How do you stop terrarium glass from misting?

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to stop terrarium glass from misting, without using a fan? I have a small terrarium (read glass vase) in which I grow a CP. It would not be practical or desirable to add a fan so I am looking for an alternative. I did think about using windscreen de-mist chemicals but I don't know if these are stable when dry or whether there would be any plant harmful run-off or indeed if they would work.

With my terrarium, I noticed that during the day when sun is shining through it, the temp rises and the mist disappears. At night when the ambient room temp drops cooler, the temp inside the terrarium is still warm, this is the conditions for mist on the glass in the terrarium and I can't see my plants. To clear it up, I open the top up for temp to equalize then mist disappear....I personally would'nt suggest using chemicals to get rid of mist, cause it might harm plants... Try opening your terrarium for air to get in a little and see if it works..The key is for room and terrarium temp to be even...

DexFC

The only way is if you warm up the glass, because if you have the h-x diagram of the humid air you could see that at 28*C temperature and 80% humidity in the terrarium, if the glass temperature is 23.5*C or less it will surely be foggy. That's why I told you the only way is if you warm it up. The other way is if the terrarium itself is made out of double layer glass with air between the layers (like the modern windows).

Best regards

Eng. M. Cvetkov

• Like 1

if water from the glass cant reach your plants, use soap. wipe normal soap, of shampoo mixed with water on the glass with a cloth, and after that wipe it off with another cloth. the soap-treated glass will not fog up anymore for a long time.

dont ask me how and why it works though... just try it out with a bathroom mirror

Edited by Tha_Reaper

if water from the glass cant reach your plants, use soap. wipe normal soap, of shampoo mixed with water on the glass with a cloth, and after that wipe it off with another cloth. the soap-treated glass will not fog up anymore for a long time.

This is intresting....I have to try this in the bathroom mirror...I think the soap either increases or decreases the surface tension, to prevent droplets from forming....But wouldnt the soap harm the plants from contamination....

DexFC

• 2 weeks later...

I think that cutting a small potato in half and wiping the glass with the cut end might work and is a plant friendly method.

Another thought is to visit a car accessories shop and get something called Rain X or a similar product. This will cause the fogging to bead up into large droplets that will stream down the glass leaving it reasonably clear.

Another thought is to visit a car accessories shop and get something called Rain X or a similar product. This will cause the fogging to bead up into large droplets that will stream down the glass leaving it reasonably clear.

I have some Rain-X for the car and I had considered using it on the terraium... but I wasn't sure if there would be any potentially harmful run-off.

Clear wax like the kind surfers use should work well, its water proof so should not have run off (as long as temps are reasonable and its non-toxic.

Edit: Let us know what you use and how well (or not) it works...

Edited by Macro

• 7 years later...

Key to keep away from misting/clouding is to keep the terrarium and room temperature even. You might need to expand the room temperature or you should keep your terrarium some place warm. I don't suggest utilization of any chemicals. Generally keeping the terrarium open is the main choice.

Bailey
Blogger at Simple Toilet