Seramis + Vermiculite in Drosera soil mixes?

AdamH

Hi,

Has anyone ever used either Seramis (clay granules) or Vermiculite in any Drosera substrate mixes? I'm especially interested in experiences with Seramis, as I suspect that with Vermiculite, being a mineral, it may not be suitable for Sundews. I already use both Seramis and Vermiculite as a component of Pinguicula mix (2 parts Seramis, 2 parts Vermiculite, 2 parts Perlite, 1 part John Innes No. 2 [loam-based potting compost]) with good results, but my main concern with Drosera is that any components don't increase the pH of the mix or "leach" any unwanted chemicals / minerals etc into the mix. I'm hoping to try Seramis at least with some Australian species, e.g. Drosera petiolaris-complex plants, also maybe pygmies and tuberous species in the future, as many of these apparently occur in well-drained partially clay soild in nature. Any comments / experiences? Thanks.

Hi,

Thanks - I notice that the pH of Vermiculite in water is 6 to 9, so best to give that a miss I guess! (I wouldn't use anything with a pH > 7 for Sundews). Save it for Pings. I thought that Vermiculite wouldn't be ideal for Drosera, and was more interested in Seramis anyway. I found a comment on a Cypripedium forum about Seramis (it is often used as part of a mix for hardy orchids) suggesting it has a neutral pH: see - http://www.cypripedium.de/forum/messages/1024.html.

So it should be ok pH-wise for Sundews. I'm still interested if anyone else has actually had any experience of using it with Drosera.