This pitcher ... ?

Mr. Son

Sorry Phil and Mr. Son, too many problems with Vietnam, too many poachers and too many people ready to die before helping any western guy to find and protect these plants. Personally I'll try to shut up about the plants from that area, we only increased problems when we tried to help.

I don't know why we never had all these problems with Thailand and Cambodia.

They are weeds and not protected in Viet Nam

Mr Son - Nice Nep :unsure: I'd say thats N. smilesii. But best to wait for Francois or Cello to confirm.

Nah,

N. smilesii has short tendrils and less ovate pitchers. This looks more like one of the "Tiger" species, more like N. suratensis or N. kampotiana than it does N. smilesii...

You could well be right Dave (you've a lot longer experience with them than me), although those pitchers are quite small, so the tendrals aren't that long. But as for shape, smilesii is vary variable. However, I was assuming (possibly wrongly) that as it was wild collected, it was collected in Vietnam.

Mr Son - was this collected from Viet Nam, Thailand or Cambodia ? The location would help a lot with the identity. Also does it have any hairs on the stem, leaves, tendral, pitcher ?

Edited by Phil Green

This plant is gift my friend, Him said that he grow it 2 or 3 year ago and take from Binh Châu hot water, near Vung Tau city, and now Binh Chau hot warter is Resort so can't find Nepenthes. The pitcher always squat I think It cant n. smilesi and look like Tiger of Thai ...

have many problems with Vietnam, I can help about information Nepenthes in here but I cant help where can find Nepenthes exactly, because I dont know exactly . almost I listen information from many people said. I want help but I dont know how can help ??? .

Last time Sockhom met me, I give him all information I know for him, I cant help more than I know. many people know more but them dont say....

Mr Son - that location means it's not suratensis. I think (and I could be wrong), that this is slightly further up the coast than kampotiana has previously been recorded - but that doesn't mean it can't be. If the leaves are smooth without any short hairs, then that would suggest kampotiana. If the leaves and pitchers have very short hairs on them (you may need to look very closely), that would suggest smilesii. I can't tell from the photos if the leaf edges are hairy or it's just a blur of the photo.

It could however, possibly be a hybrid between one of them and mirabilis.

As an example of how variable smilesii can be, look at this pic that Francois posted from Kirirom last year. It looks very like some pics I've seen of Trang Bizarre (mirabils var. globosa).

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/3060/p1070809.jpg

Edited by Phil Green

If you look at all photos of properly ID'ed N. smilesii, you'll see that it is rather rare for any tendrils to be more than a cm or two longer than pitcher is and most often the leaf apex is about level with the top of corresponding pitcher:

http://pitcherplants.proboards.com/index.c...7895&page=1

and

http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=33366

and

N_smilesii23.jpg

Mr. Son's plant does appears to have an extremely similar peristome to those seen on N. smilesii; so I can see why it is being considered, but tendrils seem too long and the pitchers too consistently round. Might be a N. smilesii hybrid though... But I haven't heard of any of these species overlaping?

How much of a heat lover is N. smilesii? I'm more under the impression it is an intermediate species, not a true lowlander...

As per Marcello's http://www.carnivorousplants.it/indochina.htm

"N. thorelii: lost since 1908 and never introduced in cultivation, the origin of the whole “indochinese mess” has been recently re-found, after 100 years, by some local Nepenthes enthusiasts, just a few km from the type location. Its distribution seems to be limited to the south of the Country, where N. kampotiana ends."

Mr Son, do you have photos of the leaves, stem and whole plant?

Here is a plant I'm fairly sure is N. kampotiana:

http://www.rci.rutgers.edu/~dpevans/Nepent..._kampotiana.htm

Also, N. kampotiana has glabrous (hairless) stems and leaves. As per several authors and my plant: the tendrils and pitchers are slightly fuzzy.

Edited by Dave Evans