Its getting near that time again

Yes I know its a bit early. However after last years winter I lost quite a few plants and some suffered badly. I want to know what in your experience is the best source of heat, gas, electric or paraffin. Running cost have to be a consideration. I can get an electricity supply if necessary but I think running costs would be high. I only have VFT and Sarras, so I dont need it warm, just not as cold

Thanks

Last winter I ran a 2kW electric heater in my 6x8 cheapo polycarbonate greenhouse hooked up to as decent thermostat to maintain a temperature of 0-2C. It was surprisingly effective and pretty cheap, I would estimate about 10 - 15 euro per month max, but I didn't really notice any obvious increase in my electricity bill. I did get frost on the inside of the polycarbonate when it was at its coldest, but only lost 2 sarras out of a few hundred sarras, vfts, temperate droseras, pings and a ceph.

My only worry is the supply I had to tap into from the shed is a little lighter than I'd like so while it's adequate 2kW is about the max I can run without potentially melting the insulation! Now I've a second greenhouse I might have to leave it to its own devices!

Ian

So that everybody this worried about the low tepetaruras but about 0 degrees my sarras and VFT the past year degrees by the nights had outdoors with -5 and step nothing perfectly I do not believe that it does not pass anything so that they have those temperatures.

• 5 weeks later...
Sounds strange, so you have no idea what happened?

I was really cold where I live, -10ºC for days on end , really rare. I have just bought a propane heater with a thermostat to keep away the severe cold. The plants really suffered this year and were very slow growing. Hopefully this will make a difference.

Thanks for the replies

Edited by Dode

I've recently bought a Parasene heater too plus some insulation, hopefully that will protect my plants (which include some cacti and other succulents) should we get another harsh winter like the last one.