Best way to bubble wrap greenhouse

Hi,

For the first time im going to be keeping some of my less hardier plants outside in my greenhouse over winter as I have run out of room in my conservatory I have heard of bubblewrapping the greenhouse to keep it warmer. I have got some bubblewrap and I just need some advice on how and where to put it up and what to attach it with.

Also once I have put it up can I leave it up over summer or do I need to take it down?

Thanks,

Matt

Hi Matt,

I use these in my greenhouses http://www.twowests.co.uk/TwoWestsSite/product/BPALLI.htm

If possible I use a continuous section from one side of the house to the other side. Where I have roof vents I leave that area clear. Though tend to cover the glass there with a square of bubble wrap when the vents stop opening in the winter.

For Neps I tend to leave it up all year round as it helps shade the plants a bit in the summer. In a Sarracenia house I would remove it in the summer. But Sarracenia don't need it anyway.

cheers

bill

Hi Matt,

I use these in my greenhouses http://www.twowests.co.uk/TwoWestsSite/product/BPALLI.htm

If possible I use a continuous section from one side of the house to the other side. Where I have roof vents I leave that area clear. Though tend to cover the glass there with a square of bubble wrap when the vents stop opening in the winter.

For Neps I tend to leave it up all year round as it helps shade the plants a bit in the summer. In a Sarracenia house I would remove it in the summer. But Sarracenia don't need it anyway.

cheers

bill

Thanks flycatchers, found that very helpful and I have ordered some of those Alliplugs thanks for the link.

My grrenhouse has a bit of everything in it so would it be ok to leave the bubble wrap up.

Cheers

Sorry to jump in, you won't need the bubble wrap, but at the same time, it's not going to do any harm. You may find though that the plants colours are not as they would be if they had direct sun.

Regards

Alex.

Sorry to jump in, you won't need the bubble wrap, but at the same time, it's not going to do any harm. You may find though that the plants colours are not as they would be if they had direct sun.

Regards

Alex.

So I wont need it then will it not help insulate much during the winter I was pretty undecided weather to use it or not would prob rather not unless it has good enough benefits

Cheers

Matt.

• 1 month later...

i just got the bubblewrap in for the first time as well, putting it up on the inside is going to be alot of work, ie moving my benches, any reason i cant fit it to the outside of the greenhouse with tape?

i just got the bubblewrap in for the first time as well, putting it up on the inside is going to be alot of work, ie moving my benches, any reason i cant fit it to the outside of the greenhouse with tape?

I wrapped my nep house only on the inside last year and found the heating costs were massive. This year I've wrapped it inside and out, the inside I secured with plastic plugs and taped it together. On the outside I started with just tape but found that when water got to it, at the ends, it started peeling back (despite buying UV stable greenhouse tape) so I've joined the sections with silicone sealant then finished it with tape. So far so good.