What are you using for the roots and the pitcher feeding?

Currently trialling Levingtons tomato feed (Tomorite), which has added seaweed extract. I've been using it for a couple of months on the plant above, with no noticeable adverse affects and the Sphagnum moss appears to like it. I have however been using hydroponics nutrient solution (Ionic Grow) on various species of carnivorous plants for a number of years. I don't think that all carnivorous plants are root nutient tolerant, but some appear to be, with Heliamphora appearing to be one of them.

Edited by mobile

Hey Carl...I'm not sure if you've mentioned it already, but how many hours do you expose Heli under those LEDs?

Oh and also, how much(fertilizer/water ratio)? and how often do you fertilize?

That last photo of the Heli Pulchella looks very nice!...Thanks for sharing..

Edited by dchasselblad74
Hey Carl...I'm not sure if you've mentioned it already, but how many hours do you expose Heli under those LEDs?
13 hours/day.
Oh and also, how much(fertilizer/water ratio)? and how often do you fertilize?
The fertiliser is N4.0 P4.5 K8.0 and I apply it at dilution strength of 4ml/l, every two or three weeks.
That last photo of the Heli Pulchella looks very nice!...Thanks for sharing..

Well i hope they work 'cos i ordered 2 bulbs today and then i had to go to argos and get two lamps to put them in. But i think its a great idea and as my Heli's curently live on an east facing window they could do with the love....

I'd be interested to see a ceph growing under one of these lights, could have some fantastic colouration. Have you thought about trying this on cephs?
It was a toss up between whether I would try a Heliamphora or a Cephalotus under this lamp and I eventually decided on the former. I doubt whether I will try a Cephalotus until the price of the lamps come down, because currently each setup costs £40, which is quite expensive to light a single plant.
Well i hope they work 'cos i ordered 2 bulbs today and then i had to go to argos and get two lamps to put them in. But i think its a great idea and as my Heli's curently live on an east facing window they could do with the love....
Are these in a terrarium, as low humidity could be an issue if not? Edited by mobile
Are you decreasing the photo-period for you winter as 13 hours is rather short? I use 18 hours under MH lamps for summer and 12 for winter.

No, I typically have my plants under 13 hours illumination all year round. With regards to Heliamphora the daylength in there nautural habitat does not vary very much.

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=58

Are these in a terrarium, as low humidity could be an issue if not?

No my Heli's just sit on the Kitchen windowsill facing east. Very far from ideal for light levels but it is cool. They don't grow quickly but they do ok, it's a low maintanance setup:-). I just got the two lamps setup and put one of them over one of my windowsill Heli's. If i get the colouration you are seeing i will be very happy.

Andy

• 5 weeks later...

I have just taken some pictures of the Heli i put under the bulb and by some fluke it is exactly 1 month to the day that the plant has been under it. The Heli i used was an H. minor i aquired earlier this year. It was a small plant that hadnt grown much over the summer while it settled in. It was entirely green with no colouration previously.

Pigmentation appeared on the pitcher almost immediately and now as you can see from the pictures there is significant colour in the plant especially on the inside of the pitchers. There are also three new pitchers growing. I am very happy with the results and am looking forward to alot of growth over the winter :-)

gallery_4699_267_27281.jpg

gallery_4699_267_32392.jpg

gallery_4699_267_68350.jpg

• 2 weeks later...