Question about Drosophyllum flowering

linton

Spring has finally arrived and a quick check of the greenhouse today revealed that my 1 year old Drosophyllum is developing flower buds.

My questions to fellow growers are - How long does it usually take for these buds to grow up out of the crown of the plant and develop into flowers? What length of time are the flowers open for?? If pollination is successful, how long does seed take to develop???

Thanks for any replies.

Hello,

i grow Drosophyllum since 2006. Now 15 plants from 2008 and 10 plants from 2009 grow in my greenhouse. At current time new seeds are disseminate.

In 2007 the buds developed in 25 days to flowers. They are open for one day. For more seeds it is favorably to pollinate them.

The seeds need 8 weeks to mature at least. Then the parchment-seed-capsules burst open. After the seed-maturation Drosophyllum is very delicate an would be become very dry.

regards

Frank

Spring has finally arrived and a quick check of the greenhouse today revealed that my 1 year old Drosophyllum is developing flower buds.

My questions to fellow growers are - How long does it usually take for these buds to grow up out of the crown of the plant and develop into flowers? What length of time are the flowers open for?? If pollination is successful, how long does seed take to develop???

Thanks for any replies.

Edited by fffkkk

I've grown drosophyllums for many years, but have to admit I have no idea how long it takes from first flowers buds to flowering or to seeds ripening, guess I've never given it much thought.

Frank is right though if you want seeds they will usually self pollinate easily enough but to ensure maximum numbers of seeds you need to be active with a paint brush between flowers if two or more are open or self pollinate them. And yes the flowers are only open for a day.