Can anyone ID this Ping?

numpty

Howdy,

I posted a while back to ask if anyone could identify a Ping I'd picked up at a local flower market ... as was pointed out, a rather unlikely request in the absence of a flower. Anyway, three weeks of mild watering, half-shade, and high temperatures have yielded one. (I'd say the petals have a rather stronger tinge at the edges than is captured in these pictures.)

Any ideas?

679Ping_flower_0.jpg

617Ping_flower_1.jpg

146Ping_flower_2.jpg

586Ping_flower_3.jpg

Hi,

Pinguicula agnata or gigantea

You should look under leaf, If it has Tentacle , It is P.gigantea

Nope, no hairs on the undersides of the leaves.

Looking at pictures of P. agnata, I see it typically has a very short flower spur. This one seems a bit longer to me, or is this actually a short spur as Pings go? (It's the only Ping I have, so I've nothing to compare it to.)

Cheers!

Thanks guys.

The hybrid theory sounds about right ... there are lots of those floating around here. But it's good to get an idea of its parentage so I know how to treat it, and specifically what to do in winter (and presumably its winter form will give further clues as to its heritage).

• 4 weeks later...
Maybe just 'the one kind of Ping' means a load of plants grown from seed from a crossing. That could result in the variations.

That's probably it. I thought I understood that they were tissue-cultured plants of a single clone, but the flowers would suggest otherwise.

If they are a bunch of seed-grown plants, does the second one give any more clues as to which parent (beyond agnata) might be in the mix?

Just curious ...

At first I would say: raised from seed from moranensis X agnata ; F2

On the second thought, I think plants were mixed up in a shipment from the producer's greenhouse; some moranensis between agnata's. Often plants grow there by the thousands, shoulder to shoulder. It is quite easy to pick some wrong pots or to mix some during repotting.

Menno Sasker

On the second thought, I think plants were mixed up in a shipment from the producer's greenhouse; some moranensis between agnata's. Often plants grow there by the thousands, shoulder to shoulder. It is quite easy to pick some wrong pots or to mix some during repotting.

But both of these plants have some qualities of P. agnata both in foliage and flower. Although P. moranensis seems to be a name used on almost every Ping under the Sun, which variant are you suggesting either of these plants resembles?

You write as if you know who the supplier was. Who was it?

Edited by jimfoxy