Sign in to follow this  
dchasselblad74

"Drosophyllum Germination"

Has anyone had good germination with drosophyllum seeds with just soaking in water for 24 hours(no scarification or giberellic acid dipping)? Anyone?

DexFC

Hi

The best way to improve germination is soaking seeds in a 2% sulfuric acid ( H2SO4) solution

for 24 h. then rince well with water and sow.

The best period to sow drosophyllum seed is early spring ( february)

Hope it can help.

Yves

thanks Yves for advice....How does these seeds germinate in the wild? Im sure there is no acid dipping going on in the wild right?I wonder how it happens naturally?

DexFC

thanks Yves for advice....How does these seeds germinate in the wild? Im sure there is no acid dipping going on in the wild right?I wonder how it happens naturally?

DexFC

I think that the conditions are better and that they are scarved through the sand so that the whater can go in when thare is rain.

A friend got really good germination lately. He first soaked the seed in water for 4 days, then scarified the seed and soaked again for another 3 days.

It's in spanish but you can see his post here: http://www.carnivoras-la.org/forum/phpBB3/...?f=17&t=520

Nice article and photos.....Thanks Utricseb....Theres hope for my seeds...

DexFC.

I also snip the pointed end, as my scarification, before soaking them.

Ahhh I see...Ill try these tips........Thanks Everyone:.......

DexFC

I don't do anything special, sometimes I soak, sometimes I don't. I recently sowed seeds that were 2 years old which had been in my fridge for the 2 years, and they are germinating well about 6 weeks after I sowed them. Those I did soak for about 48 hours in water, no other treatment. I have about 40 or so plants, and always sow to replace those that inevitably die each year.

I used to scratch the seeds and things like that but never found any improvement in germination. It takes about 6 weeks for germination in an ordinary greenhouse at this time of year.

See Crumble, thats what Im talking about...no special treatment, with relatively good outcome...Cause the way I look at it is there is no one in the wild to scratch and soak in acid and what not....In my opinion, your technique is more natural...and Your technique is my technique.....Thanks

DexFC

Has anyone tried soaking Dewey pine seeds in 10% chlorine bleach and 90% water? I heard of this for Byblis seed germination, but I was wondering if it would work for Drosophylum seeds? I'm actually trying this today with 3 seeds.........

DexFC

I would go with a weak acid solution.

Hello,

I just soaked them in nice clean ro water for 36 hours. 4 of the 6 seeds germinated in around a month.

Have read you could also scratch the seed cote with sand paper to reveal the white endosperm.

Are the seeds fresh?

good growing

Hello,

I just soaked them in nice clean ro water for 36 hours. 4 of the 6 seeds germinated in around a month.

Have read you could also scratch the seed cote with sand paper to reveal the white endosperm.

Are the seeds fresh?

good growing

The seeds are a year old...I tried scratching or scarifying, but its a pain in the neck process(seeds so tiny, I can't get a proper hold)....Thanks for replying....

DexFC

I would go with a weak acid solution.

What kind of acid? Cause I have no clue where to get the famous "Giberrelic Acid"..Brainstorm;Would vinegar work? After all its an acid right?

DexFC

Hi

The best is sulfuric acid ( H2SO4 ) 2%

The best period to sow D. lusitanicum seeds is february.

Yves

Cool thanks....Ill try that.....

DexFC

If I can help you, I will say that is very useful to dip the seeds in water for several days. I have used many variations, but the important thing is that the seed is opened and water can get inside. Gibberellic acid solution works pretty well, because the water will open pores and acid does the rest.