I Think its a Sarracenia

Guest craig20102010

Guest craig20102010

DSCN1361.jpg

this is the picture of the seed iv managed to get to grow but im unsure of what type of pitcher it is i think its a sarracenia

As you can see sadly one has died though :biggrin: no idea why..

i only water it with rain water and it sits in a tub with rain water in on my window sill. sun comes in the window all day more or less..and the windows open constantly so plenty of air circulation.

any idea what that green stuff is and is it killing the plant...

What else can i do to make it grow better?

Guest craig20102010
It's a seedling so will grow slowly. You should have an adult in 3-5 years.

does this include giving it a domant period of three months for part of the year? just dont want this one to die like the other one did since its taken me ages to get one of these to germinate..

The green stuff is some sort of slime/mould,it usually grows on new wet/damp compost.

The seedling is a sarracenia.did it germinate in that position on your window cill? The draught caused by the window being open can cause what is called "burn" or "scorch" this can kill small seedlings and even effect mature plants until they become accustomed to the position in which they grow.

The green stuff wont kill the plant. The new pitchers look o.k,and it even looks like you have a small drosera seedling there too.

If you are going to grow it there,just give it a bit more protection until it is a bit larger.This can be done by cutting the top and bottom of a large pop bottle and placing the clear plastic cylinder left over the plant.

ada

Guest craig20102010
The green stuff is some sort of slime/mould,it usually grows on new wet/damp compost.

The seedling is a sarracenia.did it germinate in that position on your window cill? The draught caused by the window being open can cause what is called "burn" or "scorch" this can kill small seedlings and even effect mature plants until they become accustomed to the position in which they grow.

The green stuff wont kill the plant. The new pitchers look o.k,and it even looks like you have a small drosera seedling there too.

If you are going to grow it there,just give it a bit more protection until it is a bit larger.This can be done by cutting the top and bottom of a large pop bottle and placing the clear plastic cylinder left over the plant.

ada

yeh it did germinate there..

Aye i can grow drosera no problems lol. they grow all over the place.. seeds keep been dropped all over the soil from the plants nearby.

i will try that hopefully it works.. im guessin im protecting it from drying out from the wind? and not the sun.

I find that Sarracenia seedlings vary hugely in their survivability. Some die very quickly, some put on a huge spurt of growth. Don't be disheartened.

You haven't said where you obtained the seed that you started off with but the seedling you have left looks healthy at the moment.

Guest craig20102010
I find that Sarracenia seedlings vary hugely in their survivability. Some die very quickly, some put on a huge spurt of growth. Don't be disheartened.

You haven't said where you obtained the seed that you started off with but the seedling you have left looks healthy at the moment.

well im glad to hear that.. hope it does survive.. it appears to be sending up another shoot now so im hoping it can maintain three shoots at the same time.

i got the seed from ebay i think. not the best place to buy from since usually its better to plant seeds as soon as they have germinated to get a better success rate am i right?