EEE 2011 . Chester Zoo

Tim Bailey

As I said, it was a great weekend. Nice to meet people 'in the flesh' that I have chatted with for ages - sorry to those who I kept forgetting or now have again :oops: remind me next time we meet.

I'm sure others will post loads of pic's from the actual EEE, so I took pic's of the zoo. Just a shame I never got to see more of it at leasure, rather than just a mad dash around a few bits on a few occassions. I never even got to see the dinosaur exhibit - I was almost at the entrance, when the 'islands in peril' (or something like that) pulled me in. They have a huge comodo dragon and one of her babies (which is also huge) - they were a surprise to the zoo, as she has never been with a male, so she is both mum & dad !!

The animals all had plenty of room (that I saw) and the zoo seems to be involved with several consevation projects around the world. Also a load of plants to see - both in displays in Houses and around the grounds.

Sorry some pic's aren't as clear as I'd like - I was at full stretch for some to get right upto the mesh (so not steady) and others are behind glass and got reflection. They are my excusses and I'm sticking to them.

639016a.jpg

555016b.jpg

210015a.jpg

130015b.jpg

452024a.jpg

258023a.jpg

402026a.jpg

717029a.jpg

746031a.jpg

102030a.jpg

804033a.jpg

506032a.jpg

348035a.jpg

564036a.jpg

879037a.jpg

782051a.jpg

710052a.jpg

Very fine event - really nice place, Chester Zoo. Nice cp exhibit and some new cultivation techniques on display.

we had lots of fun, spoke to many fine people and admired all the plants.

till next time !

Iwein

Hi to all,

after a long journey home (24 hours in car) i can write some words...

It was a very fantastic weekend, a very good exhibition, with lot of really good looking plants! And wonderful plants to sell ( i got some new...)

And a very big THANKS to all, who organized this event!

The place was very good, and the zoo is very nice, above all, the animals have a lot of space and can hide if they want.

At last, i have to say, the meal can go in a better way, the next time...

Bet regards

Matze

Like many before me, I just want to add my thanks to everyone involved with the event.

Only planned to buy maybe one or two plants.....ended up with 18 !!! In a previous life, was Mike (King) ever a second-hand car salesman ?

My only gripe over the weekend - and this is a personal thing to me - nothing to do with the event itself, was the little tab that appeared on screen during the lectures (- told you it was personal!!). I work in school(s) where I get dozens of requests from teachers asking to get rid of that little tab because it's in their way.

So for 2 days I sat watching Rob Cantley, Mike King etc etc with this little side tab BURNING holes in my eyes ! just wanting to right-click and hide it !

(Not going to mention Friday - the day before EEE, and the school trip I went on.......to Chester Zoo !!!!)

• Like 2

It was a great venue, with the zoo offering plenty of entertainment for my wife and kids whilst I was at EEE. Unfortunately I didn't get to meet many members, as I was only there on the Sunday but I got to chat to a few including a good chat with Phil. Got to chat to James too and my wife fell in love with his U. reniformis picture, which we bought. Gert (Araflora (Extreme Plants)) was really friendly and chatty. He was great with kids too, explaining the plants and even gave my kids a free Mimosa pudica with the plants they bought. I went away quite light handed (deliberately, as I had already decided not to get much) but I have obtained a beautiful Heliamphora spec. Bonnetia forest from Gert. A great day, thanks to the efforts of those who organised it and manned the stalls.

p.s. Tim, how many takes did the Nepenthes filming take? :smile:

3 takes, before I spluttered something out that made sense - well to me anyway. They were after the rat scoop in particular. I told them Neps are not specifically designed to catch rodents, perhaps with the exception of N. truncata having just read the Portuguese cp journal, and that they rarely do. However, I expect them to miss the qualifying bits out and make it sound as if they chase rodents and devour them with relish!!! Filming all day Friday again with them and visiting Alistair's nursery.

Program is for 12-13 year olds, and big kids of course, and is part of a series called 'Squeamish.' Will go out in America first on the Discovery Channel in the autumn before turning up on our shores.

This was a fantastic scoop for the CPS and the promotion of cps, on the back of an excellent media campaign with the Zoo - the event got into the Metro and loads of other places and attracted the attention of Talkback Thames TV.

I would like to say a massive thank you to all the amazing people who helped out, and that same message goes out to the traders too. The quality of the plants on sale and displayed were simply fantastic.

The best part of this hobby to me, as well as the plants, is keeping up old friendships and building many new ones. I did that in droves, when not rushing around.

Love the pictures posted everybody!

Off to do some more sleeping!!!

Tim

Hi all,

many thanks from me to everyone involved in the EEE too. It was a great weekend and i really enjoyed it. The Zoo is really great and i liked it very much. It's always a pleasure to meet and to talk to people i know for quite some time from the forums. To me, that's the most important part of meetings like this. Having said this i came back home with lots of new impressions, cultivation experiences and also met some new people i never met before. Thanks for the belgian guys for a nice evening on sunday ;)

I have taken lots of pics, most of the animals in the Zoo and the Town of Chester. Here are a few of them.

IMG_4883.jpg

IMG_4889.jpg

IMG_4892.jpg

IMG_4898.JPG

IMG_4961.JPG

IMG_4990.JPG

IMG_5037.JPG

IMG_5096.JPG

IMG_5182.JPG

IMG_5239.JPG

IMG_5250.JPG

IMG_5322.JPG

IMG_5340.JPG

IMG_5452.JPG

IMG_5472.JPG

IMG_5483.JPG

More pictures can be found here: http://www.utricularia.net/sonstiges/EEE2011/index.php

Has anyone managed to go home without any new plants at all or am i the only one? ;)

Christian

Edited by Christian

Thanks for capturing me in your 4th photo John, looking over my right hand side to make sure I was in no one’s shot and somehow missing you completely.

Cheers

Alex.

Christian, Fantastic photos loved them all, they should all be in a " Visit Chester Now Guide "

This is open to anyone who went

Was the EEE show only those outside stalls/tents, wasn't there a big marquee!

How many people did go, how busy was it!

Where the plant prices cheaper or the same as we would normally pay!

And does anyone have a timemachine i can use!

Had a great time at the event, spent far too much money. Thanks to Gert and Kernow Carnivores for the growing advice etc, and for the lovely plants. However, very disappointed to note that several nurseries that were apparently attending were not there. The flyer should have been updated accordingly on the web to reflect this. Also hoped to see more books for sale, but on the whole we really enjoyed it and spent the whole weekend there.

this is just to say a big thankyou from me to all you guys(and gals) that organised this event here at the zoo,the best part for me was meetimg as many of you as possible that came,i have loads of email addresses in my back pocket and hope to be keeping in touch with you all.because i work here it was a learning curve for me to be involved my end for this event,i can honestly say it made a nice change to meet some normal down to earth people,actual growers,people who day to day grow plants,people who all have common problems with pests,growing mediums etc etc.the weather was brilliant,the crowds turned up and apart from the boat meal i hope everybody enjoyed themselves!!!ps if any of you are passing by in the future,you know where i am in the greenhouses,just give me a shout,if im not busy i will be glad to give you a tour behind the scenes,all the best...paul.

this is just to say a big thankyou from me to all you guys(and gals) that organised this event here at the zoo,the best part for me was meetimg as many of you as possible that came,i have loads of email addresses in my back pocket and hope to be keeping in touch with you all.because i work here it was a learning curve for me to be involved my end for this event,i can honestly say it made a nice change to meet some normal down to earth people,actual growers,people who day to day grow plants,people who all have common problems with pests,growing mediums etc etc.the weather was brilliant,the crowds turned up and apart from the boat meal i hope everybody enjoyed themselves!!!ps if any of you are passing by in the future,you know where i am in the greenhouses,just give me a shout,if im not busy i will be glad to give you a tour behind the scenes,all the best...paul.

Does this mean that I can get you to host an open day next year? :thumbsup: The more open days we can get on the calendar, the better!

Regards Dianne Riddiford

CPS Meetings Organiser

Hi to all,

I finally got back home too on tuesday evening.

First I want to say thank you to the CPUK for orginising the EEE 2011.

I think it was a good EEE with the exhibition, Plantsale and the slide-shows.

For the EEE 2012 it's not decided yet, but i'll try within 2 weeks time to give an answer and will post it on this forum.

Take care,

Wouter

However, very disappointed to note that several nurseries that were apparently attending were not there.

I really enjoyed EEE2011 and had assumed that some of the sellers listed were only there on the Saturday, as I was only there on the Sunday.

Hi all, as it was my first time at EEE or at any CPS event I just want to thank all the committee members and everyone else with whom I spoke for their generous hospitality, advice and welcome to the CP community. It was great to be able to put faces to names that I have seen mentioned in dispatches or on this forum. I had a great time and bought far too many plants! I even managed to get them home to Ireland without provoking the ire of Scabair and Mr O'Leary. The 3 1/2 foot flava maxima doesn't seem to have reacted too badly to being bent double to fit in my bag either! I also made it down to Mikes open day on the Monday which was fabulous - I need a new house with room for more greenhouses! I got home rather late and was up until half past midnight potting up the new plants and doing my watering. On the Tuesday I was off down to Co. Cork for work and managed to continue the CP theme by making a visit to the Healy Pass to see the 4 species of CPs there on my way home the following day. I'll put some pics up later.

I hope to get back over again, probably next year.

Thanks again, Ian

Hi to all!

I spent two pleasant days with all of you, see many nice people and even buy much more plants than I planned. I needed 3 days to organize all my memories and here is the product (some photos from the event):

Meeting in Chester Zoo

Some names are missing, I've lost them from my memory or confused with others. If you see some mistakes or emptiness please send me a pm and I will repair. The webpage is written in our language, but you can imagine what it tells.

And a special thanks to AndyP, who was my driver and everything else. Without him it would be impossible to see as much I did!