Anyone use clover Irish moss peat

Matt - this is the one I mentioned that I'ved used after westlands.....it seems ok but tends to go either green and slimy or has patches of mould growing on the top of the surface.

yeah I saw someone else had used it on the forum and got slime at first but apparrantly it goes after a while and his plants were doing well in it sending up new growth and new shoots so im pretty undecided on this one.

Finding it hard to get hold of shamrock which i used at first and even with my shamrock I got the mould and slime at the beggining but that disappeared after couple of months and my plants were fine.

LJ when and how long did you use it for? did it affect your plants atal or was it just the slime that put you off.

Need to really hear from someone that has used clover peat for a while so I can see how it fares in the long term.

Edited by mattybadboy44

James - unfortunately good peat is a getting harder and harder to find here - sometimes we have to accept that buying peat just isnt environmentally friendly, some brands will be better/worse than others for this but either way its not an ideal solution.....hopefully one day we'll find a good alternative to peat but until then we have to live with that on our conscience and use whatever we can find here I'm afraid.

Moorland gold is out there but pretty expensive and dont think there really is mcu helse to use. I'm using lots of live moss due to crappy peat and too many fungus gnats. I have on bag of shamrock but after the news it was going out of business/changing owners (cant remember the exact details sorry) then not even shure how much longer I'll be able to find that :(

I understand that; it is just dreadful to see the habitats I love being wiped out permanently.

I don't buy peat, I use half peat, half dead moss from a bit of small scale turf digging near me. It is lovely stuff - well aerated and light and a lovely colour, it doesn't do the habitat any harm, and the local Drosera and Utrics love it. I also use a lot of live Sphagnum that I grow from samples collected from the bog as well. Takes time but it is well worth it, and especially for the Utrics as it is full of beasties that they gorge themselves on.

Unfortunately most here don't live conveniently beside a bog and have to buy your peat. I hate it, but what can you do?