Nepenthes And Shade Cloth

Jonathan F.

It does seem like the shade is too much for them if they've stopped pitchering - I find that light is the most important factor (even in low humidity) for having nepenthes produce pitchers. I have my plants outside in San Diego in full sun from about 1:30 in the afternoon until sunset, and a few look like they will scorch in this so I've had to pull them back so the sun doesn't hit them til about 2:30 or so. Most are OK with sunshine from 2:30 in the afternoon onward (less intense than noontime sun, but still out in the direct sun), but a couple just get red-tinged leaves like hamata and glabrata.

Hi,

I did use coolglass but don't bother now. I find that leaving bubble wrap up gives all the shading I need.

This year I put a few of my bigger Neps in my sarracenia house. This has no shading or bubblewrap and most of the Neps did burn a bit and stop pitchering. But gradually as they adjusted they resumed pitchering and the leaves have toughened up. I find Neps with hairy leaves such as anything with N. veitchii in it as a species or hybrid never like too much light and go yellow. And my N. platychila went brown and again did not look like it would adjust. But Neps with the waxy leathery leaves are ok.

Keeping the greenhouse fully open (in the summer) also helps the plants from overheating.

Another alternative might be coolglass paint, got round to buying some this year but didnt get around to trying it on the greenhouse, so cant say if it works better than shade cloth.

I can not use coolglass paint as it will wash into my water butts what I use to water my cps.

You may want to consider this . I know others have used or use this and it is very effective without cutting down too much on the light. The aluminium reflects some of the sunlight and what gets through is more than enough.

Edited by Leo

I also use the aluminium shading - expensive, but effective

I took it all down 3 weeks ago and the neps are enjoying full autumn sunshine

BTW. My platychila has been on the unshaded South facing end of the greenhouse all summer, no problems of burning (and now starting to flower). I would agree that good light is likely to be important in raising many species to maturity

Dave

Edited by osmosis