N.truncata

Jonathan F.

Hi

Do N.truncata need full sun to grow fast and have big leaves and pitches? As mine is slow at making pitches and leaves.

I recently purchased a Nep Truncata seedling(2 months ago) and being very excited cause my Nep Sanguinea is outdoors receiving some sun and mostly shade, since I placed it under a bush, promoting new leaves that actually pitchered. I put my new Nep Truncata right next to my Sanguinea and the three little precious leaves got 3rd degree burns, my heart sank the next few days, thinking it wasnt going to make it. I immediately took it inside and placed it in a plastic(home made)humidity chamber. Several weeks later it sprouted a new leaf....Lesson I learned, never put a seedling, that was grown in a greenhouse, with near perfect conditions, then suddenly put outside cause it will result in Nep injury...now, only indoors....learn from my mistake my friend....bright but filtered light to get Nep Truncata to pitcher slightly faster....Neps are generally slow growers...

DexFC(dchasselblad74)

Edited by dchasselblad74

Yeah... I have two such plants from Wistuba. N. truncata is growing very slowly especially when it is small. I grow them in my green house with high humidity and temperatures they require, but they grow slowly. For three months they formed three new leaves with three pitchers. I don't know why but they are small can not retain its long pitchers. The pitchers stay about a month and then die.

020108716.jpg

I can't speak for every truncata but mine's doing well in bright conditions.

It's in my greenhouse receiving typical highland conditions, behind 40% shade cloth and bubble wrap. The greenhouse gets full sun pretty much all day. I got it as a large plant back in April (thanks Matt) and after putting out a couple of small pitchers while it settled in, it gave me this cracker............

526truncata.jpg

will country like malaysia which have 24-35celcius manage to make them sprout and even pitcher? humidity around 40-70%

The highland truncata is more intermediate in its temperature requirements, however there is a lowland truncata readily available.

Well done Dave, it has settled in nicely. Now it has reached that size, it should really get going.

Matt

Thanks for all your Comments, I will leave the nepenthes where it is in the greenhouse with bubble wrap so it gets a lot of sun.

If your truncata is highland, make sure you give it the temp drop of at least 10 degree at night for proper growth and for pitcher production.....Good luck

DexFC(dchasselblad74)