

My red Ampullaria is getting too big for the tank. I wondered how well it would cope with being in the kitchen windowsill. Gets a bit of sun, but not much. Probably no lower than 12 deg C in winter.

At present I have 3 ant ferns growing very well on the adjacent sill.

Kevan

It might work, i used to grow them in a conservatory over winter, but they need good light, preferably as much sun as you can give it over winter, alternatively under a grow light. It may be touch and go, so you'll have to keep a good watch on it. Some clones seem hardier than others.

Thanks for the advice guys.

This plant lacks a basal rossette, but I could try to prine I guess. Alternative is to buy a larger tank, which I probably will need to do next year when I retire and can't keep them in the office!

The room in which it is kept gets below 20C, down to 16 C.

Kevan

Yes 20 is a bare minimum and besides they really do not take kindly to lower humdity - (basal rosettes are much less susceptible as the leaf surface is greatly reduced as compared to a normal leaf). I assume you are unable to prune?

I have an ampullaria that sits on my growshelf... doing nothing. It doesn't grow, just survives. It probably gets enough light but the humidity and temperature are too low, being the same as the room. It used to be in a terrarium, until it got too large for it, then I had to move it to the growshelf, where its leaves shrivelled in front of my eyes... so I suspect moving yours to a windowsill will do the same.

Edited by mobile

Thanks for the advice guys.

This plant lacks a basal rossette, but I could try to prine I guess. Alternative is to buy a larger tank, which I probably will need to do next year when I retire and can't keep them in the office!

The room in which it is kept gets below 20C, down to 16 C.

Kevan

Kevan,

If it hasn't grown a basal rosette in the last few years it might be the light levels are too low, pruning may just encourage another climbing stem to sprout. I also kept them in an unheated conservatory with night times normally below 15C, but daytimes were usually hotter and the hot daytimes allow them to grow, that's why I suggested a growlight as they do give off some warmth in the daytime, and also encourage basal rosettes. That said, ampullarias are fast growers in the right conditions and kept at 24c+ and 90% humidity they will grow like crazy. I was really quite surprised talking to one grower in Bangkok who said his cuttings root in around 1 week, some idea of how fast they should be growing...

Edited by manders