CPS - What is going on.

I'm hoping that someone in the know, could inform us what is going on with the publications we are supposed to be getting. I have checked the CPS website for info, but there is nothing, and the last society new is the 2009 chelsea flower show :whistling:

Back in the December 2009 CPS News, it said that from now on we would get "two full colour publications Planta Carnivora twice a year (March & September) and a seedbank list in between (June & December). This was supposed to make things easier to deliver while still giving the same quantity of articles of a higher quality.

Now did I miss something ? The June seedbank list has just arrived - SEPTEMBER and (please forgive me if I'm wrong) but I have no recollection of recieving this new publication in March - I have searched but can't find anything (but I may have just lost it ??)

The December 2009 NEWS also said that the 2009 Journal would " soon arrive on your doorsteps". The last Journal I can find is dated 2007 and a fine publication it was. So please where are these publications ? We were told at the meeting to make the changes that enough articles was now held to produce several publications - so where are they.

If the june one has only just arrived, does that mean the September one will arrive at Christmas, and what about March's

It wouldn't be so bad if something of an explaination when things aren't happening was posted on the CPS web site - but that seems to be dead as a dodo. I am seriously reconsidering my membership.

CPS PLEASE, KEEP YOUR MEMBERS INFORMED ABOUT WHAT IS OR ISN'T HAPPENING.

Hello Phil

I know the publications have been a bit late this Year But its a good pubication. Different but a change from the past. The problem is that the commitee are all volunters and do this in there spare time. I know its annoying expecting the publication that doe,s not turn up. nothing on the web site. perhaps the commitee could look into this, Every Society has its ups and down and were no different. If people just up and leave it will only make the society weaker. I spoken to another member who is fed up, about the news letter etc. Stlll this is a good place to start to see how we can come up with some good idear,s.

but at the end of the day it,s up to the membership as well as the commitee to make the society a success. Which I think it is with the meeting and shows etc.

I know we know have the internet and forum,s but the society has done shows etc for more years then I care to remember. Phil its members like yourself who are growing plants from seed and saying what a lot of people are thinking. At the end of the day if the members write the article then there will be a news letter on time. if they don,t then there wont. Keith

Hi Keith,

Yeh, I fully understand that the committee are volunteers. I have done a lot of voluntary work myself over the years and been on committees. I was once the chairman of the local branch of the county wildlife trust. And when we organised meetings or whatever we made sure they happened.

If it was a lack of articles, then that would be understandable. But we were told way back at the end of year meeting (nearly a year ago) that enough articles were now held to fill several publications - so where are they. Plus the total lack of info from the society - not even anything on the offical website.

Also, the seedbank list just sent out, every page is dated JUNE, so Sheila clearly did it for June. So why has it only been sent out now - nearly 3 months late ?

Edited by Phil Green

I was very impressed with both the journal and newsletter which arrived last week. Very professional looking publications, good mix of articles and excellent photos.

What has failed to impress me is that the Seed List arrived with a 'normal' second class stamp (rather than a large letter stamp) and it has cost me £1.19 in additional postage to receive it.........that 19p additional postage and a £1 'fine' for it not having the correct stamp.

Has something one out seperately then? I recieved one bit of post from the CPS but havent opened it yet but I had had something through the door to say they couldnt deliver because the sender didnt pay the right postage - I apparently owe £1.19 before i can pick it up. No great hardship to me but thought this would have been sorted out after the other similar problem with postage.

Good to hear the publication sounds good though, will have a read later.

Got the two journals the other week and yes, very professional. A far cry from the journals we had in the mid '80's when I first joined!

I also had to pay £1.19 to get the seed list and yes again, the same happened last year. A friend of mine refused his so I assume it's being sent back. This is a simple mistake and one which causes a lot of annoyance and can also cost valuable members, so can the society please invest in some 'large letter' stamps?

I welcome the change back to two journals per year, but PLEASE can people put pen to paper and write some articles, jeez, I managed it when I was about 12, and can still find an hour to put pen to paper. It doesn't need to be a bloody thesis, just a few lines about how you grow your favourite species will be great, expecially with a couple of photos.

We are all busy people, and it's easy to moan about an apparent lack of action/information, but am sure we can all do our bit.

Nigel HC

So if the Journals are being sent out, why have they been posted seperately to the seedbank list and not combined ?? That is just a waste of postage.

Mike, was it the CPS (UK) journal you got or the ICPS which should be arriving any time now ?

All I've had was the 3 month old seedbank list - which also had a sticker saying underpaid postage and £1.19 (or whatever) owed, but on mine is was scribbled out and just posted through my door (I was in). Had they asked for money, I'd have told them to return it to sender.

Edit - I see CPS Journals have been sent out - SO WHERE IS MINE.

Who else has them and who is still waiting.

Edited by Phil Green

Hi Phil

CPS (UK) Journal for 2009 and the Spring Newsletter arrived together at the end of last week. The Seed Bank would have arrived on Saturday if I had been in and presented the Postman with £1.19. As it was I paid the difference online (using a credit card so who knows what the Post office will actually receive) and received the Seed list today. No friends won by the Post Office over this as the 'fine' is five times the value of the postage.

I have only joined the CPS in the last few weeks and have already received a welcome pack, containing a growing guide, and also two journals. As a relative beginner the growing guide is a useful and welcome publication containing some good advice and full of great photos. Likewise the journals they are very professional looking with some interesting articles and excellent photos.

The one question I have is that I received one journal dated 2009, which I assume is from Autumn last year, and one dated Spring 2010. Does this mean I will also be receiving the Autumn 2010 journal soon as well ?

FROM THE CPS

It has been brought to the attention of the CPS that the wrong postage was put on the seed list that has either arrived with CPS members or that will arrive shortly.

Please accept our apologies for the mistake.

If you would like an up to date seed list, please email Sheila through the CPS website and she will send you an updated list via email.

Regards Dianne Riddiford

CPS Meetings Organiser

No friends won by the Post Office over this as the 'fine' is five times the value of the postage.

You can't really blame the post office for the fact that the CPS tried to send LARGE LETTERS for the price of a regular 2nd class stamp :( Their postal guides are quite clear. I believe the problem last time this happened was down to thickness (I could be wrong) and it was borderline. This one isn't.

The one question I have is that I received one journal dated 2009, which I assume is from Autumn last year, and one dated Spring 2010. Does this mean I will also be receiving the Autumn 2010 journal soon as well ?

NO. Previously we were 'supposed' to get 4 small newsletters and one Journal every year. Now the Journal and newsletters have been combined and we are 'supposed' to get a Journal/newsletter + seedbank list March & September and just a seedbank list and any urgent/important info in June & December.

But if the 2009 Journal is now being sent out. What is happening with the 2008 Journal, or has this now been adandoned ?

Still I guess things are getting better - 2009 Journal 1 year late, March Journal 6 months late, June seedbank list 3 months late - by next year we may start getting things when we're supposed to :lookeye:

Hi

Tim Bailey asked me to post this on his behalf.

Dear Phil

The Spring Edition of Planta Carnivora content went to the Graphic Designer in the first week of March 2010. It took until the end of July to get it back ready for printing. We had a timescale that wasn't met and we learn from that experience for the future. Then it took a month to get it printed, thanks to Barclays Bank holding up the bank transfer to our European printer. Another week went waiting for the next weekend for the packing session - packing the Journal takes two us over 5 hours. Hence September.

Because of the likely delay we posted the March Seed Bank on time, without the Spring Journal. We were originally told that we would have the Spring Journal ready for printing in time for the June news and Seed Bank List. That didn't happen for the explanation above. The Seed Bank List was completed in the first week of June. To save the membership money on postage, it was decided to wait until the Journals were ready. However, the weeks went by without receiving them.

The Autumn edition was sent to the Graphic Designer at the beginning of August, and we are promised it will be ready in time for posting in October. My aim is to send it in October, but I can't say what day. Given you have only just received a Seed Bank List, there is little point in posting another in October followed by another in December and it would cost the Society Approx £170 if we did.

The Society completed all our work on time during the year to meet our deadline promises. We have also tried very hard to keep others on track to meet our deadlines, but failed. I take full responsibility for that. My explanation above is just that, an explanation, and should not be taken as an excuse. Although material has been delayed, all that you will miss this year is a single Seed Bank List - unless of course members call for an Autumn edition, which I will do, print and post.

For members information, to help prevent further problems, I'm bringing the Journal deadlines back a month.

It is not quite correct to say we have enough articles, unless of course we print Stewart's articles every edition. What we have is a staple diet of material, but, as always, would like the Society's members to come forward with contributions to mix it up. I hope you will make a contribution in the future, should you decide to stay with the Society.

Tim Bailey, CPS Newsletter & Journal Editor

Hi

apologies to CPS members who have had to pay the Post Office's £1.19 charge to get their seed bank list and Treasurer's Report.

A copy of both in their envelope were taken to my local post office for weighing etc and the stamp they said was necessary was put on the plastic envelope.

This has happened before and eventually we were able to get some compensation. We will be starting this process again.

In the meantime, if you contact me on [email protected] to let me know that you have paid the charge I will add a month to your membership record. If you don't wish to pay the £1.19 you can download the seedbank list and Treasurer's report from the website for free.

Dennis Balsdon

CPS Membnership Secretary

Hi Dennis / Tim,

Thanks for that explaination. Whilst unfortunate, that is totally understandable.

So why weren't the membership kept informed about the issues ?

The ICPS use this forum to let it's members know that their publication is being posted. The CPS not only didn't use this to tell us things had now been posted - it didn't even use it's own website to tell us, let alone explain the delays.

It is this total lack of information which is most frustrating - even more so than the delays. Also, given the costs, I can't understand why the Journals and June seedbank list have been sent at the same time, but seperately. Why weren't they sent together to save the society (and members through 'fines') money. Given the time taken to pack things up, it must have been known that everything was now ready.

So PLEASE, CPS keep your members informed of what is or what isn't happening and why. That is one of the things your website is supposed to be for.

And my Journal has now arrived, but haven't had a chance to open it yet.

Thanks Tim for the explanation. The society has, as I see it, been through a rocky patch in recent times but things are so much better-certainly with the new journal format which I think has increased the professional and saleability stakes and puts us up there with some of the other societies.

Let's please move on, it's no good going on about why things have taken so long, the bottom line is that we now have a print structure in place with timescales so we know when to expect things. Tim's just taken the role of journal editor on, and he's done a fantastic job (as Phil did), so let's not kick him in the balls.

As I said yesterday, and as Tim has said we need to write more in the way of articles. 8 authors over two journals? Come on, with a membership like ours we can do better than that. I've just looked at the 1985 journals and there were 14 authors + letters. The comparitively small number of plants we had then made it very restrictive, but with the plants in cultivation today we should be able to fill volumes. I know the internet has made it easier to look things up, but use it as a reference tool and write about your own experiences.

Nigel HC

Thanks Tim for the explanation. The society has, as I see it, been through a rocky patch in recent times but things are so much better-certainly with the new journal format which I think has increased the professional and saleability stakes and puts us up there with some of the other societies.

Let's please move on, it's no good going on about why things have taken so long, the bottom line is that we now have a print structure in place with timescales so we know when to expect things. Tim's just taken the role of journal editor on, and he's done a fantastic job (as Phil did), so let's not kick him in the balls.

As I said yesterday, and as Tim has said we need to write more in the way of articles. 8 authors over two journals? Come on, with a membership like ours we can do better than that. I've just looked at the 1985 journals and there were 14 authors + letters. The comparitively small number of plants we had then made it very restrictive, but with the plants in cultivation today we should be able to fill volumes. I know the internet has made it easier to look things up, but use it as a reference tool and write about your own experiences.

Nigel HC

People need motivation. Perhaps some sort of payment for articles. I dont mean cash but maybe something that the society does not have to pay hard cash for, maybe a years free membership, some plants (donated free of charge by members), you could negotiate some free tickets for various plant related shows and exhibitions. Im sure the the organisers would be glad to help other plant enthusiasts as its all in a good cause and good for the hobby generally.

As I said yesterday, and as Tim has said we need to write more in the way of articles

There may be quite a few members but i'm guessing many are like me wouldnt feel confident writing an article.....not everyone has a flair for writing and not everyone will feel they have sufficient knowledge/experience.

Reminders on the CPS website and here re the sorts of things articles are wanted on/ how big they should be / deadlines etc might help get more interest.

The incentive idea is a good one but would need to be something that doesnt really cost the society much. I figure the people that would be best placed to write articles - the likes of Stewart, Mike King and all the others with good collections or good experience are those that have the least amount of free time for actually writing anything!! Not sure these people would really be encouraged by any incentives either, perhaps gentle persuasion by direct contact to the bigger collectors/sellers is the way to go? General members might be encouraged by some sort of incentive though, would be good if we can get more general members involved too.

Perhaps those members (you know who you are!!) doing experiements with mediums, fertilisers, lighting might write some articles if we're lucky :)

People need motivation. Perhaps some sort of payment for articles. I dont mean cash but maybe something that the society does not have to pay hard cash for, maybe a years free membership, some plants (donated free of charge by members), you could negotiate some free tickets for various plant related shows and exhibitions. Im sure the the organisers would be glad to help other plant enthusiasts as its all in a good cause and good for the hobby generally.

Thanks for the comment Mantrid. I understand the idea and it has crossed my own mind in the past too, but I would hope the membership would not need an inducement. As you know Committee members give up many days each year and spend quite a bit of our own money supporting the work of the Society without incentive. I would hope members would get personal satisfaction from having their work published.

I'm on hand to help anyone who would like to put an article together and who may not be confident writers. I've set out the sort of topics we would like to see at the back of the Spring Planta Carnivora.

Edited by Tim Bailey

I don't think an incentive is the way to go-surely the reward of having a good journal with diverse articles is incentive enough. I don't have the time to write long articles as I start work by 7 in the morning and am usually still in the office late in to the evening, but its amazing how much you can write down at lunchtime!

We all have to start somewhere and as I said earlier, I managed my first tiny article when I was 12 ish, so with the diversity of plants in cultivation now we are all sure to have our specialities.

Nigel HC

Not blaming the Post office for the original problem Phil but having a general moan about the fact that the 'fine' is often several times the value of any underpayment.

I'm sure in the not too distant past the Postman used to collect the difference and that was seen as being equitable.

Having read the posts above I may now have a crack at writing an artice for a future newsletter.