Roridula Winterfeeding question...

Hello peep's!

After ploughing trough nearly all pages of the pseudo forum, i'm giving up, and just ask out straight here..

What prey is favoured/easyest to get the bug's safely trough wintertime (given i succeed in keeping the plant alive in the first place)?

I'm in a lot of trouble when just flies will do..or at least if one escapes during feedingtime i am!..so any other alternative's?

Cricket's perhaps?..(flour?)maggot's?

I do have a reptile seller close by..including (offcourse) the life food they need..

All knowledge shared about this, is highly appriciated!

Thanks!

Danny...

Hi Danny

It's easy to feed pameridae in winter. Just buy some maggots at a fishing shop

and put them in a box at room temperature. After about a week you will have plenty of

flies. Just congeal them.

It is possible to feed them with frozen flies, it works well.

Just be careful because young are really little, rather invisible. So you have to

add flies every 3 to 5 days.

In winter I always remove old flies to prevent them rotting.

It is also helpful during the growing season because pameridae need plenty

of food. Just the trapped insectes are not enough.

Yves

Thanks Yves!..great info.. frozen flies sounds good!..no chance on escaping into the house!

Will maggot's be okay too?..i mean before they turn into flies? (again..feeding flies is okay with me, but not so much with the person i'm currently residing at :-))

One should think that maggot's are easy prey..no exoskeleton and a good size "drink" for them..altough for some reason i have a feeling they will escape the plant..don't know why really..

Crickets?..they do have a rather thick exoskeleton..but i seem to remember something about them as well..

Any thoughts on that?

Thanks so far!..frozen flies is defenatly one to remember!

Danny...

No problem Gary..

The plant will grow on even without the bug's..it's not a necessity!

During wintertime the plant does slow down conciderably..and is much more vonurable to rot, so don't keep it too wet (more on the dry side even!), and make sure there is enough air circulation!

Foliar feeding through spraying is not recomended if i remember correctly..i'll need to check Nigel H-C's 2007 article to clarify this..or perhaps someone else know's for sure.

I'm not doing it..that's for sure, i'm not taking any chances :Laie_97: